The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Why does my 98 gsx smoke when you step on it

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsgk53

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2011
lith, Illinois
Sorry this is long.

I have a built 98 gsx with the revised 7 bolt motor pushing around 330hp at 19 psi. I got the bottom end built last year and it was finished in may 2015. The motor was built with brand new performance internals and wasnt bored out. The top end was already built when i got the car in October 2014. The head has bc 272 cam, adjustable cam gears, arp head studs and so on. When i got the motor done i had put on new rc 1000cc injectors and a older precision 5252 but others call it a precision sc60. Reason for that it does say precision on it but does say 5252 or 5253 on it since back in the day precision and Garrett used the same parts. When i got the turbo it had little shaft play so i used it. For the first 6 months or so the car was fine for the most part. It then started to smoke black smoke out of the exhaust and sometimes white smoke. I had a friend of mine look into it for few days while i had it at his house and he said it was my turbo feed line so he tightened it and it stopped smoking. I was loosing some oil and called my builder and he said its a race car and it will a little. it only lost a court or so once in a while. I just kept an eye on it. Then few months later it started smoking a little but not as bad. I could see drops on my drive way from oil dripping. I thought it was my oil pump housing but i guess not so idk what it is. Then in the beginning of march it started smoking bad like it did before. Then few days later my clutch went. I tried racing a evo while launching the car and my oem clutch didn't hold. I know i shouldn't have raced the evo when it smoked or that i shouldn't have had an oem clutch but i didn't and i cant change that. When i got the gsx the trans was rebuilt and newer oem clutch. The trans then and still shifts like butter. Upgraded to a stage 3 clutch and the clutch part is great now. When i towed the gsx home the oil was empty and i had no coolant. I use vr1 20-50 in the summer and rotella 15-40 in the winter. I am always on top of the oils. i know that since i was smoking badly i shouldnt have raced but i did so idk if that has anything to do with me loosing the oil and coolant. the last week since i drove the car which i didnt for a while smokes bad when you step on it. Like im set at 19 psi but let say i get to anything 15+ psi it smokes badly and smells like something is burning. Somewhere something is dripping oil and is getting into the exhaust and making it smell since the oil is burning but what. I have a thermal r&d exhaust btw. The thought of the turbo feed line being loose came to my mind but my dad said when we did the clutch he tightened the line. Few people said it could be my turbo but it spools great. Haven't checked for shaft play yet as i was going to look at it on Sunday but it was Fathers day. Like i said when i bought the turbo it had little shaft play and i feel like if my turbo was bad the car would be able to get to 19 psi boost even though it smokes. Then few people said it could be my head gasket since im blowing out white smoke but at times its black smoke so idk. When i did the clutch work and found out i had no coolant i found out i had to put a clip on the coolant over flow tank line because it was leaking so idk if i had some coolant that dripped onto the exhaust or something that was making the exhaust blow white smoke. If my head gasket went wouldnt i get check engine light? Some cars do idk about dsms. Also if i had a bad head gasket wouldnt my car show any other signs other then the white smoke? Need help. Thanks in advance

P.S looked for other forums that could help me and no luck and also i know how to work on cars and if its something i cant figure out i try to find an answer online or take it in

Just for future reference you are going to want to break that paragraph up and try to shorten it up a bit. You are going to scare a lot of people away from reading your post and it makes it difficult to help. The first thing you are going to want to do before anything else is compression test and leak down test your motor and post the results.

Just because the turbo spools good and doesn't mean it is not bad. However that would cause blue smoke 9/10 times if it were bad depending on if you have coolant going to it. Not white.

Also you could have a blown head gasket with no check engine light and have no other symptoms other than burning white smoke and loosing coolant.

Black smoke means the car is running rich. A little black smoke is not always a bad thing. Fuel = black smoke, coolant = white, and oil = blue.

As I said before. Do a compression test and leak down test and then report back with the numbers.

+1 on everything jakk 220 said. What kind of tuner are you using for your setup. By the way you describe the smoke and loss of oil it sounds like your burning oil from somewhere. Best bet is to do a leak down test as jakk 220 said and find out the condition of the block and head.
Also give the underside a good wash with some cleaner and find where the leak is coming from.
Cross out one thing at a time and narrow down where to look.
If everything comes back positive start looking at the turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back