The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

white smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azkikr10

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2003
Union City, California
my car is a slitly moded 90 tsi. my car lately has been producing thick clouds of white smoke every so often. it happens about 1 time every few weeks for around 1 minute in time. i had a leaky valve cover that i just replaced and i was wondering if it was excess oil that has built up on pipes or something like that. it has been doing this even before i replaced the valve cover so any advise on how to fix this would be a big help. i noticed it happens usually when im idle for a while such as waiting for someone for in a drive through. thanks for your help in advance

Sounds like your valve seals are in need of replacement. When the valve seals go bad they allow oil to seep down into the combustion chambers and when you give it gas to move the oil burns off and results in the cloud of smoke you leave behind after idling for awhile.

Hope that helps
Steve

When oil burns, it makes a blue/black smoke.

Your WHITE smoke problem is caused by anti-freeze or engine coolant.

You probably have an internal engine coolant leak, which is very bad. Check to see if your coolant level is going down ever so slightly, then you could be sure.

If the white smoke is coming out of your exhuast, it means its coming from your engine. So what the problem usually is is that there is a small side-wall leak somewhere in your block. You will need to do a pressure test to find the spot and you should fluch (quik flush or power) your cooling system.

Sometimes if you catch it early the spot can fix itself when it gets flushed and stuff with all the crap they ut in there.

Thats probably the problem, but it could really be anything. Sometimes white smoke comes out for different reasons.

Anyways, here are symtoms=reasons:

-Black Smoke = To much fuel burning (or many other causes)
-White Smoke = Antifreeze burning (Coolant)
-Blue-ish Smoke = Oil burning

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back