The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

White Smoke??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaToUt-GST

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2002
jarrettsville_MD
I did a leak test on my intake…figured out I need a new PCV. When I went to drive my car today it blew out A LOT of white smoke on boost. My tip was filled with water droplets, so I think the “smoke” was actually steam, smelled like it too. Any idea where all the water came from (if it is water) I put everything back together correctly, and double checked...i just have no idea. I know tht when air decompresses the moisture in it will condense...but why would tht happen? Thanks for any ideas!

:confused: ...hate to say it, but whats a leakdown test? I'm still pretty new to modding a car, so im not very familliar with symptoms and diagnostics. Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the links! The thing i really dont get is that i was driving the car earlier before i did the boost test and it was fine...only after doing the test did it blow smoke. I can't see how i blew a HG only building 6-7 psi during the test, or anyhting else for that matter. it only smokes when the turbo spools...maybe something got into the compressor during the test? I hope to have my friend who works at a shop check it out tommorow.:cry: ahh i hate it when i have to spend mod money on repairs!

Thats probably my best bet right now, i almost crapped when i saw the smoke though...just pulled back into drive way and popped the hood...everything sounds fine, no smoke at idle...just when turbo spools. I'll try driving it tommorow and see if i get any power loss or anything.

I have the same problem...right after doing the pressure test also. Except i have oil leaking out of the turbo and white smoke coming out the tailpipe. I'm guessing a leak in the head gasket and a blowned seal in the turbo. Will be taking the head apart to inspect.

Well i drove the car today and it only smoked twice at first (on boost) then stopped completely. I only have boost set at 12-13 psi right now and the turbo sounds really strange. Instead of the normal whistle type sound its more like air blowing..pshhhhhhhhh, along with the whine sound. Maybe its the wastegate opening sooner than im used to at 15 psi? Not too big a deal cuz im gettin a 16g soon...but i was kinda hopin to get a few bucks for my stocker.

Rasp- what the heck do you think we did? i cant see how a pressure test could hurt anything...and im pretty sure my PCV was dead be4 the test anyway...hmm

I've heard this problem before... get a dye test done to see if you are leakin oil anywhere. When oil hits your turbo you will see white smoke. That's the first thing i would check if I were you.

I've been looking under the hood alot (prob gonna rip out alot of those stinkin hoses soon)...there isnt any oil leaking...besides, the smoke was comming outta the exhaust not from under the hood. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

sound like the turbo is about to crap out. if you got white smoke especially between shifts and hear a whine as the turbo spools up, the bearings may be worn which will spit oil into the exhaust side of the turbo making your smoke. easy check is to take out the intake pipe and jiggle the turbo compressor wheel. if you can wiggle it and it moves, it's gonna blow if you keep using it. happened to me a few months ago, same symptoms you got...

It doesn't smoke any more, just that one instance. It only has the real airy sound when the car is cold and its spooling...once the car warms up it sounds OK. Maybe spool is affected cuz i'm 1.5k past due on an oil change...but who knows...16g soon!!

He still didn't say if he had lost any coolant. I have heard (only once, mind you) of a small crack in the 14b coolant passages that peed under boost due to the water pump pressurizing the coolant enough to force it thru the crack and out the exhaust side. Doesn't sound like a hg tho. But if it was oil, the smoke shouldn't be pure white, more of a bluish tint to it. Have someone follow you with their windows open (i mean close up) Oil and antifreeze smell way different. If you can get it to smoke when they are following you, they should be able to tell right away. Antifreeze smells sweet.. Since the center housing is cooled by water as well as oil, you might have had that one in 10,000 ocurrence. btw, you can make a leakdown tester out of a compression tester by removing the schrader valves on the hose that screws into your spark plug hole and (if the hose has a quick disconnect to the guage) hooking it to an air compressor (you may have to change the female end on the hose from the air compressor). Be sure to be on TDCC (top dead center compression) and lock the engine by putting a screwdriver thru the cam gears so it won't turn over once you hit it with the air compressor. Bubbles in the radiator are bad. Air exiting the exhaust or intake is bad. water pouring out of your exhaust or radiator overflow is bad. Air coming out of your valve cover is normal if not too much (take the oil filler cap off first!) due to blowby. If you had total seal type rings, that would be bad, Just make sure you run the engine and get it warmed up first. If the turbo is cracked it normally won't pee if it is still cold.

Well it hasnt been smoking anymore, been runnin fine for a few days. I think the extra pshhhhhh sound i hear when the rubo spools is the WG opening since im not used to hearing open till 15psi and it's set at 13 right now. I'll be sure to check the turbo out good once i take it off to put the 16g on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back