The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Why can't i hear my turbo spool and why doesnt my exhaust sound great?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsgk53

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2011
lith, Illinois
I own a 98 eclipse gsx 5 speed. It has a built 7 bolt revised motor. It also has 272 bc cams, a thermal r&d exhaust, no cat and megan downpipe. The turbo i have in it is a older style pte 5252re td housing which i was told was a real pte by few people but no where does it say pte. I was told it was made when gerrett and pte shared parts or something like that. I also have a tial qr, dsm link v3 full, rc 1000cc injectors, internal wastegate on the turbo, evo 3 or what i was told evo gt ported exhaust manifold, stock intake manifold and 3.5" vrsf fmic. Soon i will be upgrading to a pte 6466 t3 ball bearing and a bigger t3 exhaust manifold with wastegate not sure which one but maybe a $800+ stm one, 44mm wastegate, duel fuel pumps and a jm fab or magnus intake manifold. Right now i am not sure what my turbo is because like i said it says 5252re on it but no where does it says pte on it. Right under 5252re it says 300-5253 and if im correct on pte's website a 300-5253 is not a 5252 and a 5252 is a 5252e not re. No where does a 5252re come up on google except for my other posts. Anyways its at around 350hp only because i have a stock 2g trans still. Once i upgrade to a 6466, 2000cc or 2150cc injectors, build my tans, tune my car,go to 40psi boost, upgrade my exhaust/intake manifolds and go e85 i plan to be around 750-800hp.

But for now the way i am i am set at 19psi. I know i am not pushing over 350 hp but then again i am not stock hp. I am are cars are dsms but why cant i hear my turbo spool at all? What do i need to do to make that happen? My car is kind of quick for 350 but it takes for ever to get up there to the 19psi boost. I mean im happy for it to have 19psi boost but i wast told my turbo doesnt have a quick spool and this was my builder. He said he has down few cars with same turbos like mine and they had lag. Is there a reason why i have lag and why I cant hear my turbo. I mean i can hear my cams and exhaust but then again i have heard nice sounding dsms. Like i have one of the best exhaust and nothing. I will post few videos 1 of my car before i went to dsmlink v3 with 2 step. Not the best video as this was taken with my old phone and also it had an srs exhaust system with the cams on it and i feel like the srs exhaust sounds like the thermal exhaust still which i thought it would sound nicer. The second video is of a gst with the thermal r&d exhaust and it sound great. I know there is many other videos out there but this one the thermal sounds perfect imo. Third video of a dsm spooling. Not the best video but it does sound good for the most part

First video of my gsx:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
another video of my car with the thermal r&d exahaust on but was having a problem and the sound of the exhaust changed but fixed it-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7703ZErXAJQ

Second video exhaust:

Third video spooling:
this one sounds nice-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0KzN_MzXpE

The pictures of the turbos are of the turbo i have.

Thanks in advance for the help

Attachments

• 16473962_10154150392832751_7645055038127330211_n.jpg
    16473962_10154150392832751_7645055038127330211_n.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 16508762_10154150393172751_3723998128438124385_n.jpg
    16508762_10154150393172751_3723998128438124385_n.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 16602667_10154150393322751_9049088410713890081_n.jpg
    16602667_10154150393322751_9049088410713890081_n.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 86
I'm not sure. But how loud are trying to be. I think subtle but quick is better. The tone you have is good(just my opinion) loud draws attention, sometimes unwanted(LOL)

I would like to be fast more then loud but i want my car to sound nice. I want it to be fast but sound like the white gst in the video. Sometimes i get people thinking my car is stock by the way it sounds. I know thats a good thing but then again i want to be able to hear my turbo a little and have that deep rumble sound to it

A SCM5252RE (later called the 6052RE) is a Sport Compact-series turbo with a Mitsubishi turbine housing, 60-1 compressor on a T350 turbine, ball bearing "race" cartridge, with an "E" compressor cover...in that order. 19psi is not really enough boost for a 60-1 compressor in an unported T04E compressor cover to make noise. The wheel's size in addition to the trim (60) along with the tip height (8mm) mean it's barely compressing the air charge in order to generate 19psi compared to something like a 16G at the same boost level.

Your video of the "spool" sounds almost like you have a boost leak near the compressor cover somewhere as indicated by the strange Skilsaw-sounding spool characteristic. May want to make sure there's an o-ring between the seal plate and cover- I've seen some PTE turbos that were missing these.

A SCM5252RE (later called the 6052RE) is a Sport Compact-series turbo with a Mitsubishi turbine housing, 60-1 compressor on a T350 turbine, ball bearing "race" cartridge, with an "E" compressor cover...in that order. 19psi is not really enough boost for a 60-1 compressor in an unported T04E compressor cover to make noise. The wheel's size in addition to the trim (60) along with the tip height (8mm) mean it's barely compressing the air charge in order to generate 19psi compared to something like a 16G at the same boost level.

Your video of the "spool" sounds almost like you have a boost leak near the compressor cover somewhere as indicated by the strange Skilsaw-sounding spool characteristic. May want to make sure there's an o-ring between the seal plate and cover- I've seen some PTE turbos that were missing these.

The spool video is not of my car but someone i found on youtube. The 2 first videos where mine.

so you say my turbo isnt a pte and its a SCM5252RE? How can you tell?

No(correct me Justin if I'm wrong, I didn't mean to step on your toes)what he's saying tho buddy about the turbo you have is similar to a hybrid. In early days people weren't changing over to t3's and 4's etc. it was cheaper to keep you Mitsubishi style housing so they used a Mitsubishi housing hotside. So you keep your stock manifold and 2 bolt dp exhaust.

If the photos you posted above are of your turbo, it's a PTE SCM5252RE which uses a Garrett T04S 60-1 ball bearing CHRA in a DSM-flanged PTE turbine housing with a PTE "T04E-spec" compressor cover.

Garrett did not offer this turbo in any platform other than T04S, so PTE would've taken the Garrett CHRA, removed the compressor wheel and T04S seal plate, installed their own T04E seal plate, reinstalled the compressor, then proceeded with the rest of the construction.

Thanks guys. But in todays turbos turbos what would this turbo be? i know a 6052re was said but making sure. I was told by few people if its a 5252 turbo im guessing there thinking of a new one its good for 450hp and some said 650hp but not sure which one it is

If you want turbo spool noises, get a turbo that has an antisurge compressor cover. That'll give you all the noise you could ever want. Most videos are hard to judge what a car sounds like in real life too.

A side exit exhaust will give you a nice exhaust tone.

I have a side exit, the turbo whistles pretty loud through the exhaust side even at idle. It sounds pretty cool at WOT, but the whistle and the noise can be pretty annoying at cruising speed. And it draws a lot of attention, it's loud, wouldn't recommend it if you do much street driving. I also take it off and install a 3in rear exit once a year to pass state inspection.

But in todays turbos turbos what would this turbo be?

I literally stated exactly what wheels it uses above...to save you time Googling, the specs are 59/76mm on the compressor and 71/62mm on the turbine. You can't directly-compare it to any of "today's" turbos because it's not from "today". That's like asking what modern car would be directly-comparable to a 1976 AMC Pacer.

what modern car would be directly-comparable to a 1976 AMC Pacer

Close enough.

To hear the turbo spool you need to drill a 1-3/8" hole in the topside of the compressor cover right before the outlet.

To hear the exhaust cut a hole in the floor and route a small pipe from the exhaust into the passenger compartment behind the driver's seat.

Seriously how loud do you need it? Is it 3" all the way back?

I have a FP Black(lag monster) with 3" dumped. It's maybe 30" of pipe. VERY loud. But yes, at idle i can hear the whistle you probably are looking for. During spool it's very loud. Having a full exhaust, even 3", will restrict what you hear. Size of the turbine matters too i suppose.

If you are worried so much about making noise with your car, you arent ready to make anywhere near 700-800 hp, that kind of power takes a certain level of maturity and dedication to achieve not to mention a wad of money and by the sounds of it you seem likely a millenial without enough of at least two out of the three of those right now. Maybe set your sights a little lower for the time being and build up to that goal at a slower pace, learning along the way as most of us have.

Its funny to me that 8 years ago the newbie goal was instantly 300-350 hp, then around 5 years ago it went to 350-450 hp and now in the last 3 years the goal has risen to 650-750 hp or more LOL. Progress is nice but not much has changed in the Dsm progress scene in the last 10 years, not sure where guys are coming up with these lofty power goals at? maybe because oem V-8 manufacturers have increased factory stock listed hp numbers and that is creating a benchmark that 4cyl guys feel that they have to compete with to beat their buddys cars? either way, dick swinging is never a good trait or something to be "known" for, making a car loud for the sake of drawing attention is bad, VERY bad for our car scene and the reason for the bad rap that "four bangers" get from the public, much less the actual V-8 crowd that already has a chip on thier shoulder about 4 cyl cars in general, tone it down and lets go fast with class shall we?

If you are worried so much about making noise with your car, you arent ready to make anywhere near 700-800 hp, that kind of power takes a certain level of maturity and dedication to achieve not to mention a wad of money and by the sounds of it you seem likely a millenial without enough of at least two out of the three of those right now. Maybe set your sights a little lower for the time being and build up to that goal at a slower pace, learning along the way as most of us have.

Its funny to me that 8 years ago the newbie goal was instantly 300-350 hp, then around 5 years ago it went to 350-450 hp and now in the last 3 years the goal has risen to 650-750 hp or more LOL. Progress is nice but not much has changed in the Dsm progress scene in the last 10 years, not sure where guys are coming up with these lofty power goals at? maybe because oem V-8 manufacturers have increased factory stock listed hp numbers and that is creating a benchmark that 4cyl guys feel that they have to compete with to beat their buddys cars? either way, dick swinging is never a good trait or something to be "known" for, making a car loud for the sake of drawing attention is bad, VERY bad for our car scene and the reason for the bad rap that "four bangers" get from the public, much less the actual V-8 crowd that already has a chip on thier shoulder about 4 cyl cars in general, tone it down and lets go fast with class shall we?

:applause::D When a vehicle is TRULY FAST a byproduct will be that it's LOUD...
Unless it's A tesla or something electric,LOL

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread but this is somewhat on topic. First, let's not be so harsh on this guy. He's trying to learn but is coming across as ignorant. Second, when I first got into DSMs in 2001 it was very easy to be competitive in street racing. I had very little in mods/money on my 92 fwd laser but it was built and setup well and l lost very few races. Once I switched to awd I don't think I ever lost a race, although that car was sold within a year and a half due to starting college.

What changed the whole scene was the 2003 Mustang Cobra Terminator whatever the f*** million names it has. Kids would get their dads to buy one and a chip, pulley, intake and exhaust would make you almost unbeatable. You could be the biggest dope, worst mechanic and $1500 in mods made you the fastest guy in town. Fast forward to today were the car scene is all about how much money you can spend. It doesn't matter if you're a great mechanic or great tuner. Your stupid little 16g isn't going to matter against kid with gt500 and a 150 shot. Your hx35 probably isn't taking out the Z07 with slicks and a 100 shot or the guy who has a $25k evo with another 20k in mods from random tuner shop. While your trying to figure out which cam is best for your 20g, Evo guy is running 45psi on a 6466. The car scene is just an arms race and people who don't know any better won't know how to just an enjoy a fast DSM without feeling lowly.

^^^ This is true. Personally I run a GT4202R on my car with a 4" bumper exit exhaust and do everything that I can to tone it down, this also means that I dont have it that way just to make noise and draw attention to myself, its out of neccesity and Im none to happy about it, the car gets driven to the track and car shows/meets and not around town or late at night when people are sleeping or TRYING to, the idea that someone would want a car louder for entertainment makes little sense to me and shows a certain maturity level and responsability level or lack thereof. Not intending to rip anyone apart here, I'm more about preserving whats left of the import scene by not having the Dsms look like nothing but ricers owned by idiots thats the point, lets be adults enough to take constructive criticism from our own here before it has to come from others outside of the community thats all.

my wager is there will be a a lot of butt hurt about to be found on this thread....

a 5252PTE? I ran a 5558 dsm flanged and the MOST it would do was around 34psi. It was arguably a better turbo than the FP black i have now. Lag was almost non existent and, after many many hours dialing the car in, it did indeed flow an honest 52lbs/min on a cool day.
Too much for my then fwd,MT, GST, but what a great turbo. Ran it hard and it has zero shaft play.

To the point; i had a 3" FULL exhaust and could hardly ever hear the spool. It's all about size of the turbo and how free the exhaust is.
sorry to post again. I didn't catch the mention of a 5252 the first time
The 6466 is an excellent choice, btw. Best of luck! You are DEFINITELY gonna hear spool even w a full exhaust on a turbo as large as a 6466. I always heard bad things about PTE but a whole lotta people outside the dsm world have been running them for a long time. I had great luck with mine.

I mean i can hear my cams

Anyone else wondering about this?

I hope not, thats not the intention.

Of course not, but people rarely like getting told they are acting like a child and will never meet there goes unless they grow up. Hopefully the OP takes the advice and there isn't another DSM shredded when 40lbs of boost let go due to knock cause he was trying to "hear the turbo"

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back