The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Why Do You Mod Your Car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Because I love being pushed back to the seat...

Some of these responses are giving me the chills. I did not realize that some people did love their cars as much as I love mine. Some of what others are saying here are just so true!

I really like DR1665's post. I can relate to EVERYTHING your saying.

dr1665 said:
The radio does not come on until the engine is up to temperature
Ok, Im glad I'm not the only one. I turn the radio off and open the windows alot just to enjoy the exhaust purr, turbo spool, and bov sneeze. DSM's just sound so good.

I guess to me my car is the only toy I have. I remember kids get fascinated when they get a new toy... play with it for some time... then get used to it. Thats how I feel about putting new parts and tuning my car. I put something on... play with it... get used to the speed and boost and forget that it is any faster... then I have to make it even faster. I feel that as long as I own the car I will keep modding it. There is no stopping to it. You know as they say: the older you get the more expensive the toys.

I dont know all about chics liking eclipses... I guess most girls ive been around are all rich spoiled b!tches who dont go out with you if your car costs less then 40k and your parents dont own half of town.

My first full-on hobby was computer geekery. In high school, I was that kid who spent hours upon hours in his room working on some obscure piece of code that I and about three other people on the planet gave a damn about. But, when I was done, and what I'd written worked, I got a rush of accomplishment: that feeling that you can figure anything out, given enough time. I had an old '69 GMC pickup at the time that I basically managed to keep running, but the extent of my interest in vehicular modification went as far as keeping the truck on the road so I could see my friends 40 minutes away in the next town on the weekend.

Fast-forward quite a few years. Computer geekery is now my day-job, and they're right: never do what you love for a living. ;) I didn't have much in the way of a hobby, and after working in front of a screen all day, the last thing you want to do is get in front of it at home. I had what I thought was a "cool car", a 6-cylinder Mustang :rolleyes:, and on the expressway one evening had my ass handed to me by a 2g Eclipse with exhaust and probably not much else. So, I started looking into them a bit; I found dsm.org, and noticed how easy it was to get a little more performance out of them with just a few changes. I read more, I subscribed to a local DSM mailing list to get more information, signed up here on DSMtuners, and when the lease ran out on the Mustang, I found a 1999 GSX in pretty much pristine condition that I snapped up.

Since then, working on that car has gone from hacking the BOV return tube, changing fluids, and being afraid I'd do something bad enough to require me to take car to a dealership to fix, to doing a 2.4L swap, a complete fuel system replacement, transmission work, buying a 1g as a "daily driver", buying a WRX wagon as a real "daily driver" since the 1g didn't work out so well in that role, and generally not being afraid to work on any part of the car. I have the respect of a new group of people, I help out others where I can about the things I've learned, and enjoy the hell out of the results of my new hobby: driving (and turning) fast. I go to the track and cheer others on, and I get a rush when I manage a new personal best down the 1/4-mile or around a particularly challenging autocross course.

That's the long-winded way of getting to my point: modding my car is about picking up a new skill, reminding myself that there's nothing I can't learn to do given a little time and focus, going fast, showing off, helping others, being part of a community, being victorious, sharing in the victories of others, and getting chicks.

Well, maybe not that last part. I don't care if it's cars or computers, noone wants to date a geek. ;)

Because I blew my stock turbo and of course had to get a bigger one. And then for compatibility reasons came the fuel pump, injectors, fmic, safc, bov, exhaust, intake, clutch, suspension, etc etc etc etc.....

And after all that, it doesnt run. :notgood:

Owning a DSM isn't a hobby or just something to dump your money into. It becomes a lifestyle. The meetings, the events being pissed when your car is broken and loving it when it purrs, being up at 3 am trying to track down parts or figure something out on the forums. And of course the actual driving. The feeling i get when my car, that i modifyed, stomps on that car that had to go to a specialty shop or came from the factory with 300 hp is just amazing. That's why i mod

It starts when saw FaF trailer...ooh what is that..I would like to get ..someday..In Czech republic we had some CRX´s civics and corollas..we known about EVOs,WRXs from Rallye but I didn´t know about Eclipse,RX,Supras.
and now got my AWD ..only ONE in Czech republic and Iam PROUD!:tease: :tease: :rocks:
Now got my car To beat rest of cars which driving in here...such as VW,BMW,Mercedes,Honda and ferraris:cool: EVOs WRXs.....of course on on Drag way...
My eclipse is for me the ONLY ONE thing I'm pleased with it !!! not my Girlfriend or so...not kidding..90% of day Iam thinking on my car..how to fix..how to set..how to ..checking DSMtuners:thumb:
Thank you guys......I know sometimes you are boring of my questions...,but for me everything is twice worst than for you...shipping prices are killing me..then the Custom duty.... Next ..TRANSLATE and Understand it..to make it well.
Venca from Czech

MarsaGSX said:
It starts when saw FaF trailer...ooh what is that..I would like to get ..someday..In Czech republic we had some CRX´s civics and corollas..we known about EVOs,WRXs from Rallye but I didn´t know about Eclipse,RX,Supras.
and now got my AWD ..only ONE in Czech republic and Iam PROUD!:tease: :tease: :rocks:
Now got my car To beat rest of cars which driving in here...such as VW,BMW,Mercedes,Honda and ferraris:cool: EVOs WRXs.....of course on on Drag way...
My eclipse is for me the ONLY ONE thing I'm pleased with it !!! not my Girlfriend or so...not kidding..90% of day Iam thinking on my car..how to fix..how to set..how to ..checking DSMtuners:thumb:
Thank you guys......I know sometimes you are boring of my questions...,but for me everything is twice worst than for you...shipping prices are killing me..then the Custom duty.... Next ..TRANSLATE and Understand it..to make it well.
Venca from Czech

Prague is AWESOME!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back