The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Who is going to the Shootout in OCTOBER?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomattx

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
wampum, Pennsylvania
What a way to ruin an event, I wonder who's bright idea it is to change the date to October? do the powers that be not realize that many people camp out at this event? and hang out at night all night long? and that some visit Cedar Point that weekend while in the area? and that some use that event as a vacation, including wanting to swim at the pool at the hotel? If thats not bad enough, it runs up against one of the biggest car events in the nation, that event being H2oi in Ocean City that same weekend, I usually do both. How stupid. Not even any warning for those that have already booked rooms for that weekend. I see Norwalk has something called "Ebay" listed that weekend instead, I am guessing that they had that weekend set aside for the Shootout and had to find something to throw in there to fill in the date.

Honestly, I don’t even know what the state of this country much less the world will be in, in August. Much less October. Gas is probably going to be $12 a gallon by that point. Not political, just straight facts. So I in all likelihood won’t be able to afford a 2,000 mile round trip trek in gas price alone.

But I don’t see attendance being very high. I would’ve tried to attend in August, definitely not going to OH in October.

Honestly, I don’t even know what the state of this country much less the world will be in, in August. Much less October. Gas is probably going to be $12 a gallon by that point. Not political, just straight facts. So I in all likelihood won’t be able to afford a 2,000 mile round trip trek in gas price alone.

But I don’t see attendance being very high. I would’ve tried to attend in August, definitely not going to OH in October.
Yeah, who knows what gas will be, other than the election will be coming up soon at that point and I would guess that gas prices will drop for fear of what the ballot box will do to them if the prices dont retreat. As for weather, at that point it can go either way, but there is no denying that for camping its not ideal because it CAN get cold at night that time of year, not only that but school will be back in session in late September early October so that screws things up for families that would normally travel to come to the event.

Fuel prices have been high before, like after hurricane katrina and people including myself still made it to the shootout as well as racing our local tracks all summer.

Fuel prices will only go up from here. The national reserves have been tapped and that has not provided much relief because the demand is so strong while supply remains constrained. Oil companies have little incentive to increase supply because they are recording record profits. There is no solution to this in the near term.

What hurts attendance more is the age of the cars, the age of the owners who have other responsibilities, and the fact that Mitsubishi wants nothing to do with performance anymore.

As for the date, I don’t like summer heat and neither does my car. Fall and winter is turbo weather, so I might make it this year.

Last year (2021) was the hottest Shootout I've ever attended. It was also one of the lowest car counts. Not sure if the two were related or the low car count was still a result of previous Covid shutdown recovery, but they needed to try something different.

I've actually been to a Shootout in October before...in 2007, when the August event was rained-out; we drove out and back in one day just to watch some racing as it's only a 3hr drive for me each way. The move was made for 2022 to combat a few things- competitive racing during one of the hottest months of the year, and hotel prices the last week of summer vacation before many families head back to school. While booking rooms last year it was clear the Holiday Inn which replaced the old Super 8 in Milan wasn't targeting working-class racers with their pricing.

They're also at the mercy of the track's schedule. Demanding an entire weekend during the summer can be difficult if you want to move your event a week or two later for some reason, so it's quite possible the October date was simply the first available choice.

Unless you run a methanol car, the august dates were difficult to make power in. That racetrack also doesn’t have many shady areas and is brutal. Sitting in a car, in the sun with a fire jacket and helmet on and the car in front oils down the track is no fun. I think October will be great for a lot of reasons.

Bonus if we can save a couple hundred on lodging. Makes the weekend more affordable!

I'm ok with an october event only because I'm so slammed with jobs here that people need by Shootout that it gives me a few extra weeks to get stuff done LOL!

I'll be there either way, and look for me grilling out for everyone in the Red Roof Inn parking lot like normal with my party tent setup.

I will be attending my first shootout ever, not sure if I'll be bringing the car. But I'll be living in Ohio, so I have no excuse, my drive will only be around 4 hours with stops.

I'll be there

Im stopping by.

Yes paul ill be at the track camping with friends they have a rv and well have tents, but i hoping to bring my car this year well see.

it was posted like 6mo ago about the new dates. I'm torn on it. I welcome the cooler weather, but will miss the familiarity of the old dates, but much of the old shootout is gone now anyway. Biggest thing for me is I run a pumpkin patch, and shootout weekend is right in the middle of my busy season.

Because of large group of whinny pu$$ies Dave moved the event from Aug to Oct because a bunch of Karen's complained it was hot...yeah, so what, it's August, deal with it. I have been to plenty of SO that was equally just as hot. This is why this country is failing, too many weak a$$ men!

The SO is dead and this will kill it. As the OP stated half of the event is outside at night camping, partying, etc, that will all be gone as temps in Northern OHIO in Oct at night will be in the high 30's low 40s.

The cars (DSMs) are getting old, there are fewer and fewer, Dave basically is turning this into a free for all IFO event....except that we already have those. And that was tried once before and that was ultimately canceled.

The Shootout started with 30 people and it will end with 30 people. The fall is the absolute worst time for American's to vacation, school's back in, outside events (football/socecer), crops to tend to, etc.

I'm still going, but I know this is the end. It was dying before COIVD and this will smash what was left. It was fun while it lasted though. Oh and track scheduling was not an issue what so ever.

Because of large group of whinny pu$$ies Dave moved the event from Aug to Oct because a bunch of Karen's complained it was hot...yeah, so what, it's August, deal with it. I have been to plenty of SO that was equally just as hot. This is why this country is failing, too many weak a$$ men!

The SO is dead and this will kill it. As the OP stated half of the event is outside at night camping, partying, etc, that will all be gone as temps in Northern OHIO in Oct at night will be in the high 30's low 40s.
Karen complained it was cold ...yeah, so what, it's october, deal with it. I have been to plenty of races that was equally just as cold. This is why this country is failing, too many weak a$$ men!

Karen complained it was cold ...yeah, so what, it's october, deal with it. I have been to plenty of races that was equally just as cold. This is why this country is failing, too many weak a$$ men!
Correct.

To add, the imports vs domestic race is in November, I’ve been there when the temps were below freezing. Great racing and great camaraderie. The event has only grown over the years. The shootout thinning out has nothing to do with any other factors other than it is a dying platform.

If the Shoot Out is really ending it might be worth my plane ticket to go see it. It'd be nice to go on a trip and see badass rides and maybe have a beer at the end of the day. It'll be a once in a lifetime experience for me. Always hate to see the ending popularity of older cars. Old habits die hard though.

I’ll be there. It’ll be at the very beginning of Oct. Maybe I’m naive but will there be 6 inches of snow on the ground or something? I wouldn’t think it’d be THAT cold. Anyway camping should be nice and not being cooked alive in the bleachers is a plus.

Last edited:
North Canton is more than 40 minutes away, I can assure you of that.
Alright fair ... 2hrs whatever it is. Not concerned. Id drive my car to California tomorrow with no fear.

Its still a lot closer than when I lived in Texas and Mississippi for sure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back