The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Wiseco piston questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam's GSX

5+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2018
Hohenwald, Tennessee
I've just picked up an engine and it came with eagle rods and wiseco pistons, my main question is which specific rings to get
Part number is: 6596m855 (5551b)
I've looked into it a bit, found some information but definitely want to be sure.

Also it seems that they might be stroker pistons, (from what I've read) 9.0:1 compression I believe, the pistons and rods are removed right now, (I'm taking the head, block and crank to a mechine shop soon)
But the engine was running before I received it, does that mean it is a 2.3L? And it already has a 100mm crank? (Is there a way to check that? it's still in the block, oil pan is removed though)

Anyway, any help is appropriate, sorry if what I am saying is inexperienced, but everyone has to start somewhere, thanks guys.

Oh ok, thanks man, 2 questions, would I need 4 of the support rings? Or more? Also would my cylinders be .02 bored? (Just want to get the right things)

How to check Wiseco pistons part number is, remove the first "6" from the number on the piston top, 596M855 is the part number. And After the "M" is the bore size, so in this case it's 85.50mm. The ring sets that come with the piston kit is 8550XX but you should measure the cylinder block bore size before ordering new sets as I mentioned in your previous post.
And you have stroker pistons doesn't mean 100% you have a 100mm crank. 1.13" compression height pistons are also used for a 2.0L Long rod (88mm crank + 156mm rod). If you can't distinguish the stroke by seeing the crank from the bottom side, you can check it by measuring the travel distance of the piston top from BDC to TDC.

If you find a part number of the rods or crank, you can tell from that. If you don't see any part numbers, just measure the stroke.
If the eagle rods are the older model, you find the part number on the side of beam but the newer model don't have it. If the crank is aftermarket, you generally find the part number on #1 counterweight (belt side).

The factory stroker cranks i've seen and dealt with have offset oil holes on the mains. Where a standard 63 crank the main oil holes all line up in a straight line.
So you could pop off the mains and see if the oiling holes are offset or not.

Ignore the mods that were done to the cranks in the picture, but look at the mains.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Oh that's neat, I put a ruler down the cylinder when the crank was all the way down, then rotated it to tdc, it measured to 100mm difference, so I believe it's a 2.3, that is a way to do it right?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back