The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Why/Why Not Meth/Water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

why: raises cr a very slight bit, lowers iats drastically, raises available fuel octane, allows you to run ALOT leaner depending on the mix, allows you to run more boost with smaller injectors
why not: if it runs out during hard accel, you've just fried your engine, you have to be positively anal about oil changes because the water mixes with your oil from blowby. for those two reasons, not the greatest idea for a daily driven car

why: raises cr a very slight bit, lowers iats drastically, raises available fuel octane, allows you to run ALOT leaner depending on the mix, allows you to run more boost with smaller injectors
why not: if it runs out during hard accel, you've just fried your engine, you have to be positively anal about oil changes because the water mixes with your oil from blowby. for those two reasons, not the greatest idea for a daily driven car

So if E85 is not avilable to me then I should base my goals off pump 93(since this is a dd)?

I would. im planning on a pumpgas monster myself, even though it wouldn't be extremely hard for me to do e85 as there is a station that carries it about 35 miles from here.

I run water meth as do a lot of other people that run them on DD cars. On a daily basis you more than likely wont be using a whole lot of water/meth. A good system will have low fluid detection tied in so you know when the reservoir is getting low. Its not a bad way to go if E85 isint readily available.

Why? It works, I run 4-5 degrees more timing and 3-4 more psi (28-30 on meth vs. 24-25 without) than I can without it. It's cheap and the kits are really simple. I run a fail safe through Link that if the pump dies it adds a ton a fuel to save the motor.

Why not? Maybe you don't have a way to tune the motor, but then again, if you can't tune the car, methanol isn't for you.

Another why not, my meth system did malfunction when the relay got stuck on once and hydrolocked the motor. Bent the hell out of an eagle rod. But other than that one hiccup no issues

I spray too, but it's more of a summer car then a DD. It's a hell of a lot more fun for sure. I've been able to tune to 30psi on 93 pump gas, where my limit before was around 20psi.

My only downside so far was rust in my steel UICP, but I have since made an aluminum replacement.

Been running it for 3 yrs had the head unit failed on me once did not toast a engine. because my knock guage warned me so i let off. If u keep an eye on your montiors like your suppose to it can be very sucessful and fail safe.

I honestly dont see how many people can destroy their engine if the pump dies...

the ecu has knock control and if your car is pulling timing because of the meth quit you would notice it and let off.

but i guess there is those who just keep it hammered and boom ROFL

I had it run too low on me once, and believe me you notice. I have to say, it was a violent and sudden experience, and I can see how it may exploit any weakness in your engine very quickly.

I had it run too low on me once, and believe me you notice. I have to say, it was a violent and sudden experience, and I can see how it may exploit any weakness in your engine very quickly.

the boom theory most likely comes from other platforms that dont have knock control like we do.

When I ran out of water/meth at 30psi on pump gas it pulled all the timing and knocked hard anyway, all within a second or less. I let off, but if my engine wasn't built, I probably would have broken something. I top off my juice every chance I get since then.

I'm also considering on buying water/meth injection later down the road. This is good info to know.

I run a high pressure Hobbs switch in the meth pressure line wired to the idle switch. When the pressure comes up on the meth system in pulls the fuel out to compensate for the meth injection. In my case it's around 20%. I suppose you could use the alt maps to make it a finer tune, but this setup has worked well for me for the past two years and 20 thousand miles.

I run a high pressure Hobbs switch in the meth pressure line wired to the idle switch. When the pressure comes up on the meth system in pulls the fuel out to compensate for the meth injection. In my case it's around 20%. I suppose you could use the alt maps to make it a finer tune, but this setup has worked well for me for the past two years and 20 thousand miles.

Simple yet brilliant! I'm going to trigger my "low boost" vacuum solenoid this way. Thanks.

Indeed good info, i plan on running meth soon on my DD and i need to know all the pros and cons before i commit. It was stated that water could get into your oil due to blow by, can this problem be solved by a proper catch can setup?

Also, this is just i theory i can up with. Im getting tuned on 91 with meth, but could i also get tuned on 87 with meth? Wouldn't this somewhat bring the "octane" level up to 91 or so, giving me the option of using 87 petrol on my long trips from LA to SF.

I feel that if water builds up in the oil, you're doing it wrong. As for using 87 octane, it really depends on your tune and CR, but I seems like you would need a big water/meth tank to tune with 87.

haha so your saying it possible then? LOL ill ask my tuner at RRE what he thinks of it, only considering this because LA gas prices are already like 4.20 for 87

Yup 4.20 in SD for 87 as well, I would still never bother running it. If my math is correct, the difference between 87 and 91 in cost every fill up is 5 dollars on a empty tank...

Can't afford it you should buy a honda to daily / save gas monies. I bought a Jeep to daily, didn't save any gas money =x

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back