The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Why so much power all of a sudden?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straycat

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2010
lawrenceville, Georgia
Had a starter issue for the last few days, and now that it seems to have resolved itself I all of a sudden have a whole lot more power than before. I mean like, roasting the tires at half throttle from a dead stop kind of power. It still runs and idles and even shifts just like it did before, and it ran great before, just now it is all of a sudden insane. Only thing I removed from the car in my starter circuit testing was the upper intercooler hose and the turbo timer, which both have been re installed respectively. What could I have unknowingly done, and should I be concerned or happy as hell? Lol. I'm kind of conflicted.

No controller yet and just the factory boost gauge, which is pegged all the way to the top halfway through 1st gear at half throttle and about 4k rpms. Other than an obviously brand new engine the car is still basically stock.

One possibility is that you used to have a boost leak and that removing and re-installing the UIP fixed it. In any event, the teeth of this gift horse are fine. Stop looking at them.

Same thing happend to my friends gsx we installed a fmic and after install it had crazy hard launching power.we poped the hood and the wastegate line had gotten disconnected.it happends sometimes

I agree with everything that 91stocker said. Investment in a boost gauge might end up saving your motor. What's the old saying? "Your motor runs best right before it blows" or something to that effect.

Yeah I triple checked everything. All vac lines and connections are fine. I did have an issue the second day of owning the car when the UIP came loose while driving and the car shut off, just fixed it in mid traffic and went on my way. When I got back to the house I checked all of the IC clamps and tightened them, and put a clamp on the diverter valve hose (or bov....depending on who you talk to) cause it was missing completely.

When I got the car he gave me a notebook full of receipts and so on from having the new engine put in. New starter, alternator, p.s pump, water pump,...and then some paperwork where when they put the new engine in they also installed a used junkyard transmission. Only put 2500 miles on the engine before the end clutches went out on the trans. He thought the whole trans was shot, so I got it cheap, and after a IPT end clutch kit I have been daily driving it, ( and finding excuses to just go out and drive it). I mean, I have had 2 420a cars and this car was still much faster a week ago then those cars were. But as for how it has run today, all I can say is holy crap. I feel like a peasant on a magic carpet ride.:hellyeah: Which, in turn, also kind of has me waiting for something to go very, very wrong. :(

My first thought was a leak prior to removing the uicp and when you put it back you fixed it

I'm definitely getting a boost gauge and a boost controller. I need to get off my ass and get the wideband also. I just want to know for sure whats going on with her at all times. I'm still learning about these cars, I won't lie. But this is an addiction. I come home every day from work and get on here and just research constantly. It's strange, but even with how many other cars I have owned, and still do own, I don't feel right driving anything other than my DSM. I'll throw up some numbers when I can get it all here and installed.

Edit: I'm going to pick up the boost gauge from work tomorrow,( yay 20% parts discounts). I may have to have a buddy come over and help me install it, being since I am out of work for the next month and a half with 4 broken bones in my wrist. I'm sure there is a thread on the best way and place to install it on this site. Which is my bible these days.

Assuming everything is stock, what psi range should I be in? And whats considered "unsafe"?

Last edited by a moderator:
IF it was a boost leak and it was fixed the boost level will still be the same. The turbo will still be generating the same psi of pressure, just at a lower airflow. Even with a mbc it would work the same. This has to be an issue with with either the wastegate solenoid, the wastegate or the vacuum hoses. Do your self a favor and do not go into boost until you get this figured out.

I had that same problem, but my boost controller ball got stuck. Hence I passed a cop going 100 mph at 1/4 throttle with no problem LOL he couldn't catch up to me but I stopped. He said do you know how fast you were going and I said yes, then he says you know I can arrest you, but I will let you off with a warning without getting any of my information LOL. Luck!!!! Maybe your wastegate actuator took a dump. Look into that. Maybe stuck in the closed position. And don't drive your car like that you will kill it. I have an extra block if you do hahaha

Rule of thumb with dsm! You fix one thing the next will break by the way. Its like a circle and not like a triangle with corners LOL ("chuck and larry")

If you are sure that all of your lines are in good shape, then I would definitely check wastegate actuator. As far as safe boost, 1000 AAQ - DSM factory specifications states that the stock boost range is between 10-15 psi for a 2G. Supposedly the 2g BOV leaks above 12 psi, but a 2g could give you better info on that. I'd say stay under 12 psi or better yet, stay out of boost until you've figured out your culprit. Good luck

Ok well I had a friend come over that knows turbocharged cars better than I do. He hooked a gauge up, and did some poking around. I'm at about 17psi reading on the gauge. BUT.... he says my BOV is leaking almost immediately when I get out of vac and into boost. I have been hearing the noise for awhile but just figured it was due to the filter box being punched out. He agreed that this thing is freakin fast considering, and he believes the motor isn't entirely stock. Said I should check to see what the internals look like,wether they are stock or not, cause if we fix the leaking BOV, the PSI is going to rise up even further. And we need to know this info so we can determine what to do next.

Any of the perf engine builders that build the 4g63 stamp their engines anywhere? Curious if there were a "calling card" so to speak about who built it. Paperwork I have only says who installed it, and how much the motor cost to buy, not who built it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back