The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Wiring for alternator updated picture

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havlc2u

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2012
BFE, North_Dakota
Ok here is the issue I can jump start my car just fine
but the battery does not hold a charge.I
noticed that this wire is hanging right by the alternator.
It comes from the same wiring bundle as the rest of the alternator wires.
It has a metal loop on it just not sure where it goes. Below is a pic sorry crappy pic but its the loop next to the orange boost that covers what I believe to be a positive connection.

Also under load when I shift from 1st to 2nd it dies then it refires of course when I let the clutch out. I put the first 50mile run on my rebuild yesterday. During this time it ran just fine no misfires or anything boosted up to 5psi just fine.
Can this whole alternator thing cause this also car would fire up yesterday just fine also.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by metal loop. The pic looks like the spade connector for the oil pressure sender that controls the stock gauge in car. Your alternator should have a four wire pigtail, and a thick wired ring terminal (orange boot) that slips onto the threaded post, no other connectors. I believe the 4 wire pigtail has a thick red, thick black, white, and green wire

I just reread. You said metal loop but the pic doesn't look like a metal loop to me. If the ring (metal loop) terminal wire comes out the same harness as alternator wires it should be for the oil pressure dummy light. When you first turn on key there should be the oil light. After engine started light should go off.

I don't know what you mean by metal loop. The pic looks like the spade connector for the oil pressure sender that controls the stock gauge in car. Your alternator should have a four wire pigtail, and a thick wired ring terminal (orange boot) that slips onto the threaded post, no other connectors. I believe the 4 wire pigtail has a thick red, thick black, white, and green wire

I just reread. You said metal loop but the pic doesn't look like a metal loop to me. If the ring (metal loop) terminal wire comes out the same harness as alternator wires it should be for the oil pressure dummy light. When you first turn on key there should be the oil light. After engine started light should go off.

Yeah it's not for the oil light that Is hooked to the sensor it's a lot larger than that. So on the alternator there is the normal plug then there is like a positive hookup which has like a boot on it. Is there any other wires that go to it?

It's just a hold down on the alternator it should have a bolt with either an 8 mm head or a double sided stud. It bolts down to the alternator itself.

Its not a ground. That bracket just holds the harness away from the 02 housing/heatshield so it doesn't melt. Quite helpful, really.

Check your 100A alternator fuse located in engine bay, fuse panel. It's possible you arced a wrench from exhaust manifold to the alternator when tightening the nut for B+ terminal (orange boot). If blown, the fuse is held on with small bolts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back