The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Which Turbo Should I Get [merged] What Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
Which turbo will be sufficient for consistent 11 second times? I've recently decided on a big 16g, but will that be big enough to run 11s with supporting mods and decent tuning? Remember, this is for a budget street car, so any one purchase over $1k is tough. A big 16g will run about $700-900, which is about $300-400 less than the larger alternatives.

Of course, I'll need lots of practice to run these times, but, I just want to make sure that it's possible before the money is spent.

Are you knowledgeable when it comes to the DSM platform?

When it comes to holsets, the HX40 is usually the go to turbo for making power. The HX35 7 blade can be expected to make a little over 500whp maxxed out on a built and well setup car. It would be easier to use an HX 40 or the 35/40 hybrid.

The HX35/40 hybrid would also work fine for that power goal.

I'd shy away from the HE351 because we have no way to control the VGT system that it uses to spool fast.

An even cheaper replacement would be the 14b (stock 1g manual turbo and flows more than t25). I guess it depends on your goals though. small 16g>14b>T25. If you go with the 16g or 14b you'll need a j pipe, water lines, and oil lines.

edit: ^^T28 is direct bolt up including the lines.

what is around the max whp does the 14b put down?

So long story short back in may I bought a 92 talon that was making 760 awhp at 36psi on a dynojet with a garrett gt4294. a valve guide dropped and trashed the engine and turbo. I'm in the process of a rebuild and want some help on where to go with the turbo

here is a decent list of what my setup will be come spring. I know I'm missing some stuff and some things aren't verified. I haven't had enough time to double check everything in the car.

Map stage 2 Short block:
.020 over wiseco 1400hd 8.5:1
Pauter xbeam
Stock crank
Main girdle

Cylinder head:
Ferrea springs and retainers
Ferrea competition plus +1mm valves
Comp 101400 camshafts
Adjustable cam gears
Full port and polish

Turbo system:
Turbo???????? (previous turbo: garrett gt4294 .91 a/r)
Red jack racing tubular top mount t4 manifold
Tial 38mm wastegate
4in vband down pipe
Intake system:
Redjack racing fmic
3in intercooler piping
Jmfab drag intake manifold
Q45 throttle body

Fuel system:
Twin walbro 310lph fuel pumps (not verified)
Larger fuel line
Larger fuel rail
F.I.C. 2150cc injectors
Aeromotive fpr
Aeromotive fuel filter
Full blown dual pump hanger (not yet installed)
Kenne bell boost a pump (not yet installed)
Tuning:

AEM ems

Improvements/changes being made.

the old setup had 1600cc injectors, the head wasn't ported or polished, I'm adding a boost a pump for added security.

Sorry that was so long. now to my options. I'm wide open with what I want to run. I'm leaning towards a borg warner 67mm s400sx or an fp hta4294

some others being considered are an fp hta3794, pte 6466, and a pte 6766.

any opinions and info will be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Ps:I've done tons of searching on here and dsm talk and my local forum

Well what are you wanting to accomplish with it? More power? Better spool? What?

I'd like to make some more power if I can. If it would be possible I'd like to bump her up over 800 awhp on a dynojet. I should add I'm running e85 and would like to keep it on e85 for now

No more oddball than a JB 4202. There are some in the classifieds when I looked last week. I have two, a standard 67, and a Pro 71 LOL

I was able to bottom mount mine and fit a full-size radiator. Pics in profile

I guess I was referring to holset in general. I'm more looking for something brand new and haven't been able to find them new

Volvo and Mack Dealers carry them, you will need a VIN for a D12 powered Volvo when you call the shop.

Brand new OE Holset is as expensive as Garrett/PTE when brand new.

You can find them in classifieds online

I have a 20G on my car and I love it, plus its an easy bolt on with no modification needed. Cheapest bang for your buck. I went cheap and got a Godspeed 20G for $300. Came with all the hardware and oil lines, everything bolted up good. I've only had it on for 1000 miles so we'll see how it works out. My friend has had a Godspeed 16g on his car for over a year and half so I'm not too worried. For the most part you get what you pay for, but we'll see how it holds up. If your on a tight budget thats my .02, people may disagree and say spend the money, but I'm giving it a shot.

As the title says I just need your recommendations on wich turbo is best for an automatic 2g my goals are 300-350 whp street daily driven and also it is any fmi that actually works with auto transmission without modifications ??

well first of all the answer to your question is a evo big 16g from the classifeids and you cant just slap a bigger turbo on and go fast , you need matching upgrades such as a tuneing software , a boost controller and bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump , but you can run the 16g without mods but you will just hit fuel cut LOL not the best thing to hit in a dsm

Some of the supporting are already installed on my car and the rest like bigger injectors,bigger fuel pump and a eprom ecu with a chip are ordered I just need recommendations before I buy the turbo and fmi and yes I been working on the car maintenance before I go to the next step

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back