The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Whining noise in timing area after full rebuild and BSE.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjgrig01

Probationary Member
Aug 2, 2021
New Albany, Indiana

Here is a link to the noise in question.

The car: 1995 Talon M/T with BSE and evo3 16g.

The engine was just rebuilt, makes great oil pressure and has great compression. It didn't do this before the rebuild. Note that the P/S pump, Water Pump and alternator are disconnected in this clip so we can eliminate those possibilities.

What, could this possibly be coming from? It sounds like hydraulic pump whine so its possible that it could be the oil pump, but the pump is brand new and from what I hear it does not use straight cut gears.

Any advice is appreciated!

I'd guess the new timing belt is wearing in so it's causing the whine. Did you get it properly tensioned? Not too loose, not too tight. I am assuming it is new as well as the tensioner pulley? Did you make sure the pulley spun freely and didn't make a noise?

It doesn't sound like an oil pump to me. I remember I had a very similar noise when I rebuilt mine as well as a new timing belt.

If your referring to the noise throughout the video thats just the belt, it’s much more pronounced with all the covers off. I can hear a faint bearing noise after a few seconds that goes away. Idk if you reused an old tensioner or not. Maybe I keep my belt too tight but mine always sound like this.

I'd guess the new timing belt is wearing in so it's causing the whine. Did you get it properly tensioned? Not too loose, not too tight. I am assuming it is new as well as the tensioner pulley? Did you make sure the pulley spun freely and didn't make a noise?

It doesn't sound like an oil pump to me. I remember I had a very similar noise when I rebuilt mine as well as a new timing belt.
I did install a new timing belt as well as all new pulleys and a tensioner. As far as proper belt tension, I followed a video guide since every dsm tuner has their own preferences. Belt is tight but it does give a bit when pulled on top and sides.

As far as pulleys spinning freely yes they felt like nice new bearings however there's still the possibility of getting a crap bearing from God knows where in the world.

Can new belts make that kind of noise? This belt has like 350 miles on it as well as several hours of idle time.

If your referring to the noise throughout the video thats just the belt, it’s much more pronounced with all the covers off. I can hear a faint bearing noise after a few seconds that goes away. Idk if you reused an old tensioner or not. Maybe I keep my belt too tight but mine always sound like this.
Odd, I had no clue a belt could make that much racket. Tensioners are new. Its quite loud, even droning out the turbo and some exhaust at times. It sounds exactly like a power steering pump but clearly isn't as that is new and is not even connected in the vid.

It’s not like a splined belt that guides itself in along the grooves. All the surface area of the drive side of the belt is slapping the surface of each tooth on the cam and crank. Same reason why dog boxes with straight cut gears are much more audible, they whine due to the contact. Then again as I said maybe I keep it to tight, I’ve never had one fail though and I’ve done countless.

It’s not like a splined belt that guides itself in along the grooves. All the surface area of the drive side of the belt is slapping the surface of each tooth on the cam and crank. Same reason why dog boxes with straight cut gears are much more audible, they whine due to the contact. Then again as I said maybe I keep it to tight, I’ve never had one fail though and I’ve done countless.
I appreciate the thoughts here and your response to my thread here but unless this timing belt is different that other timing belts then I find it hard to believe that it could cause this noise. I've built many engines with the same style belt and never have I gotten this noise. Again I do thank you for your response. I'm leaning more toward a bad bearing or hell maybe the belt IS too tight.

I plan on pulling the timing cover and inspecting the pulleys and tensioning the belt as per the shop manual.

Thanks again though!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back