The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

White Smoke / Car Is Smoking White [Merged 7-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apeximprt2nr

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2005
Northern, New_Jersey
Alright guys, well I just finished my 14B install in my 95 GSX. All is well besides some minor oil leaks on the return line and the SS feed line at the filter housing. There was also a VERY minor coolant leak from the front banjo bolt on the turbo. I tightened it a tad and I think i went away. Now the turbo is spooling really late because I think there may be a leak before the turbo.
Now on to the problems.

1. The turbo does not smoke at all besides at WOT sometimes it blows out whiteish grey smoke. I'm trying to think of where it could be burning coolant. It never did this before the turbo install.

2. There was some white smoke the past 2 days at the manifold. I'm thinking its the shitload of PB Blaster that I sprayed all over the car but I'm not sure.

3. There's a smell coming from my engine that I can smell if I pop my hood and it becomes more noticeable when I'm driving and really get on it. It smells like burning plastic sort of, with a mix of burning rubber. The lower heat shield is not on the car because it's a pain to get on and I haven't put it back on because I haven't had time. Nothing is touching anything hot so I 'm confused...The only possible thing is maybe I pout on a new 4 ply exhaust mani. gasket as well as antiseize on most of the bolts and the turbo-mani. bolts.

Any help? Thanks.

eventhough no shaft play id still say oil seals are bad in the turbo. on my first dsm i thought it was a good idea to get a cheap 16g on ebay it was brand new. i put it on my car and 250 miles later i had oil in my pipes and ungodly amounts of white smoke. after getting on here and searching and reading i took my turbo off. it had no shaft play but seals were shot

Ok so the easiest way to explain this in words for tonight is this....

Fill car completely with water and start it up, I get this..... white smoke from the manifold to turbo flange (new gasket), O2 housing to downpipe (new gasket), and massive amount of white smoke from the exhaust.

The water is gone within 5 minutes of either letting it Idle or driving(2 miles to be exact). No oil in coolant and no coolant in oil.

Now all I am really trying to ask is this... I am going to do a leak down test and get compression on all cylinders in the morning but what should teh numbers read? Then after I do that and I'm lucky enough not to have a blown HG... how do I tell or find out if I've busted a coolant seal in the turbo(16G)?

Yes I have used the search function and I keep getting the blown HG problem and I get that but can someone just link me to a thread with pics to figure out how to test the turbo? thanks

I just did a compression test on a 2g last week the numbers read 180 across the board and it is a lower mileage motor around 50k don't know the exact number that its supposed to be.. As for turbo coolant issue me personally I eliminate the turbo coolant lines hook the 2 together with a piece of coolant hose.. But in turn a turbo timer is recommended with that route

How fast are you reaching operating temperature? Check for exhaust leaks before the turbo, and do a combustion gas test on the cooling system. Are you just getting white smoke or overheating too? I know you said you run through water. Also 178 is perfect compression from the factory, 120-130 is below service limit/needs rebuilt. Is the turbo new? Have any parts of the turbo or exhaust system recently been added/modified?

To what you are saying, it sounds like a head gasket,

Make a leak down test and remove the radiator cap, you will see air coming out from the (bubbling), just make sure to fill it up with water before doing the test, or just add some air into each cylinder and look for bubbles in the coolant, if it bubbles, then you have a bad head gasket.

A compression test will not tell you if the gasket is bad, But a leak down test will definitely tells you whats going on.

To what you are saying, it sounds like a head gasket,

Make a leak down test and remove the radiator cap, you will see air coming out from the (bubbling), just make sure to fill it up with water before doing the test, or just add some air into each cylinder and look for bubbles in the coolant, if it bubbles, then you have a bad head gasket.

A compression test will not tell you if the gasket is bad, But a leak down test will definitely tells you whats going on.

+1 on this... Don't wanna say it but sounds like the issue I had with the head gasket... Get a leak down test done...

Standard compression value is 178psi, no less than 133. Deviation across the board of 14psi or less is acceptable. Seems like you should be able to tell if the turbo is leaking after driving it for a bit (after you're at operating temperature) and getting out to inspect. Let us know what you find out.

Wow... I guess ive had a bad Headgasket the entire time. My first compression w as 130-140 all across and I thought that was great pressure. Also sorry to the admins for having to move my thread.

Does anyone know if needing a new wideband sensor be a cause of white smoke?

NO, Unless the sensor stoped working, Just test it and you will know if you need a new one.

But If it is reading the way it was reading, then it should be fine.

The Heat will burn all the water or oil that was inside the exhaust.

Does anyone know if needing a new wideband sensor be a cause of white smoke?
No the wideband is for you to follow your air/fuel while driving and doing wot pulls or for tuning. your cars computer dose not watch that sensor since its not tied into you ecm unless its hooked up to aem ems or dsm link and im pretty sure its not since your asking if a sensor that plays no part in your fuel or air consumption because its not part of the ecm. if your o2 was reading lean then it could be making a darker cloud not a white cloud. white = coolent. white/blue = oil. black = gas (most of the time can be a serious oil leak). :boring:

I know its not the head gasket and my fuel and air is going crazy and i need a new wideband sensor but i was just seeing if that could be the reason.

what makes you think its not your head gasket ? have you checked coolent level since this post or checked for oil coolent mix? these are things we need to know :thumb:

I had someone look at it while i was at work and he said he really doesnt think its that but the codes were erased so cant find it out, im looking to take it to a place called ivey tuning pretty soon.

About a page ago in this thread i have like all the info about it, just replied back after someone else posted
like stated YOUR WIDEBAND is NOT going to MATTER to your car!!! its NOT part of the CARS ecu in any way UNLESS you HAVE AEM EMS or DSM LINK and you hooked it up for it to monitor it. other wise your wasting your time and money trying to fix your wide band its not going to cause white smoke. will someone else please not let him run in the dark. help me out ppl :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back