The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Who here has filled their own blocks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juvi1624

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 24, 2009
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Hey guys, I'm planning on ordering up some stuf to try and get my engine back together soon, and am planning on doing a filled block with HardBlok, as that is what it seems most of the muscle car guys are running as well as some DSM'ers(including Shep from what I've read). Since this is the first one I've done and this stuff isn't exactly cheap, nor is a new block if I mess it up, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips to make it go as easy as possible. I know they say to have the main caps torqued and a torque plate(which I have from previous engine builds) installed while it sets. one guy(with 2 1000+ 4g's) told me to fill it to about 1 inch below the deck, is this what most people do? I've seen pics of some filled blocks on the net that appear to be filled to the very top, so should I fill it up to the very top? If I fill it up to the very top, what happens if I need to get the block decked? Will the machine shop's machine be able to deck cement? Should I fill it before or after the machine work? Any thing else I should consider? Thanks.

I was throwing around the idea of a half fill, but this is a very good question. Never really bothered to consider the processed involved. I'll look forward to seeing the answers. From what I remember however it is pretty straight forward.

Fill it before the machine work and torque the mains in place. Performing the machine work after filling the block eliminates the need to use a torque plate while filling.

Short fill is sufficient to increase strength and still gives you a big enough water jacket to pull heat from around the cylinders. This involves filling the block up to the bottom of the water pump "port" in the front of the block. This will also let you retain the stock water pump configuration.

A whole fill would be filling the entire water jacket. You'll need to replumb the head and use an external water pump. This involves welding fittings to the head and running external lines to circulate the water.

Tricks? Make sure the block is level. The fill has to be mixed just right in order for it to flow into all of the passages. Too dry and you'll have places that aren't filled. Too wet and it will never set. It's also tricky getting all of the bubbles and air out. My advice is to have someone do it for you that's done it before or at least have someone there with you that's done it before. May want to have the shop that will be doing your machine work take care of it for you. Any shop that specializes in performance engine building should be able to do it no problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back