The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Who Has Bushed Their Rods? and done full floating pistons? rod bushings etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freerevving

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 12, 2008
Houston, Texas
I would like to hear from anyone who has bushed their connecting rods, or otherwise made their pistons fully-floating.

I passed up on it this go around.. I figured the gains weren't worth the money

Please express your opinions and experience on the subject

--Mac

No need to bush the rod. Hone the rod end .001" larger then the pin and drill 1/16" oil hole.

That's exactly what I almost did, but with two smaller holes... a lot of people said that the bushing is necessary for longevity, and unless it was a race engine that I shouldn't do it without the bushing... so I didn't do it at all

So are your wrist pins floating?
how long have you had it?
what kind of gains are there supposed to be?

thanks

I run stock rods in both the 2.3 and the 2.4. The rods where balanced, converted to floating pins, ARP rod bolts, shoot peaned, and polished. I'm not sure of any gains going with a floating pin aside from being able to install and un-install your pistons. Maybe someone with more engine knowledge will chime in.

I was told the benefit is supposedly HP and high-HP applications... I can see how it reduces stress to the rest of the engine... but the bad thing about no bushings is the wrist pins could get scratched

Everyone said I'd be fine with no bushings... although the same people said just press them in to be safe. Hmmm not too late to disassemble

plus I'd like to get them shotpeened hmm

God I hate hijacking this thread but what is bushing a rod and what are full floating pistons. Both terms I've heard of but never was able to find much info on.

God I hate hijacking this thread but what is bushing a rod and what are full floating pistons. Both terms I've heard of but never was able to find much info on.

Our wrist pins are pressed in the rods from the factory, but floating on oil where the piston rides... fully floating is where the wrist pin is floating on the rod, and the piston is floating on the wrist pin. Usually, a connecting rod made for floating wrist pins will have a bushing in the hole for the wrist pin... the "correct" way to modify your connecting rods is to install a bushing

My rod's usually not bushed :)

sorry I had to :D

Hmmm I don't get it... ??? ... LOL I don't want to know LOL

Thanks for the explanation!

I guess this should reduce friction then, eh?

Thanks for the explanation!

I guess this should reduce friction then, eh?

I'm really not sure what it does exactly. So far I've been going on hearsay. Several people answered me with "horsepower".

... my only guess is that it reduces stress on the piston skirts and connecting rods... taking what would have been shock and using it as power to spin the crankshaft. I can only imagine that it's a small amount of added power, and I assume the other major benefit is longevity.

I see that this thread is over 2 years old, but graveyard motorsports is offering this service for stock connecting rods. Anyone else care to chime in with whether using a bushing is needed or not?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back