The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Why you dont overboost a fp turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curious how the bearings look. People hve been running fp dsm turbos for years at above 30psi. I'm not gonna try and guess what happened... the only way to know is to take it apart and look, and weed out other possible outside issues. These turbos dont just explode for nothing. but for what it's worth, they are still TD05 center sections with oem shaft and tiny hearings. It would he kind of hard to say it's a compressor weight issue when theres so many more turbos running then have failed. But the turbos are balanced, so really weight shouldnt be an issue unless theres a balancing issue. Sucks that happened. I know you said you guys arent looking for a warranty claim, but have you even reached out to FP before coming to the fourms?

curious how the bearings look. People hve been running fp dsm turbos for years at above 30psi. I'm not gonna try and guess what happened... the only way to know is to take it apart and look, and weed out other possible outside issues. These turbos dont just explode for nothing. but for what it's worth, they are still TD05 center sections with oem shaft and tiny hearings. It would he kind of hard to say it's a compressor weight issue when theres so many more turbos running then have failed. But the turbos are balanced, so really weight shouldnt be an issue unless theres a balancing issue. Sucks that happened. I know you said you guys arent looking for a warranty claim, but have you even reached out to FP before coming to the fourms?
No, I havent got in contact with fp, either has he. I didnt make the post to try to keep people away from fp. I guess I had also thought that boosting a fp green etc past 30 psi was asking for trouble. Im hoping he ends up calling someone so fp can chime in. Its the nature of the beast I guess. I totally forgot that the compresssor cover is held in place with a snap ring, I thought it was the bolt design, seems safer in my estimation. He and I never had the cover off. Seems strange that several track passes at 28 psi.... a ton of street driving and nothing. All of a sudden 30+ psi and boom

No, I havent got in contact with fp, either has he. I didnt make the post to try to keep people away from fp. I guess I had also thought that boosting a fp green etc past 30 psi was asking for trouble. Im hoping he ends up calling someone so fp can chime in. Its the nature of the beast I guess. I totally forgot that the compresssor cover is held in place with a snap ring, I thought it was the bolt design, seems safer in my estimation. He and I never had the cover off. Seems strange that several track passes at 28 psi.... a ton of street driving and nothing. All of a sudden 30+ psi and boom
Youll never know til you disassemble it

Honestly the next turbo I get will be a garret gtx series. That is the best engineered product imo.

I love mine. Ive been contemplating trying the new gtx3584rs but for now gonna push this 3582 to its limits. 650+ whp on the street is plenty fast anyway LOL. Once I find someone to install a rollcage for me then ill make it a full track car and go gt42. :sneaky:

I love mine. Ive been contemplating trying the new gtx3584rs but for now gonna push this 3582 to its limits. 650+ whp on the street is plenty fast anyway LOL. Once I find someone to install a rollcage for me then ill make it a full track car and go gt42. :sneaky:
You get what you pay for. I dont know how fp can make money selling the 68 for 600 bucks.... thats crazy

@Kapok6 looks like we have very similar setups. He looks to have the 6 bolt block/head combo but the evo 3 IM, must have hogged out the IM to match the 1G head? I run the 6 bolt block with a 2g head and evo 3 IM. If he did hog out the IM to fit, that could be why he is pushing more air through.

I run a Curt brown 6 Bolt 2.0 bottom end and a Curt Brown 2g head with gsc s2 cams.

So what your saying is that if he didnt mess with the compressor cover, its possiblethat it wasnt assembled correctly?

Yes, it's possible, and wouldn't be the first case I've heard of. A local guy here had the exact same thing happen to him on the dyno. His FP Green ate a dislodged compressor housing, just like your friend's did. Jury is still out on exactly whose fault it was.

Yes, it's possible, and wouldn't be the first case I've heard of. A local guy here had the exact same thing happen to him on the dyno. His FP Green ate a dislodged compressor housing, just like your friend's did. Jury is still out on exactly whose fault it was.
most turbos use a 5-6 bolt configuration to tighten the compressor cover down yes?. This is actually terrifying.Id be seeing about modifying the cover somehow.

most turbos use a 5-6 bolt configuration to tighten the compressor cover down yes?. This is actually terrifying.Id be seeing about modifying the cover somehow.
Only garrett and pte that I can speak of use bolts. Fp mitsu and the popular holsets all use snap rings... I think it's stupid, everything should be vband or bolts.

It may be insignificant and not statistically a big problem failure wise but im wondering if this snap ring design isnt strong enough for the increase airflow at the cover. I dont know if this happens alot with holsets but im hearing from more and more people having these failures who never touched the cover or snap ring. I wondering with prolonged vibration and pressure the snap ring works itself loose. I notice the cover has a big oring groovee, my hks bov adapter has a similar design. I had the bov come off at high boost because the snap ring wasnt seated 100% because when installing the bov you have to really push the bov down to compress the oring to allow the snap ring into the groove.

Out of the many trials and tribulations that I have encountered, I have yet to blow off a compressor housing on my Holsets. They have a real good big snap ring holding them together and the chra bolts into the hot side with 4, some 6, bolts and straps. I have seen one suck in "something" and shot a hole in the cover (and radiator and belched its guts right into the fmic) but never one that blew apart and we are pushing over 40 lbs to our 2 cars running HX40's.

Last edited:
It may be insignificant and not statistically a big problem failure wise but im wondering if this snap ring design isnt strong enough for the increase airflow at the cover. I dont know if this happens alot with holsets but im hearing from more and more people having these failures who never touched the cover or snap ring. I wondering with prolonged vibration and pressure the snap ring works itself loose. I notice the cover has a big oring groovee, my hks bov adapter has a similar design. I had the bov come off at high boost because the snap ring wasnt seated 100% because when installing the bov you have to really push the bov down to compress the oring to allow the snap ring into the groove.
No, the snap rings dont just come loose, they are an absolute bi*** to remove, and install

So it would probably be wise then for all fp users to inspect the snap ring when the recieve the turbo to make sure its seated correctly.

Interesting. Here's a customer's HTA Green from a month or so ago...turbo was bought new from another person so he wasn't the original buyer and therefore FP wouldn't honor a warranty- but here's another one with less than 1000 miles of use broken at the step in the shaft behind the compressor wheel. I knew it wasn't a good sign when I took it out of the box and the wheels turned independently of each other. A run of defective shafts, perhaps?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

FP isn't wasting their time on some dsm board anymore, unfortunately.
They made that mistake on a subaru board and lost ALOT of customers. Blaming an oem oil screen on their turbo failures. Dsms account for ALOT of their business. At least it seems that way? Why did they stop contributing to this forum? No offense to the dsm community......but its def filled with people who refuse to spend money or simply dont have it. Maybe this is part of the reason? Im aware that jacks transmissions stopped for awhile because of this fact...

I have always wondered... How fp manages to sell their turbos in the 600-800 dollar range and still make a good profit> I wonder how many of these suppliers are the same ones selling kinugawa or others parts? Is it only that they assemble and balance them more professionally?

They made that mistake on a subaru board and lost ALOT of customers. Blaming an oem oil screen on their turbo failures. Dsms account for ALOT of their business. At least it seems that way? Why did they stop contributing to this forum? No offense to the dsm community......but its def filled with people who refuse to spend money or simply dont have it. Maybe this is part of the reason? Im aware that jacks transmissions stopped for awhile because of this fact...
I read that thread and it was absolutely hilarious. The Subaru owners on that board were morons though. About a 100 people chimed in on that thread and maybe one guy was like "maybe Robert is right". Whether you agreed with FP or the Subaru guy it was sad to see so many people sheepishly turn against fp like children.

I read that thread and it was absolutely hilarious. The Subaru owners on that board were morons though. About a 100 people chimed in on that thread and maybe one guy was like "maybe Robert is right". Whether you agreed with FP or the Subaru guy it was sad to see so many people sheepishly turn against fp like children.
My only criticism to the guy making the post was using his moderator status to blackmail fp. He clearly stated though after 2 failures he was gunna post the way fp took care of the situation. I dont know if the exact cause was found in the subaru case. Im aware of people bolting a oem turbo back on without changing anything and the oem turbo was fine. I was starting to think it may be due to oil pressure requirements..... i never upgraded the turbo on my sti so i couldnt say. Id still like to know who manufactures their journal line of turbos.... parts that its

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back