The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Why Do You Mod Your Car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2003
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
What is it that just makes you want to do more.
Our DSM's are all a major part of our lives, what makes you want your DSM to be a large part of your life? You could easily have the option of not making it a large part of your life, but you all don't.
So the question is: Why do you modify your car?

I modify my car because I enjoy trying to make it faster. It is a hobby of mine, and I enjoy my car with a passion.

Simple. I love cars and speed. The DSM just represents my personality well - understated, yet passionate. I love seeing the surprised look I get when I tell people how fast my car is (or should be :) ). There's nothing quite like building up a car. When you've finished an installation and your car reacts well to a modification, there's no bigger sense of accomplishment and pride.

For me, it's all about the pure joy of driving. I like to drive my car fast, and I work hard to make it perform and handle the way I want it to. It's not necessarily about being faster than everyone else - though I am pretty competitive when I'm around my close friends. As long as my car isn't the slowest, I'm pretty content. Straight line speed is fun, but it's not the only thing for me. Personally, I like having a well balanced car.

Modding cars is an outlet for me, and it's a large part of who I am. It's as close as I've been able to get to racing so far. And there aren't many places I'd rather be than at a race track, smelling the fumes of race gas, and being surrounded by fast cars and other people who love cars as much as I do.

Ludachris said:
Simple. I love cars and speed. The DSM just represents my personality well - understated, yet passionate. I love seeing the surprised look I get when I tell people how fast my car is (or should be :) ). There's nothing quite like building up a car. When you've finished an installation and your car reacts well to a modification, there's no bigger sense of accomplishment and pride.

For me, it's all about the pure joy of driving. I like to drive my car fast, and I work hard to make it perform and handle the way I want it to. It's not necessarily about being faster than everyone else - though I am pretty competitive when I'm around my close friends. As long as my car isn't the slowest, I'm pretty content. Straight line speed is fun, but it's not the only thing for me. Personally, I like having a well balanced car.

Modding cars is an outlet for me, and it's a large part of who I am. It's as close as I've been able to get to racing so far. And there aren't many places I'd rather be than at a race track, smelling the fumes of race gas, and being surrounded by fast cars and other people who love cars as much as I do.

Simply amazing. Well put.

Werd:cool:

I don't want my DSM to be a major part of my life but it has just taken over.:p

*m1nd64m3- you beat me to it*

Ludachris said:

Someone's getting Emo:rolleyes: haha but I couldn't say it better.

the chicks dig it.......:cool:

partially true, but ever since I got my license my interest in cars and driving and sky-rocketed. I used to not know what brake fluid was and I was scared to death of driving stick. In the few years Ive been driving I have taught myself to drive stick and have worked on many different cars, everything from gauge installs, electrical work, brakes, even a headgasket on my 1.8. Now I have a 240sx and enjoy learning how to handle a RWD car.

I cant imagine what my life would be like without my cars. Even through numerous girlfriends and changes in my life my cars have always been there for me. I can honestly say that I truly feel love for these masses of steel. Its like they arent machines, they have a soulOMG

</cheesyness>

I bought a DSM because I wanted a fast and cheap car. I wanted to mod it to make it fast, and so I could learn how to work on cars. This is the first car I've really worked on, and I've already done the axles and a clutch swap (though unsuccessfully, something was wrong with the new clutch and flywheel). I love cars, so I think this is the best way to learn about them.

I just love cars and always have. Everyhting I do is in someway related to cars or racing. My desk at work, home, my clothes, pictures, and anythign else all give it away what my passion is. When I have a bad day I go and play with one of my cars or go look for a new one to buy or trade. Like Chris has already said there is nothing more rewarding than to make or do something with your own hands. Just in the last few months I built the motor for my car and when it fired up first shot with no CEL I was ####ing pumped. I put it all together with my own hands and it worked, nothing nicer.

I love my DSM and modding it, because I love being the underdog. Not nessicarly the sleeper look all the time, just a plain underdog. No bigger thrill to me than pulling up beside (a.) someone who has no clue what they just got theirself into, or (b.) a V8, and then showing them what your car can really do.

I'm not in love with my car or anything like that but I am very much into making it perform the way I want it to.
Why do I mod? Because I enjoy being fast from light to light and from exit to exit. I like taking the lane that ends just to pass all the other cars before merging over. I enjoy the way people look when I pull onto the highway and match the speed they are traveling before they even pass me by. And there's nothing like the power to pass other cars on the road "at will" including tractor trailers.

I mod because my butt dyno craves higher numbers and more G's.

Because I like my car to be faster, sexier and meaner!

They say guys think about sex at least once every 3 seconds (mostly true)
But I think about my Turbo AWD at least once every 10 seconds...

I love my dsm because i did everything myself. their isnt any feeling in the world knowing that you built something from the ground up. Sometimes i think to myself why the #### do i own on of these, but I feel 100000000000 better every time i get in the car and take it for a spin.

Its been about a month since my g/f of a year and a half broke up with me. @orking on/driving my dsm is the ONLY THING that can bring a smile to my face.

Good thread :thumb:
david

EclipseSH21 said:
Luda's answer was good, but mines better: Why not? :D
Wow. Such an enigmatic response! Riddles for teh win! :D

I have been in love with Daisy since the day I went to buy my Jeep. I bought Daisy instead. When you spend a couple days (and a lot of money) taking your engine apart, you gain a vested interest in the car beyond what the average, bolt-on boy gets from the experience. Basically, once you rebuild the engine, it's not something Mitsubishi made. It's something you made. It's something you either get or you don't, in my opinion.

Daisy sleeps in a pitch black garage at night. When I leave for work in the morning, I catch a momentary glimpse of her before the kitchen door closes behind me, then I feel my way to the door handle (mine still work, knock on wood). Even opening the door does not light the room, aside from the faint red glow of the door ajar indicator in the cluster, as I leave my dome light turned off all the time.

I sit in the driver's seat and close the door. Without delay, the key hits the ignition cylinder and turns to the ON position. The cockpit begins to come alive. The amber glow of the CEL is supplemented by the red of the seatbelt indicator. I whisper, "Talk dirty to me," and turn the key. Almost instantly, the black sheep of the DSM family, a fully built, normally aspirated 420A fires to life. Her forged pistons slapping in the cold, cast iron heart of my car transfer a vibration to the crankshaft loping along at a steady 750rpm which is felt from head to toe, thanks to a combination of filled and solid mounts. The chilled, morning air is devoured, burned, and expelled in a symphony of delight.

I made this machine. This is all happening because something I wanted to do turned out right.

Only activating the garage door opener allows the rest of the world a glimpse of this morning ritual of DSM fanaticism. The clamor of the Genie mounted overhead nearly drowns out the sweet purr of the idle through a salvaged GST axleback exhaust, but a quick blip of the throttle promptly remedies this unsavory situation. We back out of the driveway, close up the garage, and thoroughly enjoy those first few minutes of our trip to work in relative silence. The radio does not come on until the engine is up to temperature and I am sure Daisy is ready to face the unwashed masses in the morning commute.

Yeah. I'm die hard. I might take things a bit more to heart than other DSMers, but I fell in love with this car the moment I saw it nine years ago and have finally got the car within reach of her goals. She is a head gasket, cam gears, and tune away from being done and while she's slower than, perhaps, even a stock, turbo DSM, she is at the top of her all motor world and she is an absolute blast to drive. I've been revved on by people at lights as I pull up, only to have then reconsider upon catching a glimpse of the hood shaking along with the lopey idle.

It's just that much fun. My closest friends are DSMers. My vacation each year is to a mud spot in Ohio less than an hour from where I was born to hang out with DSMers, talk about DSMs, and watch DSMs. To some people, this is just a hobby. To others, DSM is life.

I'll shut up now before you all have me committed. :sneaky:

I guess I mod my car because I dream about what I want my car to be, and I build it. If I see something I like, I'll buy it.
There is nothing that makes me feel better then bringing a dream of mine to life. It's my high, it gets me going, and makes me feel good. Nothing else can do that to me.

It's not necessarily about being faster than everyone else - though I am pretty competitive when I'm around my close friends. As long as my car isn't the slowest, I'm pretty content.
Your in my house now! FRESH MEAT!!! :D

Ludachris said:

I completely agree.... i love my car almost more than some of my family members. It's also a refection of who i am. It is the reflection of what is inside. By myself i am a quiet person who usually obeys all rules, and kind and curtious. The GSX is the way i am truely myself.....:dsm: for fcukin life

dr1665 said:
I whisper, "Talk dirty to me," and turn the key.

Bwhahaha. I love it.

My cars are both sluts.

I mod the summer one because it's a sense of accomplishment when you fabricate your own parts and crank down more horsepower to the wheels. It's even more fun when you have the single fastest car in your entire college which is jam packed with car guys and very sexy girls. I have yet to lose to anyone at the track who has challenged me from my school. Everyone knows the car just by the monster FMIC, lopy cams, restrictionless exhaust and the stock look.

My winter car likes empty parking lots and a foot of the white stuff. It's slow, but on the snow, it's unbeatable in any situation.

Flash said:
I guess I mod my car because I dream about what I want my car to be, and I build it. If I see something I like, I'll buy it.
There is nothing that makes me feel better then bringing a dream of mine to life. It's my high, it gets me going, and makes me feel good. Nothing else can do that to me.

Your in my house now! FRESH MEAT!!! :D

OMG

spare us, rooki3

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back