The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Will These Scratches On My Pistons Be Ok to Run?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spadepro22

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Seneca, South_Carolina
Can I reuse these pistons? These scratches are on all of them.

Attachments

• IMAG0598.jpg
    IMAG0598.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,243
  • IMAG0597.jpg
    IMAG0597.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,209
maybe if you lightly deburr them so they dont have any sharp or protruding edges. re balance them to make sure they weigh the same.

if that doesnt turn out good as far as smoothness and roundness then they may be scrap IMO.

you should check the cylinder walls for scoring. make sure you check the rods for straighness and the cylinder walls for taper and out of round as well as size. before you reassemble.

try deburring them and see how they come out. why is the engine apart?

That first picture definitely doesn't look good. Looks to me like some pretty heavy oil contamination or dirty assembly.

If you do clean them up and reuse them, make sure to have the machinist measure the piston and set the PTW clearance based off the actual diameter of each piston, not the assumed diameter of new pistons.

If your block is toast are just wanting to swap those pistons into a good block? You could also get a set of Nippon pistons for fairly cheap if you do a rebuild.

Just realized they are wiseco pistons so that's why you want to reuse them.disregard the Nippon pistons I thought you were looking for a cheap rebuild. They look like they would clean up/ deburr well enough for re-use.

You could also get a set of Nippon pistons for fairly cheap if you do a rebuild.
I'd take mildly-damaged Wisecos over NPR's....sorry. Doesn't make sense to go backwards with your build over a few scratches from oil contamination.

100% agree with you. I didn't notice the type of pistons at first until I noticed the skirt coating and then checked out his profile.

Unless he's gonna be making over 500whp I'd take new NPR's over any scuffed pistons. They are just as strong as OEM and only $120 or so for a set. My CP's are $150 a piece. So I'm guessing Wiseco's would be about the same. If your tight on cash get NPR's if not I'd replace those. If there is any metal still in the skirt your gonna scratch the walls and ruin your compression/bore. IMO

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back