The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Will 4G63 Valve Springs Work in a 420A?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I believe Bullet is running 4g63 springs in his turbo 420a.

I believe Bullet is running 4g63 springs in his turbo 420a.

I'm pretty sure he is too...

cabbageman97, I don't see what's so odd about it. Springs aren't that complex.

I think we should wait for Mark to chime in.

Well if they work in either head then why do they make springs for either 4g63 or 420a? If they would work in either application then what is the point for making performance applications for both? Why not single out which ones better and just say here you go this will work? Or have I been mislead by this and it actually sounds more complicated than it is? Why not just have simply 2g valve springs then? No 4g63 420a turbo non-turbo nonsense, simply "2g valve springs"

...because they don't have teams of applications engineers looking for every possible use of their springs. The 4G63 aftermarket parts market has always been bigger than that of the 420A, and it always will be. I'm sure if they knew their parts worked for other applications, they would begin advertising them that way.

Team 2GNT Forum - Viewing topic #128864 - crower 4g63 valvesprings in 420a head

Post #2

He's running the stock 4g63 springs in his turbo car and the Crower's 4g63 in his NA car.

I'm sure Mark could answer this...Do the 4g63 CROWER springs have a higher spring rate than the 420a equivelant?

I remember you saying that the stock 4g63 springs have a higher rate than the stock 420a springs though, that's why you run them in one of your cars.

So i checked the link bullettdsm and that spring set also includes retainers! Do you know of any valves that work with those retainers that would also fit a 420A head? Cause it seems that most spring sets come with retainers and i dont want them to go to waste.

The first one does not include the retainers, just the springs. The second one is at a discounted price only if you buy them along with 2 of the following: camshaft set, titanium retainer set and valve spring set. It's just the picture they use.

I wish it was $80 for crower springs and titanium retainers.

I suppose with the facts laid out, yes the 4g63 springs do fit and for the cost/worth ratio, some stock ones are where it's at, but if you were going to spend that much on aftermarket, why not just get the crower's that are specific to the 420a?

I would use ones specific to the 420a but its super hard to find them. I just read in a forum that these springs would work so I wanted to make sure they would! What type of valvetrain are you running in your 420a?

I bought 420a crower springs from Modern Performance and I had them within a week.

To bad we can't use the Kiggy beehives.

so any aftermarket or stock 4g63t springs fit the 420??? i wanted to get the crower turbo grind cams (int 238/exh 236) do i have to upgrade the springs or can i used the stock springs...

You'll be fine so long as you don't plan on going past redline with a stock valvetrain... but then again unless you have an aftermarket ecu, you'll stop at no later than 7500.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back