The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Whistle on deceleration and idle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stmguy42

10+ Year Contributor
May 17, 2012
Greenfield Twp, Pennsylvania
I have a annoying whistle on deceleration and idle. Mods on the car are: Punishment racing full intercooler kit, 1g bov and injen intake. My guess is two possible issues. Throttle body seals or 1g bov.. Any input would be great. I have owned a evo for 10 years prior to this car so im not used to the typical dsm issues..

Is it a really prominent whistle like a turbo whistle on a piped diesel at idle or is it more faint? I would think the BOV could deffinitely cause that. I've also heard some pretty cool noises come from leaky TB's too. Maybe run a blt to see if you can narrow it down that way.

its like a stove pipe whistle. or whistle like herbert (the old man from family guy) its annoying.. im going to do a boost leak cheak when i get the car back from the body shop (currently doing a 95 talon-99 eclipse conversion on it, so my rear bumper support is getting welded)

The 1g bov is a rare case to leak unless you are pushing more than 20psi from a stock turbo. In that case you can just "crush" it to raise its holding potential. Sorry I can't link to it, I'm on my phone. BLT would be a good idea to narrow down where it may be coming from. On decel and idle though, you would be under vacuum. Are you getting a weird idle to go with it? That would indicate a vacuum leak somewhere. Check out your vacuum lines.

Attach a pipe or something to the end of the BOV and vent it towards the ground. That'll at least make the noise less audible.

Hey bro my car a similar annoying whistle that I traced to the rear speakers. LOL call me crazy, but it was sure coming from there. Just thought I'd throw that out there. The whistle would get louder as rpms went up.....

I had the same whistle with same setup as you in my old fwd. Now I have a mostly stock awd with a 1g bog and the noise came back! I think its a 1g bov thing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back