The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

while under boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91-gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
San Jose, California
hi my car stumbles and does not accelerate smoothly while under boost, i know i get boost cut but why is this stumbling happening? and why does the car bog down when i shift gears?
mods:
maf blow-thru, translator set for 430cc inj so that i run richer and i do not get as much knock.
n1 2 1/2 to 3 in. downpipe to 2 1/2 in piping into stock muffler. not cat
pacesetter manifold.
intake.
ngkbpr6es plugs
accel plugs
stock 14b
logger

ive heard the pacsetter mani cracks very easy, maybe you have a bad exhaust leak from that, if so i would suggest go to slow boyracing and buy the EVO3 mani or find a 2g and nicely port it out,if this is the problem, im just saying if the mani is cracked

sounds like lean surge=BAD! or you could be missfireing check your wires and plugs

the same thing happened one day after i came back from the track this is before the maft setup and i had the lower honeycomb on the stock 1g mas removed becuase i knew the catless downpipe will cause boost creep and cut. i cam back from the track and the exhaust gasket between the turbo and the manifold blew becuase of cheap material and when i got a good mitsu one on it would not let me go past 6000 it would just go slow to 6000 rpm and stay there. what do you guys think everything is good i just fixed m,y comp after timing belt change and belt is on right, good compression, cant figure it out.
help please

anybody else with some experience in this, if it is a lean surge, what do i do, how do i get rid of it i want to get bigger injectors and a dsm chip stage 3.
thanks

the dsmchip will get rid of your fuel cut which seems like your problem. and with the shifting, i noticed when i tried to set my maf-t with more than one setting difference between the 3 knobs then it wouldnt shift good. I currently have mine set for stock injectors, idle down 1 and the others on 0. you could try to lean it out a notch to see if it helps fuel cut to see if that is what is making your car studder. hope this helps a little.

- Dom

its cool dude thanks for the info but i have been through all of it already, i think i have some cases of phantom knock and when i set me injectors to 450cc on the maft i get about 23 knocks and when i lean it out to prevent fuel cut well lets just say it knocked 43 times which is the most...now it is set for 430cc injectors and the idle on 3 and the other 2 on 0. what was it you did to prevent the bog during shifts again?
the thing that just makes me confused is why i ran at the track and blew my turbo gasket and when i fixed it, it would i think cut timing becuase of knock, just like it would now. another problem i have is that the hoses on my upper intercooler piping go from 2 1/2 to the 3in. gm maf and then to 2 1/2 again, and it seems like my car might be overboosting becuase of the amount of air coming out of the bov and that the coupler that goes from 2 1/2 to 3in on the piping that goes in to the maf always blows off, then again maf does not have much of a lip but the other side does not blow off, and i even got t clamps. i want this discussion to be general and for people who have had my problems, some or all, just to point me in the right direction.
thanks for your replies so far.

any other ideas what it might be?

I ran into a similar problem with a customers 90 GSX. It drove me nuts for about 2 days 'til i found it. Injectors for cyl 3 and 4 were leaning out at about 5500 causing a severe cut out. changed the injectors and the problem went away. don't know if this helps or not.

you know what, im just gonna go for injectors and the dsm chip next, sense it seems tobe that the car stutters while accelerating and feels like shit becuase of either the injectors or the fuel cut. well thanks for the help, but do you guys know which kind of injectors i should get because im gonna upgrade the turbo later but for now im gonna push my 14b a little more, i mean after the injs and chip.
what brand is best, i think it is denso but almost double the price of others?
what cc i should get, it will probably be way to big for the 14b but keep in mind a upgrade later like a 60-1 turbo?
what things should i do about the case of my boost creep, i know stuff like better o2 housing but anything else?
thanks

Well, you're still running the stock pump right? Have you changed the fuel filter? How much boost are you running? i'llbet too much and be HONEST!!
650cc inectors. Dejon sells them for around $300. PTE's I think and they work fine with my 60-1, 75% duty at 22+PSI. Get a set of Magnacore wires and be sure the plugs are set at .028". I do not recognize the part # of those NGK's.
6000RPM on a basically stock 12+ year old system sounds about right. 14PSI should be max in my opinion.
How isyour IC? Been cleaned?
You plan to jump from a 14b to a 60-1 and there are a couple thousand bucks of mods in between. What is your base timing set at? Get the car running 100% before any mods and youwillbe a happy DSM owner!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back