The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

will rtv work for j-pipe gasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asd_gst

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2008
port royal, South_Carolina
my jpipe for my fmic kit will be here tomorrow but i dont have a gasket for it, some told me rtv will work, is this true? also rtv on my egr block off plate?

yes, it will work for both purposes. I ust used it on my brothers car for his J-pipe and it sealed like a champ.

I have used high temp copper rtv on the j-pipe before without problems. Just make sure you put it on the outside part of the flange so it doen't squeeze into the path of the air when you tighten the j-pipe down.

Perhaps if you're sure both surfaces were completely flat....however, I would still use a cut gasket and back it up with RTV just to make sure there are no imperfections (large gaps) that the RTV couldn't fill by itself. You'd be surprised how distorted flanges with 2 pinch bolts can become over time.

Bro, while your at the parts store buy a sheet or gasket material! Its dirt cheap.
then simply cut your own gasket, hammer a socket through it for a perfect hole, then simply trace around the jpipe flange with. Pencil and cut it out. Won't take 3 mins a d you won't have to use gimpy RTV.

Bro, while your at the parts store buy a sheet or gasket material! Its dirt cheap.
then simply cut your own gasket, hammer a socket through it for a perfect hole, then simply trace around the jpipe flange with. Pencil and cut it out. Won't take 3 mins a d you won't have to use gimpy RTV.

alright thanks ill check it out

Funny how, RRE tells everyone to use ultra grey RTV for their J pipes, and they don't give out a gaskets with their install kit.

Oh wait, maybe because it works fine?

Worked for me.

Worked for me too. I used the high temp RTV specifically designed for making gaskets. It was a little messy but no leaks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back