The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Who is going to the Shootout in OCTOBER?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ill be there i have friends coming from my hometown ill be camping with, but ill be in the pits, not sure if my dsm will make it this year on its own power. ill look for you hmu on here and ill look .

I'm hoping to make it, the October date is welcomed by me. I saw one guy mention earlier temps will be in the 30-40's...it's literally the first couple days of October, it's usually beautiful weather. Norwalk and Maryland are really not much difference in longitude and they race in November and no one is complaining, hell we race here in Canada deep into November, weather permitting.

Gas prices are going to be the big decision maker for me, on an normal year it's $400-500 in gas for me, this year will be at least double that with my truck/trailer. I bought an RV this year too and would love to take that but I'd be looking at $1500 in gas at least.

For you whinny bitches last year that complained it was toooo hot. Weather this up coming weekend for when the SO would have usually been scheduled is going to be low 80s high 70s during the days and in the 60s at night. OH MY, LIONS, TIGERS, and BEARS OH my.

If you don't like the weather in OHIO, you wait 5 minuets, you don't rearrange the SO schedule. Would have been perfect! Nice job DAVE and all you Karens.

Not to wake this back up but I’m just gonna put it out there for the non locals worried of the weather. I live 30 minutes directly east of the track, it was 84 when I got home from work at 3pm today, supposed to be in the mid and upper 80s through the weekend, and the shootout starts 2 weeks from today. It’s Ohio, it COULD drop to hoodie weather during the day for that weekend but nothing you’re going to have to bring your winter coat with you over. Average day time temps for this area that weekend are high 60s to low 70s, I think you’ll be fine. Forecasts are always subject to change but just to give you an idea:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Tickets are available now though.

I see how to purchase tickets for crew and racers and for pit parking, but I do not see how to purchase just two days as a spectator. Does anyone know if this is just something you purchase as the ticket counter or something? I have plans for Friday and can only make Saturday and Sunday. I also booked a hotel so I do not need camping in pits but I think it is included with tickets anyway. I am just wanting to make sure I do not show up and am unable to get in somehow. Thanks everyone.

Just go to the gate. The online portion is really useful for racers to get faster entry, otherwise they wait hours in line to get in.

Just go to the gate. The online portion is really useful for racers to get faster entry, otherwise they wait hours in line to get in.
This! Last year was my first year not racing in many, I left Wakeman in time to run home and get my truck and camper thinking I’d have to wait and hopefully get a good spot. Turns out they opened the spectator gate early, no wait to get in, drove right up and paid and backed into a great spot with RV hookup on the spectator side no problem. Honestly wish I would’ve gone to work and came after, was a waste of a perfectly good vacation day for no reason.

Why didn’t Devin bring the red demon?
How was having the event in October vs August?
Seems like the number of dsm’s racing is dwindling down after watching Jafro’s videos. Was it same for spectators?

Last edited:
Why did Devin bring the red demon?
How was having the event in October vs August?
Seems like the number of dsm’s racing is dwindling down after watching Jafro’s videos. Was it same for spectators?
Devin only brought the A90 to race. He was saving the DSM for FL2K this week. I assume the same for Aaron Gregory.

Other than making racers pick an choose between events, I had no issues with the date change. The cool air was nice. (The wind sucked but that was more to do with the hurricane than the date). Spectators seemed low compared to what it used to be in the 2005-2017 range when I was attending. I think many people were standoffish about attending this year and it sounds like many more are already planning for the event next year. 2023 is the 30th year event and I think it will have a great turnout.

I had a great time this year and can't wait to go back next year. if everyone made a point to attend, we would never have to discuss low turnout numbers...

Speaking of attendance; I loved seeing the inland (NLAND) Cali guys there. A large group of them flew out to support the event and that was awesome to see. The few I spoke with were great guys too.

Devin only brought the A90 to race. He was saving the DSM for FL2K this week. I assume the same for Aaron Gregory.

Other than making racers pick an choose between events, I had no issues with the date change. The cool air was nice. (The wind sucked but that was more to do with the hurricane than the date). Spectators seemed low compared to what it used to be in the 2005-2017 range when I was attending. I think many people were standoffish about attending this year and it sounds like many more are already planning for the event next year. 2023 is the 30th year event and I think it will have a great turnout.

I had a great time this year and can't wait to go back next year. if everyone made a point to attend, we would never have to discuss low turnout numbers...

Speaking of attendance; I loved seeing the inland (NLAND) Cali guys there. A large group of them flew out to support the event and that was awesome to see. The few I spoke with were great guys too.

Like I mentioned on FB, it was amazing to finally meet you dude and shake your hand. The drive from CO was brutal but worth every second to see the amazing cars and vendors. I myself was surprised at the turnout, but this was also my first shootout so I am not sure what they are usually like. I did hear numerous people mention that it is indeed to close to FL2K and that people did not want to beak their cars based on 1. They payouts at shootout, 2. Possibly not being able to make FL2K (which has a really large payout).

As far as weather I bet it the cold was strictly due to the remnants from Ian and would not be similar next year (maybe). But I do worry about it being so close to another huge drag race.

I do know that regardless of weather or whatever I WILL be there next year and I hope everyone else comes too. Going to try and bring Luna v2.0 next year too if she in done in time and maybe do the road course. We will see LOL.

To me the turnout, while far from years past, seemed SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year. Possibly less spectators than last year but racer count appeared much greater which is fantastic in my book. I actually enjoyed myself and look forward to getting my car back together for the next one, I’d say not bringing my car and helping out a few friends that brought their cars really brought some of the motivation back for me. Might I add too, the weather situation was a fantastic change. As someone else said the only drawback was making it so some racers had to pick which event with this years date.

I have been to 23 straight SOs.
The weather sucked like I predicted.
The hotels were dead at night like I predicted.
Girls...I think they were there but couldn't tell because every one was buttoned up with scarfs and hats.
Couldn't see any cool T shirts because everyone was wearing a coat.
Winter SO out sucks, brink back the heat. In our personal group that was the sentiments, there were 10 of us, only 1 liked the cool weather.

The event is dying, there is less and less every year. You want stats, on Sunday me and friend made a lap and counted every 1g and 2g. We both ended our count at about 37 for each on the pit side. So if you throw in EVOs you are probably looking at a little over a 100 EVOs, 1gs and 2gs combined, that's nothing compared to what it used to be.

Parking used to be a premium, you could literally park where ever you wanted. My friend showed up to spectate on Sat afternoon in a rental Prius and parked it next to the vendor island and setup a tent right then, you could have never ever done that years ago.

There are just so many normy car, trucks and rigs its deceiving like it's full but it's just non race junk.

Yep, the 30th will be the big she-bang, and that will be it.

Again the Supra guys don't care about us, the GTR guys don't care about us. We are getting real close to it just being another IFO. I mean FFS there was a turbo Ford class....puke. But Dave did that to appease his son since he has one.

I still liked it but it was lacking big time, and no Wakeman is no bueno. It's really is a 1 day event, you can show up on Sunday and still see everything and talk to everyone and not bat an eye. 3 days is waaaaay over kill.

But what do I know, I've got a time share in Norwalk OHIO. ;)

I had fun, but I always have fun, unless I'm breaking parts. Then it's followed by beers and more fun.

Most of the party at the hotels was at Red Roof by my tent area. Pretty chill, I think maybe 100 or so people were by my area.

I want August SO back, October was fricking cold, and was not enjoyable.

Unfortunately, it looks like we need to be happy that the event is even taking place at all. I wonder if the event is profitable enough to where an August date would even be a possibility if enough people requested it? I'd imagine a good way for IDRC to gauge this, if it is a possibility, would be to email all the participants to see what they prefer... my guess is that it's not. The tracks likely charge more for the prime months. Unfortunately, it has to make good business sense, and as the community shrinks, it makes less business sense for big events.

On a side note - I reached out to Buschur to see if he'd be willing to work on a page that tells the story of the Shootout. I bought a domain and am willing to host a site dedicated to the story of the event. My goal would be to preserve the history of the event for our community, and give it a central location for the information to live. I've also reached out to IDRC to see about working with them on it since they now run the event, and we can list future event dates there, and other pertinent info, since FecesBook isn't really a great medium to use for that, and I don't know that the IDRC website is either. I'd host it here on DSMtuners, but I feel like it deserves its own, dedicated home. I'm happy to create the website and host it on my server.

The first and 2nd SO had sub 20 guys, that's how it's gonna end. At some point it's just gonna be 50 of us local mid westerners that show up for a test and tune Saturday and make some passes and then go get drunk....in fact I vote for that!

With out the spectators there is no big cash pay outs. No big payouts the big dogs won't waste their time. There is literally no new products, no new tricks, it's just the same thing over and over the car is 30 years old and anything that can be done.... has been done. And for the record, the spectators were about nil.

Look it was awesome, so was Kathy Ireland, but reality has set in and now she just old.... so is the SO. Ludacris you can't recreate it or hold on, it's just time doing its thing, let it go, don't be that 25 year old still stopping by the frat house for a party!

The first and 2nd SO had sub 20 guys, that's how it's gonna end. At some point it's just gonna be 50 of us local mid westerners that show up for a test and tune Saturday and make some passes and then go get drunk....in fact I vote for that!

With out the spectators there is no big cash pay outs. No big payouts the big dogs won't waste their time. There is literally no new products, no new tricks, it's just the same thing over and over the car is 30 years old and anything that can be done.... has been done. And for the record, the spectators were about nil.

Look it was awesome, so was Kathy Ireland, but reality has set in and now she just old.... so is the SO. Ludacris you can't recreate it or hold on, it's just time doing its thing, let it go, don't be that 25 year old still stopping by the frat house for a party!
It seems as if opening classes for other makes helped this year. The sad reality is the newest dsm is 23 years old, the newest evo 9 is what 16 years old now? It can only stay a 4g powered event so long if they want it to live. Hell take tx2k for example, that was originally a Supra thing and had it not opened to others the event would’ve never grown and likely wouldn’t be around now. I think this year showed that the dsm/evo crowd will always have their place and presence at that event but it can’t be only “our” event if it keeps going, and I’m pretty sure that’s the direction it’s going. As far as the weather goes look at WCF, that event is a whole month later, it works, shoot it’s lightly snowed overnight during that event in the past and it still is huge. I’m open to the changes as if it keeps it around I’d rather have that with some familiar faces from out of state than have only IFO events in the area. We gotta take it as we can get it or it’s gone, and if someone doesn’t enjoy it there’s no harm in simply not going.

I had fun, but I always have fun, unless I'm breaking parts. Then it's followed by beers and more fun.

Most of the party at the hotels was at Red Roof by my tent area. Pretty chill, I think maybe 100 or so people were by my area.

I want August SO back, October was fricking cold, and was not enjoyable.
100% agree, warm is way better than cold, the pools are open when its hot to cool down, when its cold there is no way to enjoy the motels, the camping, the pool or the nightlife in general, also no Wakeman car show and dyno day really really sucked big time, not everyone that attends the event is there to race, I would estimate that around 70% attend just to be around like minded people and show their cars rather than race them, I didnt even bother bringing mine this year for the first time in a long time because of the date and weather, I drive my car to the event every year and dont want to put up with it running like poo on alcohol in 40 degree weather, and dont want to wake up and have to scrape dew and or frost from the car in the morning, from what I heard the late date was not planned, it was due to the track not setting aside the normal August date for the event, the promoters of the event (D Sport magazine/IDRA in essence) had to make a mad scramble to get it to go on at all so big thanks to them for that and we should all support them for supporting our event. That being said, I hope to have an August date back in play in the future. As for people saying that there is no payout, there was around 40k in payout this year! thats not chump change.

Last edited:
It seems as if opening classes for other makes helped this year. The sad reality is the newest dsm is 23 years old, the newest evo 9 is what 16 years old now? It can only stay a 4g powered event so long if they want it to live. Hell take tx2k for example, that was originally a Supra thing and had it not opened to others the event would’ve never grown and likely wouldn’t be around now. I think this year showed that the dsm/evo crowd will always have their place and presence at that event but it can’t be only “our” event if it keeps going, and I’m pretty sure that’s the direction it’s going. As far as the weather goes look at WCF, that event is a whole month later, it works, shoot it’s lightly snowed overnight during that event in the past and it still is huge. I’m open to the changes as if it keeps it around I’d rather have that with some familiar faces from out of state than have only IFO events in the area. We gotta take it as we can get it or it’s gone, and if someone doesn’t enjoy it there’s no harm in simply not going.
They are definitely opening it up to more classes, its the natural progression of things, they would like to turn it into another T2K and that would be fine too, I would prefer to not have the Honda trash types at the event though, so I would prefer that it be a invitational event for some brands, Honda in particular to keep the scum heads out, other than that game on.

They are definitely opening it up to more classes, its the natural progression of things, they would like to turn it into another T2K and that would be fine too, I would prefer to not have the Honda trash types at the event though, so I would prefer that it be a invitational event for some brands, Honda in particular to keep the scum heads out, other than that game on.
Can’t really stereotype though. You have to consider the shootout happens in an area where we happen to have a pretty big Honda following, that crowd is coming out anyway cars or not and they aren’t causing a problem. There’s a reason when you go to an event like WCF there’s Honda’s everywhere and like 3 Mitsubishi powered cars, if you ever see how their “fast” guys operate up close they have their shit together and put in a lot of hard work to be as competitive as they are. I’ve come to learn over the years of doing this we sadly have just as many sketchy people into the 4g powered stuff as anything else, every year I see known shady people from the area walking around at the shootout, not inviting one make or the other isn’t going to make it better or worse. Shoot last summer when there was an incident at Dragway 42 at an IFO event the problem stemmed from people there watching and it resulted in someone who wasn’t part of the altercation (who happened to be there racing his Honda) getting caught in the crossfire and ending up getting shot and killed. As ridiculous as that whole thing was that same crowd shows up at the shootout too no matter what makes are competing, sadly we’re just going to have that because people can’t conduct themselves.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back