The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Who wants a big SMIC? gauging interest

If a 2G big SMIC were available, would you buy it?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I may even be down. And I'm poor so as long as its a bolt on kit for the 1g, I may put sum money away.
I have a feeling this would be the intercooler only, but let's have @Raven Fabrication clarify that.

With so many aluminum I/C pipe pieces available now there should be a way to source the bends needed for this. Of course, once you modify anything (different intake manifold, throttle body, turbo, etc) you'd have to account for that anyway.

I have a feeling this would be the intercooler only, but let's have @Raven Fabrication clarify that.

With so many aluminum I/C pipe pieces available now there should be a way to source the bends needed for this. Of course, once you modify anything (different intake manifold, throttle body, turbo, etc) you'd have to account for that anyway.

Correct, this would be intercooler only. Afterwards I could probably offer some sort of piping kit too...

I’m in. I’ve been looking for a smic. Also, I’ve worked a little with Raven Fab before (they’re like, 10 mins from my house), and they’ve been super awesome.

Correct, this would be intercooler only. Afterwards I could probably offer some sort of piping kit too...

I figured intercooler only. But you would be talking about a stock location intercooler. Down the road im sure Raven could put together an upper and lower ic piping kit for bolt on purpose, like the old Hahn or dejon you know, bolt on a stock ish car kit. Getting ahead of myself yes, but I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would want something like this.
Feel free to quote me folks if you would also like a bolt on super sidemount.

Yay! More people want to be like my cars!

I have the Dejon (2 versions), Radioactive (think it's what it was called) and a Hahn if you need measurements. (Not selling them, took me forever to find them)

I also know someone who came across one for a 1g, if I can get him to let it go, and you don't mind shipping from Canada, I'm pretty sure he's not using it.

Dejon, Burschur and GReddy all made SMIC hard pipes. They all seemed to fit my stock sidemount fine, but the Burschur Racing was the best of the bunch for me since it's a one piece design.

The Buschur pipe is indeed the best one of the mix. Harder to find but way tougher (thing is solid!) Bends are good but it's tight under the fusebox.

Greddy is VERY light, Dejon is between the two but the flange on the TB can flex. They had two version, V1 was thin, V2 was thick and wouldn't bend.

Attachments

• 20201004_234651.jpg
    20201004_234651.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 107
  • dsc04465.jpg
    dsc04465.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:
I already have a front mount on my car, but I definetly would prefer to have a side mount. Does anyone know how much power a bigger sidemount would be efficient for? Currently pushing 400whp with no intentions to go higher.

I already have a front mount on my car, but I definetly would prefer to have a side mount. Does anyone know how much power a bigger sidemount would be efficient for? Currently pushing 400whp with no intentions to go higher.

400hp is doable as proven with the supra smic. Only issue is heat soak after many pulls. You have to make a duct for it though or make sure vacuum helps you pull air. Or add a water injection system if you will do many pulls. Rad temps run much cooler and your fins don't get dinged up as much tucked in on the side (smic).

Depends on the core size, but generally yes, a super SMIC should be able to handle 400hp without issue, as long as it is ducted properly (as noted above).

It won’t be able to match a full size FMIC in terms of performance, but if you aren’t looking to go for 600hp, (yet) then this is a good option and you won’t have other attendant issues like blocked radiator flow.

** I think we are 14-15 people. Keep it coming! Don’t let the cooler weather fool you... summer is right around the corner

I might be willing to sell my vrsf for an SMIC. Would allow me go back to my talon bumper. Especially if one of the fab companies known for quality made it, price wouldn't be an issue.

I think this boils down to the Supra smic intercooler being cheap and the limit to hp a smic can handle. Most of use are past the smic efficiency. Most ppl willing to spend the money on this are past the power where they can use it.

I think it's a bit more involved than this. SMIC and intercooler efficiency has come along way in 25 years since our car and the MKIV were released. The supra IC maxes out the dimensions of the stock IC location, but still gets heat soaked on track days from what other DSMers have said. Not to mention it appears to be an actual bear to mount.

Yes the SMIC will always be trumped by its main weakness of not having large surface areas to work with. But with fin design and better heat dissipation technology and slightly smaller dimensions than the supra IC this crowd is hoping for an intercooler that can handle moderate HP increases while retaining the stock look.

That last point seems to be worth alot of money these days, retaining a stealthy stock look over many makes and models including the supra is worth more than the "standard" FMIC. At least to some.

And we need 4 more votes to hit the 20 that @Raven Fabrication wanted to start looking into it. So for now I will keep going with my 2gb eclipse front bumper and VRSF intercooler with a lower valence cold air induction setup that I had planned from the start.

My vote is remains yes, albeit a hopeful yes.

I just started the thread to see if we could do it. I’m not sure if we have enough people to commit yet... but I’m happy to have Raven Fabrications take it over and run with it. They can decide how they want payment and how to organize it.

I thought there was a member close by to Raven that was willing to be the first to do the mock-up... but again, Raven can decide whether that’s necessary or not.

:thumb:

I just started the thread to see if we could do it. I’m not sure if we have enough people to commit yet... but I’m happy to have Raven Fabrications take it over and run with it. They can decide how they want payment and how to organize it.

I thought there was a member close by to Raven that was willing to be the first to do the mock-up... but again, Raven can decide whether that’s necessary or not.

:thumb:

I voted yes originally and I'm still in.

I'm still down. I'm the one that lives super close to them and if they want my car for a mock up I'm down; I'm very much hoping that this group buy turns into a reality.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back