The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Will a turboed 4g64 with mostly stock parts from a 4g63T pass CA smog?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August578

Proven Member
Jun 15, 2021
Eastvale, California
I have decided to embark on the journey of turboing my 4g64 spyder gs. I was curious since I live in California emissions are stricter, will a turboed 4g64 fail emissions? I know that you can't touch anything pre cat or something like that but if I take most of the stock parts from a 63T like manifold, housing and etc, maybe a little bigger turbo from the t25 to something like a 14b or 16g. Obviously I will have my cats and such but I know for running a turbo you need more fuel to the engine. I also plan on swapping it with a turbo ecu from a stock gst. I probably will run only about 10psi for now for DD on stock internals. I am still very new to cars and this would be my first turbo build. Thanks!

P.S Also if plan to run a FMIC and aftermarket intercooling pipes will that add another factor? Thanks

Doesn't California require a visual inspection, and all parts to be either stock, or CARB stickered? I would imagine that they would view turbo parts from a different car to be "not stock".

Given that a lot of people in California successfully register modified cars, I'm sure there's a way to do it, but my supposition is that a super by the book place will not like it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back