The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Wiring Dynatec ARC2 on a 1990?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowgsr

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2007
hamilton, ON_Canada
Well, let me start off by saying, ive found a few great articles on how to install this thing, on 1991-1999 as well as the 1990 cars.

Here is what I want to do.

I want to re-wire my ignition to 1991-1994 style power transistor, reason being I had a few issues last season with the connector poping off my 1990 power transistor, and there not as easy to come by as the 1991-1994 style, so if it ever 'wears out' again, It will be easy for me to replace.

It was just an issue with where the electrical connector clips onto the transistor, the tabs on the transistor were warn out.

Anyways, converting to 1991-1994 seems fairly straight forward.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...4-ecu-swap-into-1990-dsm-ignition-wiring.html

However, im using a AEM EMS, not a factory style computer. I run a wire from pin # 109 of the ECU, to pin #4 on the new power transistor, it also mentions to switch wires on pins #6, and #14.

However, when I look up the pinouts for pin 6 and 14 (idle position switch), and (idle switch). I don't use either of those, and aren't part of my active wiring harness, so im going to ignore that part.

On another note I am not using a factory tach or cluster for that matter

OK, so thats what I 'get' from what I need to do to re-wire the power transistor.

Now.. Issue #2. Onto the coil pack wiring! Yay.

I currently have a 1990 coil pack, as well as a 1991 coil pack, For the 1991 I have both sides of the pigtail since I took it from a scrap car I had.

The ARC 2 is plug and play for 1991-1999, but not my 1990, So I did find this great write up.

Dynatek ARC-2 install for 1990 year DSMs - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

Now, When i study this, it tells me I need to re-use the tacho interface, just re-wire it slightly. Which isn't a big deal. Then I can use a 1991 coil pack which is 3 wire, instead of 4 wire.

Here is what gets me, once Ive converted to the 1991-1994 style transistor, I will have eliminated the white tach interface wire that is on the 1990 style coil pack, so I will only be using 3 of the 4 wires, and the tach interface wire now goes to the new power transistor instead of the coil pack.

If I convert to the 1991-1994 style power transistor FIRST, could I not just swap out the 4 pin coil pack connector on my wiring harness to the 3 pin 1991-1994 style and do the plug and play thing with the arc2 like everyone else?

Please remember, I don't need any signal to feed the factory tach since I am not using it! I just want this arc2 to work on my 1990 using 1991-1994 style power transistor =) Im going to feed my aftermarket tach from the tach output on the arc2.

Thanks, Ill post up my findings when I get this thing figured out!

Cheers everyone!

Final thoughts

Ok, as far as I can tell.

I can simply use a 91 style coil pack (3 wire) that will plug into the arc2.

The old 90 style coil pack connector on my harness can be swapped to a 91 style (3 wire), and the white wire that used to go to the coil pack can now go straight to the new 1991-1994 style power transistor. Since I don't need the signal to feed the cluster, just the ECU.

Lastly. since I don't need the coil pack to feed the signal to the stock tach, I don't need to re-use the tacho interface from my 1990 coil pack, since my ARC2itself will be feeidng and aftermarket tach.

Does this sound right?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I question you not having a IPS but the rest is simple.

Wire up the 91+ PTM and coils, get the tach signal from it to your AEM and forget about the 90/91 differences in the ignition system since you don't have the gauge or ECU that care. As far as the ARC2 knows at that point your a 91+ car.

Thanks! Just as I was thinking.

I'm using a q45 throttle body, which dosent incorperate a IPS and last season on the stock throttle body I never had it hooked up and it ran decently fine during decel.

Cheers!

i would just forgo all of the stock ignition wiring and use the ignition outputs of the aem to directly fire the dynatek box.

The only problem with that is if the arc2 box ever fails I won't be able to bypass it to atleast run the car.

you can still wire it so you can just go past the power transistor still allowing it to be plugged in. i believe the ems can directly fire coils anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back