The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Wiper Sprayer? Seriously?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
I just read a couple posts about ppl re routing their Windshield sprayer to use into the intaje to help cool IATs. Is that serious and more importantly safe?

Or were they meaning they were spraying it on the outside of the intercooler?

so you had to start a new thread vs asking in the old thread.

its not so different than the ic sprayer that a sti had. as far as safe i dont even have windshield wipers on my car so who care about safe. and other than making a mess the spray will not hurt anything

I was just talking about this in another thread. Most people just reroute the lines leading to the rear windshield wiper nozzle and lead it to a specific point spray the intercooler with water or whatever solution you fill the tank with. That way you can still use the original tank for the fluid, and the original switch to activate it.

I started a new thread because thats not what the threads were about. It just mentioned it in the post. Amd who the hell are you to question why I am starting a post?

Just wanted to clarify on how it was used. And who cares about safe? Anyone with a brain who values there car and life cares about safe.

Thanks for the useful responses!

sprays the outside. how much more unsafe is,this,than driving in the rain? same thing. when it rains intercooler gets wet. spray it, it gets wet. whats the difference?

I started a new thread because thats not what the threads were about. It just mentioned it in the post. Amd who the hell are you to question why I am starting a post?

because it directly related to what you read in another post why would you start a thread that the posters of the other thread might never answer. It has to do with searchability for anyone in the future. Its why there is a search button was highlighted with the last update and why threads to check for related topic come up when you start a thread.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/22375-intercooler-sprayer-merged-12-7-sprayers-ic-i-c-fmic-sidemount-smic-co2-water.html

Just wanted to clarify on how it was used. And who cares about safe? Anyone with a brain who values there car and life cares about safe.

The as far as who cares about being safe comment goes there are sacrifices that everyone decides to make for performance. if you are so concerned for your car never mod anything on it as it will lower the factory reliability. Safety is ultimately up to the operator of a vehicle. My personal car has full safety equipment necessary for a sub 9 second pass at a nhra track.

If I did I just wouldn't spray it with washer fluid that is meant for colder temps like -20. Most of the fluids for colder temps have methanol in them. Look on the bottle for ingredients. Just use something that doesn't have combustibles in it and no problems. That and the methanol will be corrosive to the aluminum IC.

because it directly related to what you read in another post why would you start a thread that the posters of the other thread might never answer. It has to do with searchability for anyone in the future. Its why there is a search button was highlighted with the last update and why threads to check for related topic come up when you start a thread.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/22375-intercooler-sprayer-merged-12-7-sprayers-ic-i-c-fmic-sidemount-smic-co2-water.html

The as far as who cares about being safe comment goes there are sacrifices that everyone decides to make for performance. if you are so concerned for your car never mod anything on it as it will lower the factory reliability. Safety is ultimately up to the operator of a vehicle. My personal car has full safety equipment necessary for a sub 9 second pass at a nhra track.
And to the posts about it being safe. I was referring to it not being safe because I wasn't sure if they meant it was used as a pre compressor spray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wetting the IC will definitely bring IATs down fast. Thing is, you dont want to hit it with a stream but a nice strong mist over the entire face of it for best results. I plan on rerouting my hose and building a sprayer... Then again, i PLAN on doing alot of shit LOL. Ive been interested in this right after i learned what a turbo was and what an intercooler did. Its a logical step and a nice cheap mod that works

See I guess it's just something I haven't heard of. Then again I haven't been around Turbo motors very long. Makes sense and sounds like something that will help with this Texas heat!

Your an idiot!

And to the posts about it being safe. I was referring to it not being safe because I wasn't sure if they meant it was used as a pre compressor spray.

Sorry you had to get all internet tough guy on me, Im shaking in my boots. I may be an idiot but i know how an ic sprayer works and with 2 seconds of searching I turned up 231 threads on this forum alone explaining how it works. Maybe next time you should try searching first. After all you agreed to do so when you submitted this thread in the first place. But you probably didnt bother to read all the red text when you made this thread as its easier to ask for an answer than to educate yourself.

I am the first person to admidt I am wrong but I also try to educate myself before I ask a question so i at least know what im talking about.

Wetting the IC will definitely bring IATs down fast. Thing is, you dont want to hit it with a stream but a nice strong mist over the entire face of it for best results. I plan on rerouting my hose and building a sprayer... Then again, i PLAN on doing alot of shit LOL. Ive been interested in this right after i learned what a turbo was and what an intercooler did. Its a logical step and a nice cheap mod that works

A efficient core that is the correct size for your turbo with proper ducting will be more beneficial than water spray. I wouldn't touch co2 as that is a oxygen displacing agent that when drawn into engine bay/intake can have negative effects on combustion if enough is pulled into the motor.

I get that an efficient IC will work, but nonetheless, if you WET something and pass air across it, it dissipates heat quicker. Im sorry, but its true. I agree, It wont be a night and day difference but it will be noticeable if done correctly.

Btw,the arguing is gettin old. I agree this thread has been discussed but chill. Both of ya

Okay pal.

Thanks again for the other positive useful help.

Just for the record, I always search before I ask a question. Didn't turn up results because I obviously didn't know of or about intercooler sprayers. So I wouldn't and didn't search specifically with that. Just a general search

Thanks again.

They tried selling kits that sprayed nitrous over the IC, they showed some nice gains. Then they realized the gains were from the intake pulling in small amounts of the nitrous LOL.

But yea like 3k said, a good core and proper ducting and heat shields can net you almost ambient intake temps. The IC spray seems kind of pointless at that point.

Might be slick on the stock sidemount though.

Sometimes its tough to get exactly what youre looking for even with the search. Everyones posted threads that have been covered. Look at 99% of em LOL, thats what keeps this site entertaining. Also, if you look at a 3 yr old thread, chances are if you repost a thread about it, new people with different experiences and knowledge will chime in. I dont blame ya at all bro

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree there is cooling to be achieved thru ic spraying. You would mostly see a larger increase with a smaller ic or a stock setup where heat soak is a larger concern. Or on an ic that is the correct size but the car is under boost for long periods like a road race session. Where it would also be beneficial would be at a slow speed where air passing over the intercooler wasn't as plentiful or on a dyno where intake temps are always higher due to the lack of airflow. At highway or track speeds the slim margin of cooling i dont think would be even noticeable considering the short time the ic will see boost.

An alternative for this that is much more beneficial for cooling charge air and helping to produce power is water/meth injection. With a snow stage 2 kit in my 3000gt my intercooler pipe and my plenum/lower intake manifold were ice cold to the touch after a rip down the track in 90* heat after sitting for an hour in the baking sun.

What if you used this to spray water on your ac coil that is blocked by the oversized intercoolers? you think it would provide a more stable ac temp? When it rains my ac is too cold, if its hot its so so..

How would that work? The IC is supposed to be sealed :confused:

Its sprayed across the core into the bay, the intake pipe is only a foot away from the IC. The mist coming through the back of the core was getting sucked into the intake.

Im sure it was small amounts, but there would only be small gains expected from spraying the core so.. LOL

@ 3k

Now your just getting into obvious information thats apparent to even the novice Turbo user. I also do agree that meth/water injection is great. On a DD though its not the most safe route.

Its sprayed across the core into the bay, the intake pipe is only a foot away from the IC. The mist coming through the back of the core was getting sucked into the intake.

Im sure it was small amounts, but there would only be small gains expected from spraying the core so.. LOL

Oh I see what you're saying now :cool:

are they safe? yes. 2003-2004 Evos came with came with water sprayer from the the factory, and as for nozzles use a finer sprayer than the one on our cars. you'll get more benefit from using a finer nozzle and higher pressure pump to reduce droplet size as much as possible. the smaller the droplets the quicker they evaporate from the surface of the intercooler, and the quicker temperature drop is realized.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back