The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Will a 91 hyundai sanata crank shaft drop into my 6bolt N/T fwd??Stroker shoping question??????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt Eagle

Proven Member
Mar 27, 2014
San Clemente, California
Im trying to do a stroker build. Will the 91 Hyundai sonata crank shaft drop into my 92 eagle talon n/t 6 bolt. Bumping stroke up to 100mm then I will buy new rods and pistons? Ik this message is short but It's cut and dry what im asking? Please help my newbie ass!

Yes you can, this swap is called a 2.3 stroker setup.
using a 2.4 6 bolt G4CS/4G64/G64B hyundai/mitsu crankshaft in the 2.0 4G63 turbo or non turbo block.
you will need 6mm shorter [raised wrist pin] stroker pistons.
with these pistons you can use stock length rods.

And make sure the crank and block is inspected by a reputable shop before buying the expensive parts.

Yes you can, this swap is called a 2.3 stroker setup.
using a 2.4 6 bolt G4CS/4G64/G64B hyundai/mitsu crankshaft in the 2.0 4G63 turbo or non turbo block.
you will need 6mm shorter [raised wrist pin] stroker pistons.
with these pistons you can use stock length rods.
And make sure the crank and block is inspected by a reputable shop before buying the expensive parts.

GREAT! That was what I thought but I wasn't sure if it would be a direct fit! What is the crank shaft connecting point piston diameter?
How does the timing set up work? What will I need to do?

Do you mean the main crank journal diameter,or the rod journal diameter.

also in some cases the block bores might need to be clearanced for the extra throw of the rods depending on what stroker kit you decide to use.

as long as you are using the 2.0 block.
the timing marks should all be the same as the stock 4G63.

Do you mean the main crank journal diameter,or the rod journal diameter.

also in some cases the block bores might need to be clearanced for the extra throw of the rods depending on what stroker kit you decide to use.

as long as you are using the 2.0 block.
the timing marks should all be the same as the stock 4G63.

I'm not positive which is which but I believe rod journal diameter, the attachment point of the rods?
What rods would you suggest? You said 8 mm less? I've got a set of NPR pistons in mind or maybe just use stock I don't know yet. This is a Friday night dirt track car so I'm on a pretty low budget.

Ahem... I said [SIX] 6mm lower pistons, which are known as stroker pistons, they are custom made forged pistons that have a 6mm higher wrist pin which makes up for the 100mm crank,these pistons are custom made by companies like ross,manly,je,wiseco, etc.
if you use stroker pistons you can use stock length after-market h or I beam connecting rods, they use full floating wrist pins vs the stock press fit ones.

you can't use stock spec pistons they will crash into the valves cause of the extra stroke just use custom stroker pistons.

a reputable machine shop should inspect the block and the crank before you begin purchasing any pistons or rods.

Ahem... I said [SIX] 6mm lower pistons, which are known as stroker pistons, they are custom made forged pistons that have a 6mm higher wrist pin which makes up for the 100mm crank,these pistons are custom made by companies like ross,manly,je,wiseco, etc.
if you use stroker pistons you can use stock length after-market h or I beam connecting rods, they use full floating wrist pins vs the stock press fit ones.

you can't use stock spec pistons they will crash into the valves cause of the extra stroke just use custom stroker pistons.

a reputable machine shop should inspect the block and the crank before you begin purchasing any pistons or rods.

Sorry I miss read that! Do you have a suggestion of a site to buy from? Maybe a link?
A cheep question tho. Would shorter rods provide more stability with the stock pistons? Ik that sounds crazy and is probably wrong but my thought is if the rod is lower it would still maintain the stroke level and a shorter rod would be stronger?
Sorry for the extreme newbie questions I'm still trying to understand all sides of this.

You need to tell us your budget. You say you dont want to put money into the car since its for a dirt track but you're looking into a stroker setup which would require a new or used crank, new forged stroker pistons(as they dont make cast stroker pistons) and at bare minimum h beam rods to go with floating pins along with all the machine work. This is already going to be over $2000 by itself.

You need to be realistic with your budget and goals.

You need to tell us your budget. You say you dont want to put money into the car since its for a dirt track but you're looking into a stroker setup which would require a new or used crank, new forged stroker pistons(as they dont make cast stroker pistons) and at bare minimum h beam rods to go with floating pins along with all the machine work. This is already going to be over $2000 by itself.

You need to be realistic with your budget and goals.

I understand my original budget was un-realistic, I thought I could use alot more stock component but now I see I was wrong... hence posting as a newbie. However, I see no reason I couldn't get this done for around $1000.
Pistons for around $500
found a hyundai 6 bolt crank for $140
you say i need new rods --- I'm lost on rods and what the difference is so an explanation would be appreciated. Maybe a link please?
Machine work- no clue yet.
What am I missing

You need new rods because the pistons are a floating wrist pin design. While you can have your stock rods sized to the pins (.001" press fit) it is a backwards move to buy new pistons and keeping stock connecting rods. For the $300 you'll spend on rods you have a motor that can handle over 600whp easily. Of course, this is turbo side of the community's reasoning.

You are going to be looking at custom pistons as they dont make very high compression pistons for us. Also you are forgetting a complete gasket set, new timing components, water pump, bearings, balance shaft delete. These are the bare minimum items as reusing old components on a refreshed/new motor is asking for trouble.

I was going to mention, you need to budget some money towards all this. hence, why I think a shop should inspect the block, and crank before diving in.

Here are some helpful 2.3 stroker articles worth looking into.

[this is a pdf.] www.kidzuku.com/StrokeOrNot.pdf

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/stroker-builds-basic-concepts.393443/

http://web.archive.org/web/20040405...eopenwest.com/~ksmith3289/faq/dsmstroker.html

Here is where I get my 4g63T parts from http://www.extremepsi.com/store/home.php
also might wanna try

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com

[but again make sure you talk to your machinist, about what size pistons/rings rods, you need to order before buying anything.

You need new rods because the pistons are a floating wrist pin design. While you can have your stock rods sized to the pins (.001" press fit) it is a backwards move to buy new pistons and keeping stock connecting rods. For the $300 you'll spend on rods you have a motor that can handle over 600whp easily. Of course, this is turbo side of the community's reasoning.

You are going to be looking at custom pistons as they dont make very high compression pistons for us. Also you are forgetting a complete gasket set, new timing components, water pump, bearings, balance shaft delete. These are the bare minimum items as reusing old components on a refreshed/new motor is asking for trouble.

I understand that i would be asking for troubles by using stock components in a true rebuild that i would be bulking up a few hundred hp but im also not attempting build up my engine to 600 hp... shit im not even looking for 200 hp.. I'm looking to bump my n/a up to anything over 160. Anything more than that I will be so obvious that i'm not running a stock car in a stock car division that my car would get claimed or torn down for inspection. With that in mind what can i do. Is there a reason why stock components couldn't handle a 25-35 hp increase? I'm not trying to build a monster.. I'm just looking for enough of a horsepower increase to make my car fast enough that my driving can do the rest.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back