The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Who makes an LSD for the 1g NT 5 speed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

destrux

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 27, 2002
Tamaqua, Pennsylvania
Just like the title says, I'm looking for a LSD for my 1g NT 5 speed. Anyone know of a company that makes one? I'm not looking for a phantom grip or a BM tranny insert, I need a real LSD.

TRE would be good or shep, non turbo trans is pretty much the same as the turbo one so you should have a problem finding one.

Thanks Ill check them out.

While the SBR type lsd inserts SHOULD work, the actual full diff's most likley will not. I have torn apart both 91 turbo and non turbo trans and the full diff itself is different, along with the bearing counts on the diff. They all have different part numbers as well. Perhaps TRE or Shep would know for sure if the diffs are interchangeable.

thanks project_tsi.... that's what I was looking to find out. I know the insert ones will fit, I had a BMtranny one before (and I wasnt happy with it). I want to upgrade to a REAL one now. I was hoping the turbo diff was interchangeable, but at least now I know it's not. Quaife makes one for the NT btw.... but as usual it's $1200... more than I can afford. I was hoping more like $850...

IPT is also now selling full diffs for a reasonable price. I would give them a call as well. You can find the ad in the vendors section.

The KAAZ part number is "DBM2010", the problem is that an nt transmission coupled to a turbocharged engine is a timebomb waiting to go off. I've killed 3 of them, 2 which I thought may have been due to bad rebuild's, poor maintenance, or other attributes. Then I did the two following pulls one night which convinced me once and for all that the nt transmission just isn't designed to handle boost.

The video's :

Video #1 is a 2nd - 4th gear pull from about 40mph to around 110 on a 14b pumpgas pull at 20psi. You can hear that the car easily goes from one gear to the other in this film.

Click me for Video #1

Video #2 is less than 5 minutes later the same night. This gear was going to be a 3rd-4th gear pull, but as you can hear the tranny lets go right in the middle of third gear. This actually shredded 75% of the teeth off of the 3rd gearshaft (it's the smallest in the gearbox) and rounded the holy hell out of the other 25%. I was lucky to make it the 2 miles back to my house.

Click me for Video #2

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back