The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Whining transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
Please read the entire post before answering.

Ok, here is the deal. I recently did an inspection of all my fluids since I noticed my A/T tranny is not going into gear as fast as it used to after I installed my FMIC. I did not think I lost that much fluid when I installed it and I only put 1/2 quart of tranny fluid back in it. Today, I put it in reverse and it felt like it popped out a sec and when back in when rolling backwards with no throttle so my first guess was low transmission fluid. I went by Autozone and bought some tranny fluid just in case. When I checked the fluid level, it looked good, but it was dark so I had to get home and check it to ensure. I checked it several times in park and in neutral and could not get a good reading but a few times there was a void on the dip stick under the full line so I proceeded to add a little fluid. As SOON as I started adding fluid, the transmission started to whine EXTREMELY loud. The transmission was in neutral when I added the fluid. I did not even put 1/4 a quart in the transmission. I checked the fluid again, but still could not get a good reading but I did notice air bubbles in the fluid on the dip stick. The whining sounds EXACTLY like when the power steering fluid is low. Should I add more fluid or what? When I check the fluid level, it reads all over the place over the full line except for an occasional void between the cold and the hot marks.

anyone? I need to get this figured out today since this is my only mode of transportation to work! i work 44 miles one way away from my house and i really don't want to get stranded!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back