The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Why you dont overboost a fp turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The mob mentality is probably what keeps them away from forums. I highly doubt they’re giving up on anyone. Some of the fastest cars are running some sort of their xona line. The stock frame stuff is nice and I run one on my evo but there will be a point where they stop because its not cost effective for them. As far as failures go they have always responded to me within a business day. Maybe some people should start exercising some humility and admit it was their fault whatever may be he cause. They don’t need to defend themselves against all of tuners,talk, or evom. Quick way to turn them off of the market IMO.

Yep, FP is too busy winning races on extremely fast cars. Also, I haven't met very many subaru owners that I'd say are extremely "smart" when it comes to how to modify cars. They're concerned about the same things honda guys are like "bug eye" mods and stuff like you never hear DSM owners talking about.

Body kits, aftermarket rims on stock cars, cat back exhausts, aftermarket spoilers, canards, wind splitters, titanium exhaust tips....

Those are all things for fully built race cars that you see "slow" people doing to their mostly stock cars they're still making payments on. Throwing money at your car doesn't make you an authority on going fast. I've seen plenty of people with expensive parts having broken cars due to lack of good tuning and rookie mistakes.... and then blame everything except for themselves.

Last edited:
Yep, FP is too busy winning races on extremely fast cars. Also, I haven't met very many subaru owners that I'd say are extremely "smart" when it comes to how to modify cars. They're concerned about the same things honda guys are like "bug eye" mods and stuff like you never hear DSM owners talking about.

Body kits, aftermarket rims on stock cars, cat back exhausts, aftermarket spoilers, canards, wind splitters, titanium exhaust tips....

Those are all things for fully built race cars that you see "slow" people doing to their mostly stock cars they're still making payments on. Throwing money at your car doesn't make you an authority on going fast. I've seen plenty of people with expensive parts having broken cars due to lack of good tuning and rookie mistakes.... and then blame everything except for themselves.

Well that's like the exact same way DSM's got the bad reputation for being unreliable. A lot of idiotic teenagers got ahold of them and blew up a lot of good engines.

Well that's like the exact same way DSM's got the bad reputation for being unreliable. A lot of idiotic teenagers got ahold of them and blew up a lot of good engines.
I agree. Well said. And then sold them as build engine and if that didn't work then it got parted out. 800whp build parts out haha

It looks like the compressor wheels might be just to much mass for the size of turbine shaft assy that is in use, couple that with some compressor surge and its not hard to fathom broken shafts in the area they seem to be breaking.

I agree. Well said. And then sold them as build engine and if that didn't work then it got parted out. 800whp build parts out haha

Man, don't get me started on this. I hate it when I'm talking to a "car guy" and he finds out I have mitsubishi's and then they immediately use the c word. You know which one I'm talking about. Crank walk. It's funny too because even the "dsm experts" can't always explain what causes crank walk. Cars are as reliable and as "nice" as their owners are. You see people with junked out pos DSM's that barely run and have blown bushings all around and it makes you wonder if they wipe their butt properly when they poop.... they probably don't.

I've got a fun one for you all: I crank walked a 6-bolt engine. OMG. Any motor can crank walk, I managed to do it w/ a warped pressure plate and the ignorance to not know that it wasn't a clutch adjustment issue. I tried to adjust the clutch on a 2900lb pressure plate to the point of squishing the oil clearance out of the thrust bearing on the crank. Lesson learned, I didn't know to check for warped pressure plates but now I know. I also don't use heavy pressure plates like 2900 lbs anymore. 2600 is plenty and I bet there are very few 7 bolt engines (the ones more prone to crank walking) that have walked with a stock clutch setup. My theory is that people put heavy pressure plates on them and they cannot handle it and weren't engineered to deal with that. /tangent

Probably because they sold them all and don't have plans to make anymore.
I figured they werent selling them enough to justify keeping them on the shelf. Most dsm guys are either very cheap or poor or a little bit of both. Ive never had so much trouble selling shit until I purchased a dsm. You cant sell a f***ing fuel pump without someone asking you to sell them the install kit on a discount. Drives me nuts.....

Haha, I know what you mean. I was selling a 10-15 year old fpr a while back ago for $20 shipped and the guy kept wanting more and more pictures of it. I just stopped responding because it's not worth the money to try and sell small stuff. I have to be in a really good mood to put anything up for sale. Although, I feel like FP's bolt-on BB turbos don't make any sense. You want me to spend $3000 for a "bolt-on" turbo setup that doesn't offer me any advantage over a full t3 setup and actually may hinder me if the turbo is big enough. Plus it's not even a bolt-on setup anymore if you get the recirculated turbo outlet.

Haha, I know what you mean. I was selling a 10-15 year old fpr a while back ago for $20 shipped and the guy kept wanting more and more pictures of it. I just stopped responding because it's not worth the money to try and sell small stuff. I have to be in a really good mood to put anything up for sale. Although, I feel like FP's bolt-on BB turbos don't make any sense. You want me to spend $3000 for a "bolt-on" turbo setup that doesn't offer me any advantage over a full t3 setup and actually may hinder me if the turbo is big enough. Plus it's not even a bolt-on setup anymore if you get the recirculated turbo outlet.
Yah thats true, im considering a xona line turbo in the future. Im hearing alot of good things from people. I wonder how my auto swap is gunn like my 6266. Cant wait to let it drop off the line with some nitrous.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I snapped the shaft on a Big H1C here recentl;y when the bearings went out on my hx40 and I used it tremporarily (literally),, I was trying to push 30psi and it was falling off hard, well after a long spirited back road I got on the highway, punched it, and when the boost dropped to 23psi kachink!!!!!!!!!! sparks, smoke, anmd even a flame from god knows where flew at that moment... I was ablet o stay in it, clear the fouled plugs of oil and get it home, but it was not a pretty sight..think I got a pic here some where

the shaft snapped right behind the comp wheel when this happened

Does anyone know why fp downsized their dsm ballbearing lineup? The website is only showing 1

Because DSMers are cheap bastards and ever since holset turbos started getting attention FP was suddenly no longer where its at.. And it stayed that way.

I ran 40psi on my fp black for about a year til I spun a rod bearing. Had zero issues with the turbo and whenever I sent it to justin to get rebuilt, he said everything looked really good on it but just needed a little tlc from the metal shavings biting at the shaft a bit.
Holding up for a whole season tho before popping is just another reason to put it away for the winter and redo everything for the next season LOL still extremely weird that happened. I've never heard this happening with reds or blacks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back