The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Wild Idea complete EVO 3 drivetrain

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollandeclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2003
Europe
I just have a wild idea and I was wondering if anyone else ever tried this:

My eclipse 1g AWD has now more then 160kmiles and I want to rebuild it part by part. Especially the drivetrain needs rebuilding. So I was wondering if I can get the complete drivetrain (engine, transmission, t-case, reardif of an Evo 1,2,3and put this into the eclipse.

These cars are getting more and more affordable here in Europe so I was wondering if this was possible. The wheelbase is only 3cm longer on an evo and the width between the wheels is only 5 mm different.

Any thoughts about this?

Usually people swap 6-bolt engines into 2Gs, not 7-bolt engines into 1Gs.

The engine won't work. On a 1g, the engine has 3 mounts and the tranny has 1; on the Evo 1-3 and 2g's, the engine has 1 mount and the tranny has 3. Basically you'd have to do some fabbing for the front and rear motor mounts.

Keep your engine, or build it up. The Evo engine is basically the same as a 2g engine with a different intake manifold and pistons. It wouldn't be worth it even if it would fit, since stock it has weaker rods than your engine does.

The tranny will work (and is stronger, so it'll be an upgrade) if you can get the rear diff to fit, as the gearing is different.

Rear diff mounts differently in an EVO3. And personally, it's a waste of money to even attempt.
Sometimes you should go by this saying... If you have to ask, don't bother.

The Evo 3 engine and drivetrain can be swapped into a 2G DSM, but the setup cannot be directly installed into a 1G DSM due to the rear differential design and housing.

The Evo 3 rear diff can be installed into the 2G AWD rear diff case and then swap one axle stub for a non-LSD axle stub. The Evo 3 transmission can be swapped into a 2G DSM using either the Evo 3 rear differential with ring gear/pinion gear AND the Evo 3 transfer case -- which will be SHORT gear ratios, OR you would need to open up the transmission and install a 58-tooth ring gear from a DSM along with the DSM pinion gear, then swap the speed sensor wheel IF it is an LSD transmission. As well, if you are swapping the ring and pinion, then you must use a DSM transfer case, and the DSM ratio rear differential (either an Evo 3 diff with DSM ring gear in a 2G, or a DSM diff with DSM ring gear in a 1G/2G).

You can use the Evo 3 transmission in a 1G by swapping the front diff ring and pinion gears (and tapered roller bearings, races etc.) as well as swapping the speed sensor to a 1G cable style, and then using the DSM transfer case and DSM rear differential with DSM rear diff ratio.

The 7-bolt motor can be used, as it just takes a bit of modification to install it due to the variation in motor mounts when compared to a 1G, along with a bit of engine harness swapping if necessary.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back