The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Why you dont overboost a fp turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where is the chra retainer now? Still with the turbo or gone entirely? Thats the only way the two can separate. My stock turbo "lost" its chra clamp and pushed out just like that. I never did find the clamp and assume it broke in two. I agree it looks like the retainer failed or wasn't seated properly.

Either way, the argument isnt if u can boost them to 30psi or more..... they are simply not engineered for those types of boost pressures. Maybe the snap ring worked its way loose and blew off into the compressor blade.
I'm confused as to why you would say that. As a regular of the forum, you should know that probably 25% of the people on this forum are you using FP turbos and many at 4-600hp levels which almost always require 30 lbs of boost. We are talking hundreds of people just on this forum alone, much less the ecmlink group and Facebook groups. Thousands throughout the years, and even on FP's non-Garrett stuff. I just don't think that's accurate.

Either way, the argument isnt if u can boost them to 30psi or more..... they are simply not engineered for those types of boost pressures. Maybe the snap ring worked its way loose and blew off into the compressor blade.
Their compressors are all engineered to be efficient over 40psi. The only part of their turbos that can have issues at really high boost is the thrust system in the jb units.

I'm confused as to why you would say that. As a regular of the forum, you should know that probably 25% of the people on this forum are you using FP turbos and many at 4-600hp levels which almost always require 30 lbs of boost. We are talking hundreds of people just on this forum alone, much less the ecmlink group and Facebook groups. Thousands throughout the years, and even on FP's non-Garrett stuff. I just don't think that's accurate.
Im not saying guys dont do it. I was just simply saying that those shafts arent designed for that type of mass hanging off the end of it. The reason i sold my turbo was for this reason. Not that it wouldnt of taken it but the part wasnt engineered for this type of abuse above 30psi. Not to mention the efficiency of the turbo. Are there really that many guys running 35+ on a fp green? I honestly thought the safe limit was around 30psi give or take.

The whole point of this thread was to troll on FP turbos to begin with. You weren't seeking feedback as much as pointing fingers. FP turbos have a pretty solid reputation in the DSM community, provided they're oiled and drained properly. I just don't understand why you're continuing to blame them after many people have corrected you. The reason you don't see many people running high 30s on an FP green is because it's the smallest turbo in the "FP" turbo in the lineup. For anyone who wanted to push their cars they would of put a red of black on it, and MOST of those people are running higher boost pressures. That or the guy that bought it from you is pretty upset and asking you questions and you're attempting to shift blame elsewhere IF (not saying you did) Take it apart and reassemble it incorrectly.

FP black/gt35r htz/zona whatever... They all share the same exact wheel.

I ran my fp green over 30 psi for a year. Never had any problems. I did remove the snap ring once while in the car and i will never do that again haha. Either someone messed with that snap ring and dont wanna admit it or possibly in a long stretch the blow off valve isnt working and caused horrible back pressure. In that case though id expect more damage to the shaft and the compressor housing to not fall off. Fp turbos are very well built. Not china made crap. I know several people pushing fp reds and blacks to 35 psi. Id run a fp turbo or garrett over pte. Too many failurew(theyre better now but im still iffy on em)

Im not saying guys dont do it. I was just simply saying that those shafts arent designed for that type of mass hanging off the end of it.

I still don't think you understand how this turbo failed. The "mass" of the compressor wheel doesn't "hang" off of the shaft. And if you were to take this wheel and compar its dimensions to say, a 20g compressor, you'd see that their isn't a huge difference in size. Now, given that these things spin and 100,000 rpm, small changes is size and mass are exaggerated, but when a compressor grenades, the force is not enough to dislodge a compressor housing. Theoretically, there should be a remnant of the shaft left as well.

The fact that there is no shaft left tells me that here was a huge amount of lateral force placed on the shaft while it was at speed - as though a compressor housing came loose, and came into contact HARD with the compressor wheel under boost.

hey guys keep it civil he stated his "thought" and what he "thinks", he has said it more than once there is no need to be rude. if he is wrong, he is wrong no need to bash and i have read the entire thread he is not "trolling" either

The whole point of this thread was to troll on FP turbos to begin with. You weren't seeking feedback as much as pointing fingers. FP turbos have a pretty solid reputation in the DSM community, provided they're oiled and drained properly. I just don't understand why you're continuing to blame them after many people have corrected you. The reason you don't see many people running high 30s on an FP green is because it's the smallest turbo in the "FP" turbo in the lineup. For anyone who wanted to push their cars they would of put a red of black on it, and MOST of those people are running higher boost pressures. That or the guy that bought it from you is pretty upset and asking you questions and you're attempting to shift blame elsewhere IF (not saying you did) Take it apart and reassemble it incorrectly.
Trolling fp..... not the point at all. I have always said that fp turbos have a place. Ive owned 3 in fact. The guy doesnt want anything from me. The turbo ran great for the entire season. I have run the entire lineup of fp bolt of turbos, probably more than most in fact.

I totally understand why the turbo failed. The reason i posted was for discussion purposes only. The guy races his car and even said it was a freak accident....he wasnt mad. You wouldnt expect fp to cover this type of damage anyway....before i sold my sti I was considering the fp green until i read of several issues with oiling. Fp claimed it was due to a small filter in the oil line....this is a whole other conversation in itself. Ive never personally had issue on 3 fp turbos.... i just figured you guys would be interested.

..Misinformation as usual. @Kapok6 @donniekak

Both of you were high 40+ for a while on FP turbos right? I'm 99% sure that's whoever took it apart didn't put it back together properly. Never seen an FP turbo fail. I'm running 30psi right now on a v1v68hta with zero issues, have been for months.

High 30's to low 40's for me. Also note though, the DSM 76 and 82 I ran/run are essentially Garrett turbos with an FP comp wheel and turbine housing.

I run the DSM 76 at 37 psi, have not had a problem yet.

@Kapok6 - Let me borrow your DSM 82 to test to see if I want to upgrade haha The 76HTA won't let me go higher than 37psi with my setup.

I know what this is all about. He's a Precision guy now. He's got that big, pretty precision turbo now. Gotta bash the competition eh?? Eh? :)
You fp guys cant compete with me.... my pte turbo is x10 better cuz it has a quad thrust super bearing in it. The housing is a 4 inch tornado vortex with a forged inconel propeller shaft. The only guys who can compete are the garret gtx quad quad turbo and borgwarner vfr quadruple flange. Other than that.... you guys arent sheet

I still don't think you understand how this turbo failed. The "mass" of the compressor wheel doesn't "hang" off of the shaft. And if you were to take this wheel and compar its dimensions to say, a 20g compressor, you'd see that their isn't a huge difference in size. Now, given that these things spin and 100,000 rpm, small changes is size and mass are exaggerated, but when a compressor grenades, the force is not enough to dislodge a compressor housing. Theoretically, there should be a remnant of the shaft left as well.

The fact that there is no shaft left tells me that here was a huge amount of lateral force placed on the shaft while it was at speed - as though a compressor housing came loose, and came into contact HARD with the compressor wheel under boost.
He stated that the shaft is 100% intact and spins freely. Thats why i thought initially that the wheel exploded and took the cover off.

I run the DSM 76 at 37 psi, have not had a problem yet.

@Kapok6 - Let me borrow your DSM 82 to test to see if I want to upgrade haha The 76HTA won't let me go higher than 37psi with my setup.

That's actually why I went to the 82 (35r turbine) because the turbo just couldn't keep up with this engine. I'd hit 35psi at peak boost and it would taper down to like 28psi by redline. I trapped 130.75mph in the 1/4 weighing 3395lbs with me in it, at 28-29psi, so the 76 definitely has bawlz, but 99% of the racing I do is rolls in mexico, and I wanted something that would allow a little extra turbine flow.

I have a brand new BW @362SX-E sitting in my garage too...

Interesting, I can hold 37 psi to 8500 with the 76. I trapped 128 with a 10.7. I should just stick with the 76 and try to push it into the 9's!

You fp guys cant compete with me.... my pte turbo is x10 better cuz it has a quad thrust super bearing in it. The housing is a 4 inch tornado vortex with a forged inconel propeller shaft. The only guys who can compete are the garret gtx quad quad turbo and borgwarner vfr quadruple flange. Other than that.... you guys arent sheet
Way harsh bro

I love my quad quad turbo haha. I just swapped the ball bearings for muffler bearings. Full boost at 1500rpms. Hopefully now ill be able to compete with those damn prius and geo metro guys.

Maybe Kapok's engine is breathing a little better? I have seen this few times. No personal experience though.

@Kapok6 looks like we have very similar setups. He looks to have the 6 bolt block/head combo but the evo 3 IM, must have hogged out the IM to match the 1G head? I run the 6 bolt block with a 2g head and evo 3 IM. If he did hog out the IM to fit, that could be why he is pushing more air through.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back