The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Wiring non oem two speed fan help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95burgundyesi

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, Illinois
I recently switched to a larger radiator, and due to fitment I must hack up the factory shroud, or try to wire in another size fan. For now I would like to try to install one of those taurus fans many people do as a cheaper route.

Only issue I have is understanding what needs to be changed on the 2g harness to support the taurus fan that draws more amps. I would ideally like to use the stock rad. fan pigtail wired into the taurus fan, so things are still just ran by plugging into the main harness. But I'm not sure what else needs to be done so I don't damage things.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Great info on the wiring with stock plugs, Thank you.

Now I need to know how I should handle the amps that the new fan will draw. I have found that upon start up the fan will spike to 90 amps for a split second, and continuously draw around 33 amps. I see the stock radiator fan linkable fuse is a 30 amp in the fuse box, so I'm assuming something extra needs to be in place to handle the additional amps, correct?[DOUBLEPOST=1409030645][/DOUBLEPOST]
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is what I am coming up with from a quick google search. I shamelessly stole this.

Last edited:
All fans spike at turn on although 90A is really high. 33A continuous - wow! Yep you better rewire it's circuit as you have shown with at least 8 gauge wire. Do you really need such a powerful single fan instead of 2 slim or spal fans?

I have no problem running two slim fans or a single one if it could keep up. I mainly see higher temps, over 200°F, after a hard autox run. I just know the single taurus fan really cooled my 240sx. On high it brought temps below 175°.

If you have any suggestions for a slim fan set up that could keep me under 200°F I would definitely consider that route if it doesn't require circuit rewiring.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back