The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

wierd cutch sounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRslimmyjim

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2010
warwick, New_York
hi,

i just built my 420a and turbocharged it and everything :hellyeah:. i put a south bend clutch in it and it is making a noise when i press down on the clutch but it only starts to make the noise when it is fully pressed in :banghead:. is this normal since it is a high performance clutch and it came with a throw out bearing and i installed that too. this is my first build since im only 18 so i dont know how it is supposed to sound :hmm:. any help is appreciated. thanks

What does it sound like?

If you haven't adjusted your clutch pedal, do that first. It might be slightly out of adjustment, causing you to overextend when your pedal is pushed all the way down.

You installed it yourself? Check the throwout bearing, pressure plate, bushings, and cluth pedal assembly. Describe the sound and does it occur only when the clutch is engaged?

The sound is like a spinning sound almost. it is extremely hard to explain. it only happens when i push the clutch pedal all the way down. I didn't adjust the clutch pedal could that be it? how do i adjust the clutch pedal?? i have the haynes mauuel, would that tell me how to do it? it doesn't make the noise when the clutch is about to engage or is slipping.

The sound is like a spinning sound almost. it is extremely hard to explain. it only happens when i push the clutch pedal all the way down. I didn't adjust the clutch pedal could that be it? how do i adjust the clutch pedal?? i have the haynes mauuel, would that tell me how to do it? it doesn't make the noise when the clutch is about to engage or is slipping.

So it's a constant whirring grinding noise while the clutch is in? and it doesn't stop until you let go of the clutch. Does your clutch feel stiff or spongy? Theres a couple bolts at your clutch pedal, google clutch pedal assembly and adjustment. Could be that, it also sounds like it might be a throw out bearing if it only sounds when the clutch is in. try bleeding the clutch and topping it off.

A clutch pedal that's not adjusted correctly could cause the symptoms you're describing. I had a similar issue where I heard spinning/scraping with the pedal pushed all the way to the floor, and only then. I then adjusted the clutch pedal according to this video:
Clutch adjustment
and the noise disappeared. Give that a shot, since it isn't very difficult and may solve your problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back