The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Whirring noise from head area

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blujeans

Proven Member
Dec 15, 2018
Calgary, AB_Canada
Just got finished replacing my turbo today, fired up the engine and I noticed this weird whirring noise from the engine. I believe it's coming from somewhere arond the head, but I'm not too sure. Any ideas?

Also don't mind the smoke, it's just penetrating oil burning off the exhaust manifold
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sounds stupid but that almost sounds like a fan is on. Is this a rebuilt or a used turbo you swapped in? What other modifications have you completed since it last run assuming it didnt sound like this before you started working on it?

It did make this noise before the new turbo, so I’m ruling that out for now

As for the temperature it was about 5 degrees at the time (Celsius), I also found the fluid was low for the PS so I topped that up. Will start it up again today to see if that fixes it

When I dropped the front subframe last year I had to disconnect and drain the power steering fluid, and when I put everything back in I initially forgot to replace the fluid, and it made the most awful sound when I turned the steering wheel. I quickly realized my error and topped off the fluid, and it went away.

Anyway, point being that it sounded nothing like what I'm hearing here. More high-pitched and whiny like the sound of metal scraping on metal--which is precisely what it was. Hopefully it didn't so any damage although I have noticed that steering is a bit harder than what I can recall.

Could there be a vacuum leak somewhere as it sounds a little like air escaping?

Took the car out for it's first drive under my ownership today, and the noise is gone now.

Although the tradeoff is that the new turbo is puking oil and I think I have a massive boost leak LOL.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire...

Seriously though, ever since I got my Talon back on the road a few months ago after sitting for over 6 years, it just hasn't felt the same.

Partly it's because it still needs some work and I'm trying not to drive it too much before I get to what still needs to be done (trans, rear suspension, clutch pedal/hydraulics, TB, new pads and rotors, various other odds and ends).

Partly because it was so long since I last drove it that it just feels weird to do so again, kind of out of body but hard to explain.

And partly because the improvements I've already made to it make it a better ride than it was towards the end, before it died (not the right word since it was basically a clutch that wore out).

It's like I'm driving the car it was not 6 years ago, but 16 or 26 years ago. And it's only going to get weirder as I complete the repairs and restoration. It's a bit like one of those movies where you're 17 again and in high school.

Anyway, keep at it and you'll get it all fixed.

We have the exact same car btw. Seems like the '92 TSi AWD manual was the sweet spot for 1G's. Mine's a mid-year just before the switch to 7-bolt and just after the switch to a 4 bolt rear axle. Totally blind luck but I really timed my purchase well. It even has the audio system with the aux-in, to feed in MP3s without having to fool around with FM or Bluetooth adapters.

Yeah this one's got the 6 bolt and rear 4-bolt LSD, and the best looking body IMO so it was the best time for the 1G.

Oh yeah and I also found out the compression is about ~125 PSI across all the cylinders :banghead:

I think that 2G's & 3G's also look nice, but I agree, the '92 was nice, especially its side profile. It looks like a fighter jet with that cockpit top and flowing lines.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back