The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Will 1G 7 bolt lower timing cover fit 6 bolt??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsi1991awd

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2008
Puyallup, Washington
Just as the title says, will the lower timing cover off of a 7 bolt fit onto a 6 bolt? I know the 6 bolt has the "honeycomb" on the bottom right and the 7 bolt doesn't.....does that affect anything??

I ordered it from mitsubishiparts.com along with my front case and some other shit. They are about 10 miles away from me. It was 80 bucks I believe.

What about 1g 7bolt? Its one piece.

im wondering the same thing..i have a 1g 7 bolt cover and its a 1 piece lower..if no one has answered this by the time i try to put it on the 6 bolt i have ill chime back in

From the little research i could do here is what i found...

Here is a 1g 7 bolt lower cover..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And here is a 6 bolt lower cover..looks do-able
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

They do not line up really down by the crank. I ran into this problem when I pulled my 6 bolt went to put the cover on my 1g 7 bolt and it would not line up well at all down by the crank sprocket and would probably have rubbed the belt or something so I do not currently have a cover on mine til my 6 bolt block gets done in the fall.

it will not work....

Yes AND no. If you're concerned about having the upper timing cover mate with it, then no.

But if you don't plan on running an upper timing cover, then yes. Trimming away some of the material for the water pump and taking some material off the bottom where it extends out from the engine, so it mates up smoothly will make it work.

I know. I did it for my 6 Bolt/2G head swap.

A good Dremel is key.

Cheers.

I'm in the middle of swapping my 1g 7-bolt motor out for a 6 bolt and was thinking I might be able to use the 7 bolt cover on the 6 bolt block..

There is an extra bolt on the bottom of the 7 bolt cover where the "honey combish" section is on the 6 bolt cover. It looks so close to fitting, all but one of the bolt holes line up. It also fits pretty tight to the crank pulley...probably best just to get the right cover and forget about it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back