The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Why do they hate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indian

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 15, 2009
Bishop, California
Why do so many people hate on DSMs? Is it just where I live? I constantly get people giving me shit about my car,the money i put into it,they tell me I should have bought a new car,they laugh make jokes and it just gets old. Even my co workers are constantly nagging at me. Why do people do this? They dont understand,and I try to ingore them but everyday it comes up. Does this happen to you guys and girls? please share your feedback.

You will always find people who hate pretty much any car out there. There will always be something about it or the stereotypical owner that they don't like.

Heck, my parents don't like my car. I personally don't care what others say. I enjoy putting time and money into it and look forward to more racing.

If they're giving you crap about your car, apparently it is not fast enough.

No one seems to point fingers at a fast DSM unless they're pointing and saying "Holy shit, there goes a fast-ass DSM!" LOL

haha you are right, but I never show them how fast I am. I like to keep it a secret for when the right opportunity arises. :sneaky:

As long as you like and enjoy the car, thier OPINION doesn't mean anything.

Hating has been around as long as cars have been. As long as you own a 4cyl in a "V 8 world" someone is going to talk. What is important is that you find happiness in putting time and your money into what you want. Any prick can buy a new corvette and think they are happy, but at the end of the day they dont know shit about their car, and they want to change stuff on it anyways. Do what makes you happy.:thumb:

Its just annoying after everyday I just dont know why they dont keep the opinions to themselves....I mean WHO CARES
Some people care enough to start threads, apparently. ;)

Ignore it. These are niche cars.

Some people care enough to start threads, apparently. ;)

Ignore it. These are niche cars.

Happens to me all the time. My car is fairly stock looking, and somewhat quiet. (2.5inch exhaust, magnaflow cat)
I recently did a timing belt/head gasket job and got it painted and was getting ragged on the whole time. "Putting more time and money in that car than its worth.", etc...

But, I laugh at them when I spent less to fix it than their monthly payment+insurance.

It also helps when you give an unsuspecting co-worker a taste of a nice AWD launch. :D

I really never had the hate issue. Where I live its mostly all v8's and the smaller displacement four cylinder are nothing more than civic with a fart can. So mainly anything around here at the time with a four cylinder was a joke, until I got my car running good and was easily keeping up and or beating the v8 guys. They all still call my car the ricer but its just as a joking matter.

As said before do whatever it is that makes you happy. Sometimes there is a lot of money that ends up being invested in these cars, but I would rather do this and have something to show for investing my hard earned money then wasting it on numerous other useless things.

i am a big fan of the old drag boys who been doing this for the past 60 years that always ask if i run 2 cycle. and i tell them know, that's for my rx7.

These are niche cars.

Exactly.

Some people know about them, but the majority don't. I've been pleasantly surprised at most of the comments people make.

One fella told me he"wanted to run me at the track, if that DSM doesn't explode". His car? A naturally aspirated 2.0 VW golf, that would be lucky to make 120whp.

Some people just don't get it.

same around here for me, but either way the haters are gonna hate.
around here its the honda owners that think their fart can is better than my whole car, or a guy i go to school with that has an automatic GT mustang, lightly modded, and believes it's better than anything.

i just shake my head and dump the clutch:hellyeah:

Happens to me daily... either on the commute in to work or home (rarely have time for much else). Even better is a banged up hood that now requires hood pins adding to the whole rice boy look (ugh) and a front bumper that is not on due to working the core support a little each week. Add my little twisted intercooler (zero leaks surprisingly) and I get funny looks and grins. I just grin back, then my car whistles back at them ;)

EDIT: I don't care what people think really about it... it looks like a POS now, but it doesn't bother me because I know what it is and can be. Just to show off what she looks like now and I work in an industry where there's always a Benz, Hummer, BMW, etc. parked next to mine.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I've found the best way, at least dealing with friends and family, is to break out the money chart. Ok i spent roughly 3g on a car, put about 7g into it, the totals 10g's... my car is faster and better looking than any new 10g car out there, not to mention i know my car inside and out so if something ever happens i'll have it fixed instantly, doing the work myself, and not spending out my ass to have a mechanic tear it apart.

Tell them to suck your left nut. If you feel the same way I do then your driving the car you have wanted since you were like 15.

I have been wanting a 95-99 Eclipse GST/GSX since I was 15 or 16 and kind of accepted the Talon because it was cheap and fast and close to what I wanted. People hated but still when it was on the road it would pass anything else except a gas station.

Now the only car I am looking at getting in the future would be and Evo or and WRX STI. And I am sure there will be haters when I am driving one of those as well.

I'll let everyone in on a little pro tip. Living life is a lot easier when you stop caring about what everyone else thinks. Oh yeah, pride is a killer too. Damn now I'm giving away all the secrets...

Highly likely that they are red eyed for what you got and for them to only dream about.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back