The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Who actually does something with their DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telly699

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 8, 2003
Chicago -Wrigleyville, Illinois
I am trying very hard to define my goals as I go about modding, and I am not quite sure where to take it. As we all know, for the typical tuner, their car is a money pit that simply exist to fulfill the owners fragile emotional needs. :shhh:

So who on this board has crossed the line and actually made money back on their hard work? In any fashion... shows, racing, sponsors, whatever. I am NOT talking about making back all the money you spent. No turning a profit here, just like you made $100 here or there. Got a trophy, money, pix in a mag, etc... Recognition.

And how many of you participate in local racing of some kind? Actual competitions. I guess I want to know if it is worth modding with the rulebook in mind so I can join some competition some time in the future. Or if I am wasting my time. I am not looking to turn a profit or start a pro team,... bwahaha! pro.... its still just for fun. It sounds shallow I know, but it would be cool to have something for all my work besides the unlimited personal joy and something to do on Sundays. Any thoughts?

i've made plenty of money in car shows... the way i see it there not THAT much money in racing, cuz people who race throw all their money in the car and they are broke LOL show car people always got money.... LOL

i never made any money, but i race autocross events around here often :thumb:

also dragging, but thats not as fun and my car isnt a big deal next to people running 9s all day, autocross is more skill than money invested

BabyBlue_pimp said:
i've made plenty of money in car shows... the way i see it there not THAT much money in racing, cuz people who race throw all their money in the car and they are broke LOL show car people always got money.... LOL

People who race throw there money into making there car fast and fixing stuff when it breaks.

People that show there cars put there money into looks. If you are making money at Car Shows, then you must have alot of money put in to compete with what's out there. Then you need to keep changing things around, adding to the looks, making it custom doesn't come cheap. You can't do you car up and then expect to leave it like that and continue to win shows. You have to switch it up. You also need to do speed mods to your car. It gets you more points when you could have your hood popped and show off more than just tv's/dvd's speakers, and seat covers.

So I don't see how people that show there cars would have more money than people that race their car. Aren't they both dropping money in the car???

xBOOSTx said:
People who race throw there money into making there car fast and fixing stuff when it breaks.

People that show there cars put there money into looks. If you are making money at Car Shows, then you must have alot of money put in to compete with what's out there. Then you need to keep changing things around, adding to the looks, making it custom doesn't come cheap. You can't do you car up and then expect to leave it like that and continue to win shows. You have to switch it up. You also need to do speed mods to your car. It gets you more points when you could have your hood popped and show off more than just tv's/dvd's speakers, and seat covers.

So I don't see how people that show there cars would have more money than people that race their car. Aren't they both dropping money in the car???

The way i see it, mod your car for the love of it, not for the cash of it... and i mess up when i said that i really ment to say, that in a sarcastic way... i go to a few shows locally win alot... not the heavy heavy ricer ones though LOL, my cars to clean for all that LOL no stickers n stuff LOL. but yeah you dont have a baby to get cheaper tax... you have one for love...

I got the love. Plenty of love to go around here...

I make the car fast for me, and I make it look good for me. Thats why I bought a dsm in the first place. Anyway I doubt that shows are for me....

No one on here is racing even in some amature series? I dont believe it. Local autocross? Burn out contest? Anything? I take my car to the strip to compete with my previous times, but it would be cool to aspire to something more.

I won $100 at the Import Showdown in 2003 for fastest street DSM.

Also won 2 trophies for fastest import at Brainerd Optimist (outside Chattanooga, TN).

Drive it everyday. Drag it every once in awhile and try at the bracket racing for some money. Run at local auto x events to learn how to drive. :dsm:

I'd like to see someone professionally drift a DSM. With a custom LSD, stronger rear, and enough power it might be possible. Rhys use to drift an EVO, im sure with enough cash someone could pull it off.

I've got a lot of dust collectors AKA trophies, respect, and I've got some money out of it. Sponsors, but few. Lots of haters. Most people like it b/c it's clean. I get accused of having a trailer bi*** at all the local shows, and yet to own a trailer or anything to pull 1 with. :| I'm pretty well known around NC in the show scene, and my car should be on a DVD that will hit the shelves soon. You can catch the preview to the 1st 1 they release at Blur2ed.com. My car is said to be on the 2nd. They were gonna get more footage at NOPI, but the threat of heavy floods is making me think that there is only like a 5% chance of my car getting there. :cry:

Just do your thing, don't half ass stuff, and do it for you. Not the judges, not b/c the haters didn't like the way you'd really do it. Do it how you want. Respect will come if it's done right. I hope to be in a magazine in 05. The interior should be fully done, the car goes back to the bodyshop soon to get a few additions, then who knows? I still wanna targa top it, but I'm in a strong debate with the extra weight with my weak little auto NT. :thumbdown

i speak for the most of the people who do shit to their cars. we dont do it for the money, we do it for the fun of it. its a hobby and an addiction. its pure joy to see the face of the other driver who got spanked, but its also the feeling you get when you have completed a new mod to your car and look back and realize all the blood, sweat and tears was worth it.

at least thats how i look at it. i dont do any mods to impress anybody but me. compliments are cool and all, but theyre just par for the course. its the feeling i get when i drive it and see it becoming something totally different from any other car thats out there. just being its own design, its own entity. its no longer a hunk of metal to get you from point A to point B, its a living, breathing animal. it has moods. it has needs.

its what being a tuner is all about.

its a addiction. dad brought me up on cars and to take care of them. if i wanted to make money then cars would of been the last thing i would of chose. my day is spent just thinking about driving. just getting on a freeway and just going. i do all out of love and for the compliments i get. knowing that my hard work went into this. all about personal satisfaction for me. and to keep on beating my brothers car.

Thomas91169 said:
i speak for the most of the people who do shit to their cars. we dont do it for the money, we do it for the fun of it. its a hobby and an addiction. its pure joy to see the face of the other driver who got spanked, but its also the feeling you get when you have completed a new mod to your car and look back and realize all the blood, sweat and tears was worth it.

at least thats how i look at it. i dont do any mods to impress anybody but me. compliments are cool and all, but theyre just par for the course. its the feeling i get when i drive it and see it becoming something totally different from any other car thats out there. just being its own design, its own entity. its no longer a hunk of metal to get you from point A to point B, its a living, breathing animal. it has moods. it has needs.

its what being a tuner is all about.
That was so beautful :cry:

So we have a few people doing shows, some small bracket racing and thats it?

( ...and I think you CAN still build you car for you, and the love of doing it, but still make some money at the races. Quit being anti-social and get your car out there. )

telly699 said:
So we have a few people doing shows, some small bracket racing and thats it?

( ...and I think you CAN still build you car for you, and the love of doing it, but still make some money at the races. Quit being anti-social and get your car out there. )

i do autocross

I do some local autoX once in a while, do open track days, drive windy roads on occasion, do drag stip test n' tune days, and put plenty of time into wrenching on things.

I'm more of a "driving enthusiast". Not much into the carshow scene - can't stand the HIN stuff, and tend to have an admiration for those who build their cars up to "drive" them.

my car already is a good handler so i havent' done too much to the suspension...yet. lately i've mostly been drag racing. but i have started to get back into autocross. i would like to eventually go back to open track like i did with my mustang. the nearest place is about 2hrs away and i would like my suspension, roll cage and slicks before i go out and tap 140mph. i already have 'upgraded' my brakes

you never make money off a car unless its 10 or more years running.....No l it erally....no matter how many car shows you go to, you still have to get paid for the car you bought, the mods youve done and the work thats gone on......too muhc to make back on car shows......then you have to worry about upkeep

Full race or full show cars become more fun than work. I've been in many HIN shows and it's only the guys that have $100K cars than win very much money. Jay Laub has $120K in his RX7 and the most I've seen him win at a HIN show was $3K. Also, he has to constantly change his car's appearance to stay winning. It's a money pit and it doesn't pay off for him. It's for the love and fame.

As far as racing goes, it's a money pit also. And sponsers dont roll in unless you're running single digits for a year or two. Neither are going to "pay off" unless you and your car become the best of the best at whatever it is. Only the fastest racers and the most extravagant show car owners are going to win enough to brag about.

Most people do things with their cars, but dont make money. They do it for the love of cars and for a hobby. (my anti-drug, LOL) You could try to go PRO with your DSM, but it will become more like work than fun. :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back