The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G White smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victors_97dsm

Supporting Member
Aug 28, 2010
sierra vista, Arizona
I was told by a few trusted people that the smoke is a result of a leaky valve. So it will cost me about $1100 for valve job to factory specs (sooner before I cause more damage to car) The mechanic also said no need to replace valves just thouroughly cleaned out after 19 years of carbon build up. So, can I upgrade the cams to street/strip (stage2-BC cams) with stock springs/retainers and valves or the crower cams stage 1? Mind you, my GSX has over 147k mile and this will be the 1st time the engine will be cracked open? It still has the original T-25 with upgraded adjustable cams gears, upper i/c pipe, fmic, megan racing coil overs with upgraded slotted rotors and pads plus balanced and blue printed stock fuel injectors
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Replaced old 15W30 for 15W50 and at that time burned out all oil in cylinder chamber. Meow its time to change our old exhaust manifold gasket for a new one? What you all think?

I already told you what to look for. Your valve stem seals are blown

I already told you what to look for. Your valve stem seals are blown
For sure...but trying to rule out everything else before I fork up $1200(minimum) to have the seals replaced and hoping nothing else is found. And if not, then have the whole valvetrain replaced

For sure...but trying to rule out everything else before I fork up $1200(minimum) to have the seals replaced and hoping nothing else is found. And if not, then have the whole valvetrain replaced
It's not that difficult, at $1200 you're being charged retail. You should seriously consider joining the elpaso area Facebook group, there are several members on here that would really be grateful to get $1200 for 8 hours of work

The head does not need to come off of the block to do the work. Upgrading the valve train makes no sense on a stock T25 car. Refreshing the head isn't going to make more horsepower but I can understand why you want to be thorough

The $1200 job includes removing head and taking it to local machine shop to see if there are any other issues. Last night I swapped out old exhaust manifold gasket just need to torque them down and take it for a test drive. There was a lot of carbon buildup in the head runners. So I scraped some of the carbon out and vacuum out the runners for loose particles. I no longer have a FB account and when I did, I was a member of the AZ group. I do have 2 friends in El Paso who also own 4g63 talons who I talk to about my car shenanigans

I was told by a few trusted people that the smoke is a result of a leaky valve. So it will cost me about $1100 for valve job to factory specs (sooner before I cause more damage to car) The mechanic also said no need to replace valves just thouroughly cleaned out after 19 years of carbon build up. So, can I upgrade the cams to street/strip (stage2-BC cams) with stock springs/retainers and valves or the crower cams stage 1? Mind you, my GSX has over 147k mile and this will be the 1st time the engine will be cracked open? It still has the original T-25 with upgraded adjustable cams gears, upper i/c pipe, fmic, megan racing coil overs with upgraded slotted rotors and pads plus balanced and blue printed stock fuel injectors
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

White smoke no more, after a heavier oil 15W50 mobile 1 and oil treatment. New DP gasket, exhaust manifold studs. Eventually I will need new rings (if it smokes again) but for now I'm happy

White smoke no more, after a heavier oil 15W50 mobile 1 and oil treatment. New DP gasket, exhaust manifold studs. Eventually I will need new rings (if it smokes again) but for now I'm happy

Naw if your seals are bad the relief will only be temporary. Once the oil temps really get hot from normal driving you'll see the smoke again

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back