The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Wiring for shifter with no TCU

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
So trying to wire this thing up and found this thread... https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/kiggly-mod-walk-through-no-tcu.499441/

Problem is that the connector I have is different than what's on the post. Got this connector in the mail today and the wiring colors are different and looks like one of them is missing. Not sure if that one is even needed though. Wondering if someone could lend a hand on what goes where please???

Wire connector in the post above...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And the connector I have...

@Boomdeeze, you able to lend a hand by chance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I am not a 2g guy but the wiring will be really straight forward. You have a A solenoid, B solenoid, Pressure solenoid and converter lockup. Which picture is the one from your car/transmission? We can look up the colors for the trans from that and do it with 3 switches. It's not real hard but I'd have to go thru my 98 FSM to find your wiring colors. I can but I'm running to town for a sandwich right now.

Honestly the wires look to be in all the same locations. Only difference seems to be the colors. Just match up the pin locations on the different plug and label the wires you need with the colors written in the writeup. Mine were different too as I had a 1G, but I just used the pinout and it worked. Also I ended up looping the NSS because I could never get it to start with how it was originally written up.

What makes it difficult for me is that I can't see all the wires in the picture that he posted, and in the picture that Kiggly posted, it looks as though there's 10 wires. I'm counting 11 on my plug. Not sure if the wires on a 1g NSS (Like Kiggly's picture) are the same for a 2g.

Honestly the wires look to be in all the same locations. Only difference seems to be the colors. Just match up the pin locations on the different plug and label the wires you need with the colors written in the writeup. Mine were different too as I had a 1G, but I just used the pinout and it worked. Also I ended up looping the NSS because I could never get it to start with how it was originally written up.

What do you mean, you looped it?

Oh, shit Scott, I didn't even recognize your profile since you changed pictures. Lol. If you're curious hit me up on facebook.

But the short and skinny is there's a wire that goes to the shifter then to the starter, and it needs to see the car is in park before it'll let you start it. I and a lot of other people when I searched, could never get it to start that way so I just bypassed it. I think I have the OEM wiring diagram saved on my PC somewhere for the shifter and stuff. Let me search a little and see if I can find it. It helped me a ton.

Lol, I've had that picture there for a pretty good while now.

I'm trying to keep as many technical post on the forums to help others, and also be able to refer back to this crap myself. If you have any pictures that would be great because I can't see the wires very easily in the other pictures posted. If you look at mine, I tried to move them in such a way that you can see where every wire goes on the plug and wire color.

I understand what you mean about bypassing the NSS, but I wasn't sure how you did it exactly. It's not like a manual where you just disconnect the switch and call it a day.

Last edited:
Okay so I found a couple pictures, I think more are on my actual PC back in NC, so I'll get that asap.

Here's one picture of the OG 2G NSS pin w/ wire colors and also what some do/are for.

And here's the thread I used to bypass the safety switch.
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-auto-no-signal-to-starter.461253/

Post #2.

If it has 3 blk/red wires your car is an automatic then?
One of the blk/red should not have power, it is a ground for the relay field coil thru the Neutral safety switch.
( that is terminal 1 of the relay)
If you have power while cranking on the other 2 blk/red (they are from the same source) your ign switch & theft system if equipt is functioning.
With the relay connected & ignition in the cranking position you should get 12 volts or less cause the car would be cranking.

Need to focus on that smaller blk/red wire & make sure it has a ground thru the neutral safety switch.
This is a pinout of the relay. (-this is automatic specific manual's are different-)
1) this is the ground provided by the neutral safety for relay's field coil
2) not used
3) power supply from ignition switch for starter relay's field coil
4) power supply from ignition switch to power starter solenoid
5) switched power output- to power the starter solenoid once the relay's field coil has power & ground to close the relay's switch.

If you jump 4 & 5 ( the larger 2 terminals) key in crank position it should activate the starter.
It will crank no matter what gear your in...

Hope this helps some. It does appear after looking closer that you're missing a wire in the middle section. May have to de-pin it/switch the pins around. The picture above should help. Here's the picture attached to the post quoted above.

If I need to, Scott, I can get my dad to take a picture of my Talons NSS wiring and send it to me. Or if you PM me I'll give you the address of where the car is at in Pensacola, and you can look/pick it apart in person all you like. I'll tell him to give you full access to it.

Eh, I don't foresee myself driving the 2 1/2 to 3 hours one way to get over there to look at that. Lol. But I have this figured out. Just need confirmation, and have a list at the below the picture.

@KeelesKustome posted up a picture with wiring color and a list as well and attaching my notes for anyone else looking at this to make it easier, so long as this is correct. I'm numbering each wire (to the left of each wire or right on top of it) to keep it from being confusing, and then the list that's in order to follow. Would love to have a working NSS if possible.

1.big red. blue stripe goes to - Positive/red wire from the manual harness reverse plug to make the reverse lights work
2.big black. white stripe goes to - Negative/black from the manual harness reverse plug to make the reverse lights work
3.yellow. red stripe -goes to solenoids, attached like the 1g diagram shows
4.yellow - goes to solenoids attached like the 1g diagram shows
5.yellow. black stripe - goes to solenoids attached like the 1g diagram shows
6.white. black stripe - not needed, get rid of
7.red. blue stripe - not needed, get rid of
8.blue. red stripe - 12v power wire needed
9.black. yellow stripe - not needed, get rid of
10.black - ground needed, Starter signal from key
11.black. red stripe - Starter Signal wire to Starter

Now I just have to figure out how it compares to the Kiggly drawing and the 2 plug connector and swapping the two wires around, blah blah blah. I hate wiring with a passion.

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-17_22-29-49.png
    upload_2020-7-17_22-29-49.png
    330.8 KB · Views: 143
  • upload_2020-7-17_22-32-26.png
    upload_2020-7-17_22-32-26.png
    175 KB · Views: 147
This plug here coming from the valve body has 4 wires. I'm going to assume that 2 of them aren't being used and will basically just sit there....

And this below is what connects to it.

Okay so I think I about have the wiring completed now. My NSS plug is different in that it has different wiring colors and one of the wires were missing, so that part was a nightmare until someone helped me figure all that out. Guy named Bryan Scharch helped me out and sent me this picture. He just uses these 4 wires. Blue wire for the switched 12v power, and then the other 3 yellow wires for 1st, 2nd, 3rd (and 4th if you have a switch wired in). That made it much easier....

So to start with, here's the picture I posted above and I'll list which ones I kept and the ones I got rid of.

1.big red. blue stripe goes to - Positive/red wire from the manual harness reverse plug to make the reverse lights work
2.big black. white stripe goes to - Negative/black from the manual harness reverse plug to make the reverse lights work
3.yellow. red stripe -goes to solenoids, attached like the 1g diagram shows
4.yellow - goes to solenoids attached like the 1g diagram shows
5.yellow. black stripe - goes to solenoids attached like the 1g diagram shows
6.white. black stripe - Deleted
7.red. blue stripe - Deleted
8.blue. red stripe - 12v power wire needed
9.black. yellow stripe - Deleted
10.black - Starter signal from key- Deleted, apparently the stock manual harness works fine but be careful not to start in gear
11.black. - Starter Signal wire to Starter- Deleted, apparently the stock manual harness works fine but be careful not to start in gear

I would suggest to first try and depin/cut everything you don't need so as to not get confused. I kept wires 1 and 2 because I wanted reverse lights. I had a 1g knock sensor that had a plug that was similar but had to grind down the back of it so that it would fit. I didn't want to hardwire that in and wanted to be able to disconnect as needed.

Then I looked at these pictures to simplify the rest of the wiring for the other 3 yellow wires. First picture is so that you know which wires to connect the 3 wires to.

So after all the soldering and heat shrink, this is my end result.

So in all, I had to hook up 6 wires total. My wiring color was different but blue wire, 3 yellow wires, and 2 for reverse. Now if it'll start on this, I don't know yet. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But if there's an issue, I'll be posting back and issues or resolutions.

So by that chart, #2 here would be a positive wire?!?!?!? #6 in the chart is certainly not a red/blue wire that's in that position as per the picture below. Guess I need to figure that out before I burn it to the ground, if polarity is even a concern in that area.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated Scott, that is what is so useful about this forum and what we brag about!

Just to update because I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get 2nd gear. Dumb on my part but others "could" have this issue, so here ya go.

I just watched it again. I think I did a great job of repeating myself over and over. But some people need that sometimes before it sinks in. Lol.

So trying to wire this thing up and found this thread... https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/kiggly-mod-walk-through-no-tcu.499441/

Problem is that the connector I have is different than what's on the post. Got this connector in the mail today and the wiring colors are different and looks like one of them is missing. Not sure if that one is even needed though. Wondering if someone could lend a hand on what goes where please???

Wire connector in the post above...

And the connector I have...

@Boomdeeze, you able to lend a hand by chance?

Sorry for not seeing this @v8s_are_slow , I swear it wasn’t personal!

Just to clarify this, the plug you got is for an interior harness but will work as the neutral safety switch, just missing one of the larger inner wires (believe it’s one of the starter wires) and the colors are off as you found.

No biggie. This has long since been resolved. But appreciate ya 😉

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back