The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Who has installed a 16g on a 1G?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91TSI505

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2003
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
I am just about to install my new big 16g and other stuff and need to get some last minute advice.........Here is a list of the things i will be installing:
-Ported big 16g
-Ported Evo exhaust manifold
-New o2 housing with ext dump
-SS oil feed line
-New gaskets
-New oil,plugs,coolant,o2 sensor
Walbro 255 already installed....
Some questions:
-Should i use RTV on the gaskets?
-Which part(s) should i install first,or should i bolt the manifold,turbo,and o2 housing together first.
-What should i expect as soon as i start the car,will it run weird,smoke?
Let me hear everyone's expirences
:thumb:

No need to use RTV. Yes, you could bolt everything together first, but don't forget to bolt on the rear water line to turbo before mounting the manifold/setup to the head. Expect some smoke on startup from oil and grime on your manifold. Car should run fine unless you have a boost/exhaust leak. Make sure you torque everything to spec.

torque everything to spec.... hmmm.... forgot to do that LOL. but whatever it runs fine, i have to do a leak test, but i am tooo lazy to build one of those things. but as for what to do... have patience.. lots of it! and make sure you put the right size washers around the bolt when you put it back on :p learn from my mistake... but then again i am so lazy.

exhuat mani studs?? be prepared for them to break if they're high milage...

unless you already got the old mani off..... then just don't over torque them

Drop the downpipe off the car and remove the radiator after draining it. Then you can remove the turbo, manifold, and O2 housing as one unit after everything is removed off them. Then you can bolt everything together and install it as one. There is no need to RTV any of the gaskets except possibly the O2 housing to DP gasket because I kept blowing mine until I used RTV. You may want to break the bolts loose from the manifold to turbo with it still on the car because it can be tricky to do with everything off. Spray all the bolts with PB Blaster the night before and maybe have a couple manifold studs nearby just in case.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back