The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

White Smoke???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverJester

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2002
IN
first off the car is a 95 TSi AWD that is blowing whiet smoke but not at idle. If I rev it a little smoke will come out, but a few seconds later it smokes pretty bad but not for long.....well the longer a rev it the more it smokes. by friend drov behind me and said it smoked during accleration but not while I was costing or while I was at a steady speed. I have been doing some research and the main thing that seems to pop up is a blown head gasket. The turbo is pretty new.....2 years old maybe (t25). The car has few mods (turbo back, no cat, intake, UPIC, 1st gen bov, just changed sparks and ignition wires). So what do you think it is.....if it is a blown head gasket how much will parts and labor cost? I also hear people sayig they should change some other parts while chaning head gasket......what other things should I change if it is a blown head gasket? oh and how much do compression test usally cost?

Depending upon how bad of a HG you would definetly realize a lack in performace... check your basics: Coolant level, oil condition & level- see if it smells like coolant or if it resembles choc milk (def. signs of HG leak :thumbdown ). However when my T25 crapped out it had the same signs, but it still ran good which was a dead giveaway that the HG wasn't broke. Good luck man reply back with what you find :thumb:
~Johnny

Hey how dangerous is it to drive with a bad head gasket??? Not sure if this is the problem yet but if it's not dangerous I might drive it around somemore to see if I notice any power loss. Also with either the head gasket or the turbo going out do either of them puff smoke out during idle or only during acceleration? I really hope it's the turbo acctualy (although I doubt it) because that means I get to upgrade......Is there anyway to check and see if it's the turbo?

Its not good really to be driving around like that, i mean you can its your choice but theres ways of testing it to see if its bad: Comp test- $20 gauge at your local Pep Boys and takes less than a 1/2 hour to do it, and like i said before check your oil level and codition same with the coolant, if your saying white smoke and not blueish its prolly coolant your burning, which in extreme HG leaks would make the car actually overheat, but do yourself a favor check all that first before doing all your daily driving. ;)
~Johnny

Drain out your oil and see if it has coolant/water mixed in it and if it smells sweet. if so you need a HG my friend. But do a compression test to know for sure. Its okay to drive, but the car might overheat so watch the temp gauge and dont run it too hard. Good luck!

Well I didn't drive the car today but I did do a compression check.....According to vfaq it';s suppose to be at 178psi...I got 180psi in cylinders 1 and 3 and 185psi in 2 and 4. I also noticed to day that there is a lot of water coming of of the exhuast.....I mean I know that water is a normal by product but this is a lot, more than usal. Also I don't know if this has anything to do with it but it has been pretty hot and humid the past week. Also when I took the spark plugs off they look pretty burnt considering I just changed them like a month and half ago. Any one else had similar problems?

Well I never got black smoke puffs before (unless I was reving it hard....like say during a race), but I decided to take it somewhere a friend recommended....the guy's only charging 12 bucks to diagnose the problem. I don't think it's the headgasket or the rings because the compression came back good, so that leaves to possibilities from what I understand 1) it's the valve stem seals or 2) it's the turbo going out. I'm kinda thinking it might be the turbo because if it were the valve stem seals it would be most likely leaking oil as well making the smoke blueish. I guess I'll find out on friday (earliest appointment) but in the mean time I have been looking at turbo upgrade possibilites (why repair when I can upgrade?) and I think I'm leaning towards a 20g.....possibly like the eliminator from turbochargers.com.....$750 (with core) for a bolt on 20g, sounds good to me. I'll let you guys know what happenes after I find out what is wrong with it.

:dsm: Alex :talon:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back