The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved Whose OG billet shift forks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon20g

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 21, 2007
WHITAKERS, North_Carolina
I bought a built transmission off of Carolina DSM 15 years ago from Wendy (Girlieracr4g63). Opened it up today to find billet shift forks I didn't know were in it. I lost fourth gear and it ended up being a roll pin. Curious who made the billet shift forks, if anyone knows. Also, I'm not sure how to identify other parts that may be upgrades. I don't know much about transmissions. Does anyone know how I can identify vevo parts or any upgrades that may be on this? It all looks the same to me.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I haven't seen those but Magnus still makes them.

Those are from BM Trans. You will notice they also made the shift rail end on the 3rd/4th too.

I had some of their stuff in my transmissions back in the early 2000's. Nice stuff!

I also see a GVR4 1st gear, double synchro 2nd gear, 90 style 3rd/4th gearset.

Pull out the front diff and see if it has a phantom grip insert in it. Also check the center diff if it is 4 spider or welded or stock.

She is back together already but it did have a 4 spider center diff. I don't remember seeing a phantom grip insert. Would the 1990 3rd and 4th be the weak link in this trans?

They are the heaviest gear sets and are the desired ones. I have mine apart right now and it has the 4 spyder dif, double syncro 1st & 2nd with 1990 HD 3rd & 4th according to my Jacks Invoice from back in 2014.

The gears were durable, if it is that old, it could have had an Evo 3 style 3rd/4th forged hub and slider in it too; but since it is back together and you didn't take pictures of the 3/4 hub and slider disassembled I cannot give you details on what you have.

The trans should hold a decent amount of power if it is cared for, and definitely use Redline 75w140NS gear oil.

Those are BM Tranny forks as mentioned.

I'm pretty sure I built that transmission for her.

Standard 91.05-92.05 3-4 Gear Set.

Dual Cone 97 style 2nd gear, 4-spider diff.

These are some pics my brother took.

The gears were durable, if it is that old, it could have had an Evo 3 style 3rd/4th forged hub and slider in it too; but since it is back together and you didn't take pictures of the 3/4 hub and slider disassembled I cannot give you details on what you have.

The trans should hold a decent amount of power if it is cared for, and definitely use Redline 75w140NS gear oil.
Thanks for the gear oil recommendation. We had Redline in it but all I had at the shop was some Pennzoil synchromesh. I will definitely order some.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back