The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

who has a dsm toolbox and whats in it

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechanix565

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2009
Pawtucket, Rhode_Island
sooo after having a few situations with my wonderful car ive decided to create a travel bag of sorts with the tools ive found are neccasary to carry with you whenever you feel like you want to drive your car and i figured id share it with you as well as practical uses for each tool

Phillips + Flat head screwdriver (for removing the fuel return line to see if you have run out of fuel even though your gas gauge says 1/8th tank)

8,10,12,14,17 3/8 drive sockets + Long ratchet w/ multiple length extensions
(8mm for tightening misc hose clamps that are leaking, 10mm for tightening valve cover bolts or anything else a 1 is just good to have, 12mm for tightening all of your exhaust studs that like to rattle themselves loose,14mm (now this one is very important this ones good for all of your bellhousing bolts that come loose and make your clutch feel all messed up and for the starter bolts that loosen up and make you have to push start your car when you come out of sears and its pouring rain, 17 i personally havnt had to use yet but all the suspension bolts in the front end are 17's so ill need it at some point and so might you)

12mm Wrench (for adjusting your clutch)

vice grips (dont leave home without them)

hammer (when all else fails)

Cutting pliers and wire strippers

Zip Ties, Electrical tape

-Spare parts-
ECU, Spare power transistor, spare coil pack (for when one of the above fails and leaves you stuck running on 2 cylinders waiting for AAA)

if anyone else has anything to add please chime in these are just my past dsm expiriences

ADD:Jumper Cables, Jumper wires w/ Alligator clips LOL Thanks iaintmaci

I pretty much keep all of my tools in the back of my car. I definitely keep my jumper cables in mine. Don't forget one or two sections of wire with alligator clips. Never know when you might need them.

Basically, if I have ever used it on my car, it is in my bag. The bag rarely leaves the hatch of my car.

I just take everything if I go on a long trip. If I'm in the local area though, I don't bother.

But wait, I don't own a DSM anymore, but it's still the same story as it's a VR4. LOL

I don't keep any tools in my car. Do work right the first time, with quality parts and you should have next to nothing to worry about.. I wonder why these cars get a bad reputation......:confused:

Ummm, because theyre 20 yo cars with 20 yo parts? Maybe? Lol. Dont know about you, but im not buying new coils, transistors, etc. til they break.

Ummm, because theyre 20 yo cars with 20 yo parts? Maybe? Lol. Dont know about you, but im not buying new coils, transistors, etc. til they break.

No, it's because the majority of the people with these cars are cheap asses, who put performance WAY before maintenance. As long as you treat the car with respect and take care of the items that need to be taken care of they can last quite a long time. My neighbors 90 AWD has over 320k, and it's still running and driving. Some failures are inevitable, but carrying around $100 worth of tools is nonsensical.

But carrying around ECU's, coils, and transistors?WTF

Btw, in no way is this an attack against the OP, just a general observation of a majority of the community as a whole.

Oh i know LOL. No way am i carrying ALL that unless im driving over 100 miles. But like most 20 yo cars, parts do fail, especially wiring in my experience with mine LOL. So keeping a small toolbag with a couple screwdrivers and a 8,10,12, and 14 mm socketset is purely insurance. Charge pipes pop off occasionally ;) LOL

I take two tool sets with me :p

They include two ratchet sets (metric and standard), every size wrench, extender, spark plug sockets, screwdrivers both long and short, pliers and vice grips, spark plug gap tool, and jumper wires.

All I need is a portable jack and a lug wrench to complete the set. There is always something that happens that requires a tool.

I keep a small toolbox and socket set in the car with me, not a great deal, but basic hand tools.

For spare parts, I always keep a set of plugs (mainly for track days), and always keep a spare alternator too.

I don't keep any tools in my car. Do work right the first time, with quality parts and you should have next to nothing to worry about.. I wonder why these cars get a bad reputation......:confused:

No offense, but this attitude is ridiculous. Using quality parts and making sure that you do work correctly is going to make a difference, but it does not make your vehicle impervious to failures.

I do the same as you, I don't cheap out on shit, the only way I go cheap is when I can find the exact same part at a cheaper price at a different place.

The fact of the matter is that cars break down, eventually. And I would rather be prepared than not, so any time I go on a trip, no matter what car, I bring my tools. Except for my '12 Camry, cause it has roadside assistance.

+1

My first 2 DSM drivers were sketchy,, but this one is (.)(.)

No offense, but this attitude is ridiculous. Using quality parts and making sure that you do work correctly is going to make a difference, but it does not make your vehicle impervious to failures.

I do the same as you, I don't cheap out on shit, the only way I go cheap is when I can find the exact same part at a cheaper price at a different place.

The fact of the matter is that cars break down, eventually. And I would rather be prepared than not, so any time I go on a trip, no matter what car, I bring my tools. Except for my '12 Camry, cause it has roadside assistance.

As I said.. "Some failures are inevitable, but carrying around $100 worth of tools is nonsensical."

The inevitable is bound to happen, but most times the parts in or on these cars have been replaced at one time or another before you ever even touched it, by previous owners. Often times these parts are replaced with cheap aftermarket parts that significantly increase the chances of the car leaving you sit on the side of the road. Replacing parts with quality OEM, or quality aftermarket parts will drastically reduce the chances of leaving you sit. I plan to attend the shootout this year, which is a 850+mi round trip for me, and I will not be bringing any tools with me, I have enough confidence in my car, the parts I've installed, and the quality of work I perform.

That's the point I was trying to make.:thumb:

Vice grips, full socket set, ratcheting wrenches, and a few miscellaneous bolts. I also have a flask in there for those times when she just has your cursing mad.

As I said.. "Some failures are inevitable, but carrying around $100 worth of tools is nonsensical."

The inevitable is bound to happen, but most times the parts in or on these cars have been replaced at one time or another before you ever even touched it, by previous owners. Often times these parts are replaced with cheap aftermarket parts that significantly increase the chances of the car leaving you sit on the side of the road. Replacing parts with quality OEM, or quality aftermarket parts will drastically reduce the chances of leaving you sit. I plan to attend the shootout this year, which is a 850+mi round trip for me, and I will not be bringing any tools with me, I have enough confidence in my car, the parts I've installed, and the quality of work I perform.

I have complete confidence that I could make the trip in my vehicle as well, but still........

Ever hear the saying among motorcylce riders, "Don't dress for the ride, dress for the crash". My thoughts are along those lines.

Not bashing you, or anything.. But What happens if what could happen, will happen? hahaha, you could hit a pothole, and SOMETHING suspension, or mechanical or anything gives..

Then you my friend, will be bugging us at the shootout for tools =P But anyway, ill be more than happy to let you borrow some!

The furthest my car goes is to the shootout, which is 3 hours one way and i carry various sockets, and wrenches and a jack and tire iron =) just in case.

so your telling me you've never had an intercooler coupler fail or any wiring issue in your 20+ year old wiring harness even with quality parts when you buy one of these cars and begin rehabbing it parts fail id rather have my tools with me then pay 75 to get it towed home because I cant put my pipe back on and my maf wont let the car idle..... all because I didn't bring that 11mm socket hmmmmm

everything I keep with me fits in a small shoe box sized case next to my battery box under the spare tire cover id rather have it then not. I don't keep the ecu with me anymore just did for a little while after I replaced a few things in case it acted up but as of late we have had 0 issues. btw when I got my car I did everything brand new and brand name (timing belt, water pump, tensioner, TOB blah blah) maintenance is always first but parts still break

so your telling me you've never had an intercooler coupler fail or any wiring issue in your 20+ year old wiring harness

Honestly, no. The only problem I've ever had with a DSM, all of which have been 91's with higher mileage are as follows:

Snapped timing belt, not drivable (Not something you fix on the side of the road)
Blown 14b, still drivable
Transistor, still drivable
Clutch, still drivable

Other than that I've never had a problem. Call it luck I suppose, but I've never had a coupler blow off, or anything else fail. Every oil change I take the time to go over my car as best as I can to make sure the little things don't let me sit. I carry a lug wrench in case of a flat, but other than that I have nothing else. I also have AAA, it's good for a lot more than just the towing service (of which I have never used, but have used for freinds).

This isn't really a topic worth pissing over, I was merely trying to say if you take care of your car, you don't have to bring half of your tool box and all of your spare parts along with on every trip.:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back