The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Who's running boostin's KDN shifter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my98gsx

Supporting VIP
Aug 14, 2005
Wappingers, New_York
I have been having some difficulty while at the track getting my car into 3rd gear... This is 100% nerves, while making sure I'm not slamming it back into 1st. I came across Boostin' Performances KDN shifter and fell in love with it. Especially the 1,2,1 lock out feature! A friend of mine put it in his 1g, but blew it up before I could get a full review. (Felt so solid though!) Is anyone running it currently? I would love some feedback before I make my purchase. Also, pics installed in a 2G would be very helpful. I have only seen one pic of it clearing the stock center console. Thanks

Product info: https://shop.boostinperformance.com/product-p/bp-kdn-shifter.htm?CartID=1

I have been having some difficulty while at the track getting my car into 3rd gear... This is 100% nerves, while making sure I'm not slamming it back into 1st. I came across Boostin' Performances KDN shifter and fell in love with it. Especially the 1,2,1 lock out feature! A friend of mine put it in his 1g, but blew it up before I could get a full review. (Felt so solid though!) Is anyone running it currently? I would love some feedback before I make my purchase. Also, pics installed in a 2G would be very helpful. I have only seen one pic of it clearing the stock center console. Thanks

Product info: https://shop.boostinperformance.com/product-p/bp-kdn-shifter.htm?CartID=1
Actually I started to install it on my 1G today. I don't run it yet and it's 1G, so I can't give you a very useful info/review but I have had it in my hand since when they released it at the first time like 2 years ago. I didn't have a chance to install it since I was trying to make a Ikeya shifter working on 1G.
I wanted the Boostin shifter because I have some bad habit with my shifting and after I switched to a dogbox I started to make 2-3-2 money-shift with stock shifter, and it's very scary.. The Boostin shifter originally comes with 2-3-2 lock out (Also works as 2-3-R lock out), so that's perfect for me. but after I received it I found that actually it comes with a stiff side-to-side spring, so I think even without the 2-3-2 lock out feature, it would be safer than stock shifter for me. And it is very robust. I didn't add the 1-2-1 lock out option since that can be added in later.
Mine came with a nice 120 gram shift knob and they say the knob's thread pitch is M12x1.5 but the one I received was actually M12x1.75. So just be careful about that, in case if you would decide to go with the shifter and if you would want to change the knob.

Last edited:
I'm running the Boostin Performance KDN shifter since it came out. This is on a 1g. I had to do some trimming inside the center console in order to make it fit but, I was able to make it fit nice. Personally, I have not used the 1,2,1 and 2,3,2 lock out anti money shifts. This is because I'm still trying to figure out a way on how to work the mechanism with the center console on. With this said, I have not needed. The side to side spring is quite stiff. The shifter feels very solid and the shifts feel precise and crisp. It made driving my car much more fun. Another not so important thing that I really enjoy is the sound that the shifter makes when you shift gears.
I have had quite a few shifters that I have modified over the years to help with the shifting and to enhance the driving experience even more.
I personally can only say great things about the BP KDN shifter. The only bad thing about it is that I'm still trying to find a way on how to make use of the 1,2,1 lock out option while having the center console fully installed in a 1g. So do I recommend it? Absolutely!

Also looking for feedback from any 2G users. Really want to grab this for mine

I have a 1g with the KDN shifter so far it’s working well.
Tip 1- check all the bolts my car vibrates quite a bit and at times things get loose. At one point I lost third gear because of the linkage hardware was coming loose.

tip-2 make sure you lube it as per KDN there’s many videos on YouTube.

tip- 3 make sure you adjust your lock outs

i hope this helps pm me if you need more info or videos

I was probably one of the first ones to receive it for a 2g and have it installed.
I do have the lockout option.
I had to cut my center console where the cigarette lighter usually is to fit it. I just relocated around the side with an aftermarket one.
My first advice would be to watch the 3 videos on YouTube on installalion and setting up the cables.
They will be way more useful then I could be with the install.
Like awd monster already said, make sure to randomly check the bolts because I have had a few vibrate loose, but I also have all solid mounts.
Also make sure to periodically lube up the shifter.
The lockout was a little tricky to setup for me, but after watching Boostin's video number 3, it helped square away some questions I had.

My car is 100% a drag car, and with this shifter I have approx 15 passes on it.
With my stock shifter I would miss 3rd probably every 5 passes. I have yet to miss 3rd with this shifter. Also if you have the lockout setup properly then you don't have to worry about money shifting.

This shifter feels so much tighter and feels a lot stronger. My only issue I had with the install was the base plate had to be slightly drilled out bigger for the holes to line up. Not a big deal. Took about 2 minutes to drill it out.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'll be more than happy to help.

Brian

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just a little tip. If the transmission has a scatter shield, a cable would contact it due to slight different angle. So it may require to slightly move the cable bracket towards passenger side. The pic is on 1G.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back