The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Wiseman! Timing Skipped! Please Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BacknBlack92ESi

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 19, 2003
Kansas City, Missouri
Latly my v-belts have been squeelin. Didnt think much of it. This entire weekend has been raning. When ever it rains my car doesnt start. Its just moisture I said. But Sunday evening I tried to start my car, wouldnt turn over. I had friends come over to look at it. I checked my cam gears, noticed I didnt see the marks, None of them lined up like they was supposed to. After a couple hours of messing around it finally turned over. But not for very long. It had no power. RPMS higher than 3K would make the belt jump up and down, it had no tension on it, very loose. So I killed it so I woudldnt further due any more damage that it might have already caused. Ill try to have pics of the marks so you can get a real idea of what happened. Could I just adjust the timing belt tensioner so it would be tighter? I was just going to replace the t-belt all its self. But not sure if it did any damage or not. Im going to look at the head also. Any help is very appreciated. Thx

If that stuff doesn't line up, you might want to make it the way it should be.

ah yes the infamous timing belt(####ing peice of godamned #### sucking shit<-sorry had to vent), anyway if the belt doesn't seem to be stretched in any way then ya the tensioner could need some adjusting and what not. Did you see how many teeth the belt jumped or is it really really off?? Luckily you only bent a few valves at most since you weren't running your car hard when all this happened. Also how long have you had the timing belt on your car for? And ya untill you take off the head you can't get any real idea of how much damage you did. When my belt snapped i thought it was all good but when i took of my head all 16 valves were bent my valve guides were done for and my pistons looked like shit :barf: . Sorry to hear about this shit. Ask you auto teacher if he has any idea from what i have read in you other posts he seems pretty knowledgable about the 4g63. Let us know how it goes.
-zach-

P.S.- I know this is off topic but where did you get your black out taillight covers i have been looking for some but can't find them anywhere. thanks.

Well I am back and done after 5 days. Monday I started to check all possible problems and checking them off. Tueday. I started taking everything apart, timing belt, all belts etc..I replaced all belts and timing is re-set. I took off the head. (that took awhile) I bent 9 out of 16 valves. Not bad. I just replaced all of them with new ones. Also I re-seated and installed new piston rings. Since mine were shot. Also I checked the ECU. It had the "fishy smell". I got one real cheap and tried it. I still have some other issues and problems to deal with. But it is running, but still really rich at high rpms. Also smokes after all this. Ill keep every updated on my situation. I havnt been on since Monday. Ive been working on my car since then till about 12AM everynight.

BTW:98eclipseRS the tail lights are tinted. I just used this Transparent RC Window Tint Spray found at most local Hobby Stores. I used about 2 cans of it to get it that dark. Just use really light coats. Thats what I did. After about 3 monthes it just started peeling and chipping off. So I said what the hell, I took it off with Finger Nail Pollish Remover. Its back to stock form. Its weired since Im so used to the black tail lights. But Ill get used to it. And everyone didnt reconize my car without the black-out tail lights. So they might be back from demand:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back