The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Will a stock converter come off the line decently with this hx40 combo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
Going auto very soon but can't afford a converter yet. . My combo is as follows, just wondering if I'll be able to spool enough at the line to get a decent launch.

Eagle/wiseco 9:1 short block
Stock had casting with BC springs and retainers
Dks 264/272 cams
Cyclone intake properly actuated through stand alone engine management
Tnetics cast t3 manifold
Hx35 turbine in .68 ar garret housing
58mm hx40 compressor wheel and housing
E85 , 1600cc injectors, 450 pump
I think those are all the parts that should matter

So should i do the swap or should i wait on a converter because it will be a dog out of the hole?

I have haltech engine management so i can set anti lag, 2 steps or what ever i need, above would be great

I'll say this...

On an Evo III 16G and HKS 272 cams, I could get a stocker to spool up.

On a DSM76 HTA with HKS 272's, could NOT get it to stall up. On an old IPT stock restall, I got it to stall up in about 10 sec.

Same turbo but with GSC S2's, the restall would not stall up. I put a dry 35 shot on, and it stalled quickly.

Those are my experiences.

I'll say this...

On an Evo III 16G and HKS 272 cams, I could get a stocker to spool up.

On a DSM76 HTA with HKS 272's, could NOT get it to stall up. On an old IPT stock restall, I got it to stall up in about 10 sec.

Same turbo but with GSC S2's, the restall would not stall up. I put a dry 35 shot on, and it stalled quickly.

Those are my experiences.

Were you using a 3" gm maf and spraying before?

I have a circle D converter that I'm going to be installing behind a 2.3/comp101200/.82 hta3582 and I have considered the fact I might need nitrous.

I will be switching to a high end precision, bradco, or sinister converter when budget allows.

Were you using a 3" gm maf and spraying before?

I have a circle D converter that I'm going to be installing behind a 2.3/comp101200/.82 hta3582 and I have considered the fact I might need nitrous.

I will be switching to a high end precision, bradco, or sinister converter when budget allows.

I run Werewolf Speed Density. No MAF for me since my car was stock back in 2010.

I'm in a similar situation, I would like to see how I'll be able to get up on an fp black and a stock converter, I'll probably end up doing a dry 50 shot pre turbo and see what happens. I have comp 101200s, JMF drag intake, 2.0 8.5:1 compression. But I do have a bunch of nozzles to test!

Going auto very soon but can't afford a converter yet. . My combo is as follows, just wondering if I'll be able to spool enough at the line to get a decent launch.

Eagle/wiseco 9:1 short block
Stock had casting with BC springs and retainers
Dks 264/272 cams
Cyclone intake properly actuated through stand alone engine management
Tnetics cast t3 manifold
Hx35 turbine in .68 ar garret housing
58mm hx40 compressor wheel and housing
E85 , 1600cc injectors, 450 pump
I think those are all the parts that should matter

So should i do the swap or should i wait on a converter because it will be a dog out of the hole?

I have haltech engine management so i can set anti lag, 2 steps or what ever i need, above would be great

Even if you could build boost on the stock converter, it would take a while so it will not be good for your trans. You might as well wait till you get a restalled converter with anti-ballooning plate for nitrous or get an aftermarket converter from ipt, bradco, sinister etc...

On the other hand, I know beans has sprayed a small shot (35 shot or so I believe) of nitrous on his stock converter in order to spool fast out of the hole and that worked well for him...

Could you fill me in on the dry shot with speed density? Do you just tune for it during antilag?

I have the spray nozzle between my MAP sensor and the throttlebody.

My antilag is ghetto rigged. It's just a 2 step that will pull timing through my arc-2 ignition when I have the brake pedal depressed (wired through a relay and switch). Nitrous is just on a push button to stall up, then I let go of the button once i'm on the 2 step and maintaining launch boost. Car ran rich enough bouncing off the limiter and a 35-50 shot is small enough I didn't really have to mess with the tune in that area.

I'm running a 75 shot dry on a stock converter and ECM Link speed density. I can make 10psi in 3 seconds and (20psi in 5 seconds not recommended) great way to break transfer gears if you dead hook.
I'm using anti lag on Link.
Enable antilag with TPS >= 90%
Hold timing at 10.1 ATDC*
Enrich fuel 50%

the price of bottled gasses not to mention driving at least an hour to get them puts N2o out of the picture for me, so i gutess it's selling parts and saving money untill i can get a spoolinater or a restall

Even if you could build boost on the stock converter, it would take a while so it will not be good for your trans. You might as well wait till you get a restalled converter with anti-ballooning plate for nitrous or get an aftermarket converter from ipt, bradco, sinister etc...

On the other hand, I know beans has sprayed a small shot (35 shot or so I believe) of nitrous on his stock converter in order to spool fast out of the hole and that worked well for him...
I have sprayed a dry 50 more times than not. Also when I throw an ebay 16g on when my hx40 let go I sprayed right over a 100shot to spool and for the whole run. Ive never had issues with the stock converter. But then again I love my Bradco and would never go back.

I have sprayed a dry 50 more times than not. Also when I throw an ebay 16g on when my hx40 let go I sprayed right over a 100shot to spool and for the whole run. Ive never had issues with the stock converter. But then again I love my Bradco and would never go back.
Do you richen up your mix in any particular area to run your dry shot all the way through the run? Any tips?
I have mine plumbed but haven't got everything wired yet and I would like to spray a 35-50 all through my runs.

the price of bottled gasses not to mention driving at least an hour to get them puts N2o out of the picture for me, so i gutess it's selling parts and saving money untill i can get a spoolinater or a restall

You'd be surprised how long a dry 35 or 50 shot on a 10lb bottle will last you. I haven't refilled my bottle in almost a year and probably have 20-30 hits on it.

Man, i know i only got 3 to 5 pulls out of a100 shot before out would start surging from bring near empty when i team it for a full pass

Think i might sell or trade my 9;1 eagle /wiseco block to get a good converter, as stock block will handle my current power levels decently and I've got two stock 6 bolts as spares ..anyone interested hit me up

when did you get the Circle D converter and who did you talk to? I know a few people that work there, and was told that they don't have parts to build a correct converter for a 1g.

when did you get the Circle D converter and who did you talk to? I know a few people that work there, and was told that they don't have parts to build a correct converter for a 1g.

It's been like 4-6 months I'm guessing after going back through pics. I had some of the receipt I can not find

They labeled it mit-210

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back