The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

will lightweight flywheel fly through firewall?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsed20

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 11, 2003
racine_wi
I am in the process of building about a 500ho gst and I purchased a Fidanzia lightweight flywheel, but someone told me to go back to stock flywheel because they have seen them fly through firewall on built cars. Wives-tale or possibility? Should I go back to stock flywheel in the name of safety?

has anyone ever heard of this happening, actual experiences?

Never heard of it on DSMs, but have seen it on a 650hp firebird, if you don't feel safe about it put a scatter shield on it and that will keep it from flying through the firewall.

Sounds very unlikely on a DSM, but of course in the land of flukes anything can happen. That's a _lot_ of metal for the shrapnel to make it through, though. And unlike a RWD car, you're not sitting next to the source if it lets go. I'd worry more about the closed runway you use as a dragstrip suddenly being re-opened by an out-of-fuel jet liner whose ground crew didn't know kilos from pounds.

Y'know, I think your friend with that super tuning knowledge is right!

And to make sure that flywheel doesn't become a flying buzz saw, terrorizing all spectators and yourself, hunting you down at every corner, like a deranged frisbee killer, you should put MORE weight on the flywheel. Just stick some of those big wheel weights on it, 20 or so more pounds, and you'll be cruising sweet.

Yeah, if the flywheel weighs too little, it might not snarflak with the garkle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back