The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

wierd clicking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93laser1g

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2011
green bay, Wisconsin
when i turn the key forward to the on positioni get this wierd clicking noise but i cannot find out where it is coming from somewhere by the firewall. my car wont start all the time but when it does it idles for a minute then you can hear something clicking but it isnt the same noise then the car just dies. if anybody know what is causing this please let me know asap.

Which side of the firewall, engine side or cab side? There is the MPI relay on the cab side and the ISC on the engine side which I could see "clicking" or making noise.

I have a 93 tsi, had the same thing happening. It turned out I had some corrosion in my ECU. Open it and inspect it. Search for what a good ECU looks like and a bad one looks like also when u open it up if it smells like bad fish its bad. And check your battery cables for a loose connection I've read you can get a similar problem with the being loose. Hope this helps

the noise that starts when i turn the key on comes from the motor bay im not sure which side though. where is the mpi relay? and isc relay? and the idle control motor.sincity i just had my ecu rebuilt and i cant open it or the warrenty gets voided

the noise that starts when i turn the key on comes from the motor bay im not sure which side though. where is the mpi relay? and isc relay? and the idle control motor.sincity i just had my ecu rebuilt and i cant open it or the warrenty gets voided

The MPI relay is under the ECU. If you said its coming from the engine bay I'd bet it's the ISC (idle speed controller). Idle control motor is the same thing. It is attached to the lower portion of the throttle body with two bolts. It is a stepper motor and it moves when you turn the key to the "on" position. It could also be moving at random times if there is a loose connection.

YouTube - ‪DSM ISC‬‏

could this be making my car shut off like it is? and not start at all sometimes?

Yes.

If the ISC is bad, either go the cheap route and get another used one from a junkyard, or get a brand new Mitsu ISC that is upgraded over the original ISCs used in our DSMs here:

main page

Their ISCs are about 1/3 the cost of getting them at a Mitsu dealer. The link above is for their FAQ section which explains alot more about the ISC and also how the car's ECU can be affected by a bad ISC.

could this be making my car shut off like it is? and not start at all sometimes?

I suppose it possible, but not too likely, if your BISS isn't properly adjusted. Without the ISC your idle could get really low and the car could shut off. However a bad ISC won't keep your car from starting and you can completely remove the ISC and drive the car just fine, albeit with an unstable idle.

A loose connection from your wiring harness to the ECU, which I mentioned is possible, could keep your car from starting and cause it to shut off easily. Do you by any chance have a logger?

No I do not have a logger, what is the BISS? And how can i tell if the mpi has a bad connection to the ecu?

BISS stand for Base Idle Speed Screw. Here is how to set it: 1G BISS Adjustment

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I was suggesting that where the engine wiring harness plugs into the ECU, may have a loose connection.

The MPI relay is under the ECU. If you said its coming from the engine bay I'd bet it's the ISC (idle speed controller). Idle control motor is the same thing. It is attached to the lower portion of the throttle body with two bolts. It is a stepper motor and it moves when you turn the key to the "on" position. It could also be moving at random times if there is a loose connection.

YouTube - ‪DSM ISC‬‏

It turns out the ISC is kinda messed up the plug had a bad connection:thumb:
now what is the o-ring and should I replace this when i replace the ISC?

It turns out the ISC is kinda messed up the plug had a bad connection:thumb:
now what is the o-ring and should I replace this when i replace the ISC?

Good find! The o-ring is Mitsubishi part number MD614417. If yours is hard and brittle, you can order a new one from JNZ, DSMISC, or your local dealership. Or you can try to find a standard or metric one the same size.

Good find! The o-ring is Mitsubishi part number MD614417. If yours is hard and brittle, you can order a new one from JNZ, DSMISC, or your local dealership. Or you can try to find a standard or metric one the same size.

okay so i tightened the connection to the ISC and i go to start my car and it wont start again. It eventually started but when i got a 1/4 mile down the road it started making a clicking noise coming from the dash i believe, so now i hear the clicking inside the car when its running and when it trys to shut itself off. could the bad ISC have fried the ECU?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back